Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll! Which of these 3 UHP 19” tires do I get?

Which UHP tires should I get?

• Dunlop Signature HP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Yokohama Advan Sport A/S

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
  • Yes, must be all-seasons. UHP because this is a Performance 3!
  • And 19” wheels are ordered and on their way
  • And I prefer the 19” OEM size of 235/40-19

So, which should I go with? These are the three choices on Tirerack.

24B49FEF-6FCF-403D-8F22-91FAE0D9955F.jpeg

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 245/40ZR19 98Y.

Better tire than the three you specified. Does not come in a 235/40R19 size, but the 245/40ZR19 fits the 19x8.5 wheels and only has a 1.1% speedometer error.

Thank you for this suggestion! I was looking at the same tires as the OP and feeling salty that I couldn't get the top Michelins or Continentals in the 19" sport wheel size. Called my local tire store and now have the pilot sport a/s 3+ on order.

Reactions: e-FTW
  • Yes, must be all-seasons. UHP because this is a Performance 3!
  • And 19” wheels are ordered and on their way
  • And I prefer the 19” OEM size of 235/40-19
So, which should I go with? These are the three choices on Tirerack.

View attachment 431454

You must have missed this page at tire rack. It shows that the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 plus All Season is the highest rated best performing and sportiest Tire in its class. We own a pair. They are very close in the dry to the class leading Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, probably the best performing Max performance Street Tire for people who are not tracking their cars. Compared to the 4S, the 3+ ride a little bit more firmly, and they're a little bit noisier, obviously way safer in cold weather, way better in snow and probably not quite as good in wet weather, but of course the 4S might be the best wet weather Tire anybody's ever made.

But for an all-season Tire they are simply spectacular. You'd be foolish to consider anything else.

Last edited:
You must have missed this page at tire rack. It shows that the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 plus All Season is the highest rated best performing and sportiest Tire in its class. We own a pair. They are very close in the dry to the class leading Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, probably the best performing Max performance Street Tire for people who are not tracking their cars. Compared to the 4S, the 3+ ride a little bit more firmly, and they're a little bit noisier, obviously way safer in cold weather, way better in snow and probably not quite as good in wet weather, but of course the 4S might be the best wet weather Tire anybody's ever made.

But for an all-season Tire they are simply spectacular. You'd be foolish to consider anything else.
I did not miss that page. I was limited in my choices by blindly shopping for OEM sizes.

I did not miss that page. I was limited in my choices by blindly shopping for OEM sizes.

So what's your decision? I understand the OEM size constraint but the 245 size tire will actually give you a bit better pull at higher speeds because it keeps the motor closer to its horsepower Peak, and corrects the speedo error. Plus it reduces the wheel well Gap and if you're going to ever lower your car the larger tires look great.

Last edited:
Reactions: e-FTW
So what's your decision? I understand the OEM size constraint but the 245 size tire will actually give you a bit better pull at higher speeds because it keeps the motor closer to its horsepower Peak, and corrects the speedo error

He said he was contemplating it, but I believe the wheels he ordered were 19x8. To fit 245 width tires, you really need 19x8.5 wheels, so he would have to do a wheel exchange before buying the 245 tires.

If you want to push it, you can squeeze 245's onto a 19x8 wheel, but it may not have optimal handling, as the sidewall will be bulged out.

He said he was contemplating it, but I believe the wheels he ordered were 19x8. To fit 245 width tires, you really need 19x8.5 wheels, so he would have to do a wheel exchange before buying the 245 tires.

If you want to push it, you can squeeze 245's onto a 19x8 wheel, but it may not have optimal handling, as the sidewall will be bulged out.

Good point. I wasn't aware of the wheel width constraints.

Yup, understand that. I am not tracking this car (well, maybe once). Frankly, at the limit handling is not a concern, this thing is much faster than I am.
So 245 on 8 inch wheels it shall be. More curb protection for the sweet forged wheels I am getting.

And looking at the specs, the section width is only .4 inches wider on the 245 Michelins compared to the 235 Yokohamas (which my wheel guy says run narrow). Thread width is .8 inches difference.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A/S+3++(W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated)&partnum=44YR9PSAS3PLXL

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=ADVAN+Sport+A/S&partnum=34WR9ADSASXL&autoMake=Tesla&autoModel=Model+3+Performance&autoYear=2018&autoModClar=Performance+Brakes

Last edited:
All 3 tires OP chose has 4 Stars and low number of reviews (around 100) on tirerack.

Where as the Pirelli P7 plus has 10x the reviews (over 1000) and close to a perfect 5 stars. I wonder why that is?

The P7 plus is not a UHP tire.

You asked for high efficiency UHP, no such tire exists. You pick one or the other.

You can pick the most efficient UHP tire or the best performing High Efficiency tire. I chose the later. So did an order of magnitude more customers on tirerack and apparently they are happier with the results.

Oh and the P7 plus has a rim saver bead to boot.