Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Who's read the manual?

Poll: Who's read the manual?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We see a lot of RTFM when someone asks a basic question. Curious who has actually read the manual?

I haven't read it front to back, but I do read it when I want to know something I don't know.
we also see a bunch of basic questions that only require kinder level search foo to answer :)
I wonder how many current owners even know the manual is available in the car.

Reactions: whatthe2
Was planning to read the manual prior to picking the car up, but found a couple of good youtube videos that explained most of the things. Now I just look up specific things in the manual when I need to find something.

Reactions: whatthe2
I read it in advance of picking up. Was amazing to know all the things the car can do. I figured a good first read wouldn't completely stay with me but if I had a question in the future it might help trigger what I had read or at the very least know I could go back and re-read a section. Watched the videos too but those were just a subset and quick basics to get you going and not a substitute for the manual.

Interesting, thanks for all the replies. A lot more people actually read it than I thought (good job peeps). I'm curious, for those that have read it, are you typical manual readers of products you buy, or just in this instance? If I were still in school, I could draw up a paper on this, but that was long ago, so curiosity has gotten the best of me.

@dsvick, +1! I read mine a couple of days before the adoption ceremony, then again about a week and 250 miles after pickup. Now I use the manual as a reference to answer specific questions as they may occur. I also like to check out new versions of the manual to catch up on changes since the last version. Current version, I believe, is November 12, 2018.

I read the manual twice before even getting the car (a 2.5 year wait will do that to you), and another two times after. There's so much to this car! Yet despite that, I still forget some things if I don't need to immediately apply what I've read (such as learning that the rear defrost controls the heated mirrors when reading the manual in summer). To answer your other question, I almost always read the manual when I buy something new.

I guess I'm kind of a tech nerd, but I enjoy looking for changes in the manual when Tesla releases new versions. To do that, I use this free online tool from Draftable to highlight the differences. (Note that you will likely have to compress the PDF down as they have to be smaller than 10 MB to use the free tool. For that I use this.)

I watched damn near every Model 3 video on YouTube before I got the car. I decided to suck it up one time while my GF was in a store and RTFM. However, when I went to read it, it just displayed a blank white window. I looked again the other day just for giggles, and it worked fine, but I still haven't read though it.

Just an FYI, some of us can't read the manual in our cars. My manual has never been available in my MCU, it's just blank content holders. There's many more who I know have the same issue. I also can't use my browser. I'm not sure if it's a LTE issue or not. I have the digital version downloaded from online, but it's very annoying that I can't read it on my MCU since they don't print a version (which makes sense since it changes a lot).

Reactions: ConcordeSST
Just an FYI, some of us can't read the manual in our cars. My manual has never been available in my MCU, it's just blank content holders. There's many more who I know have the same issue. I also can't use my browser. I'm not sure if it's a LTE issue or not. I have the digital version downloaded from online, but it's very annoying that I can't read it on my MCU since they don't print a version (which makes sense since it changes a lot).

I really wish they'd just deliver an offline version of the manual as necessary with each software update. I'd always assumed they were doing that, but then I noticed that my manual would also be unavailable whenever my browser wasn't working (screen reboot sometimes helps). So it seems like they are downloading pages of the manual with the browser on demand, but I'm not totally certain about that.