Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Why do you think Tesla is raising FSD by $1K November 1, 2019?

Why do you think Tesla is raising FSD by $1K November 1, 2019? Discussion about the Tesla Model 3

• Quick cash grab for current quarter

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • They think smart summon justifies higher FSD price

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • They are about to release additional functionality and want the increase to precede it

Votes: 49 43.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are getting some cash from the US market while they are making the Euro cars.

Until city driving is achieved its just not worth it to spend the cash (7k or 6k) on the car changing lanes for you and summon. AP still freaks out with overpass shadows and doesn't show cars next to you at lights half the time. There's no way they are close to providing a system any lawyers would be comfortable with releasing to the public.

Eh, overall the prices of the cars have gone down since 2017 even with the tax credits going away. So, yes, today someone is paying $2k less than I did for the same package. I paid $51,500 for my LR RWD before EAP and FSD. I can spec out a nice AWD today the same for $50,490 and it comes with AP. With the tax credits ($7500 vs $1875), that car is only $4600 more expensive than mine and it includes AP. I believe the original price gap between LR and AWD was $5000. So, if I ordered today I would get AP for free compared to what I originally paid.

Tesla's car prices have fallen but that's different from saying the price of FSD has gone down. It hasn't.

Tesla's car prices have fallen but that's different from saying the price of FSD has gone down. It hasn't.

You were the one who brought up car prices in the first place. If we remove the price of the car from the equation, the price has gone from $8k to $6k for the package. That looks like a price decrease to me. No one is paying $2k for basic AP anymore, it is included in the price of the car.

As much as I appreciate Elon's impressive qualities, pricing, timing and transparency are not always his strong suit....so sorry if I don't think one of his tweets is "end of story"

This wasn't intended to be a biased poll, but rather the more I thought about it, the more layers of possibly creep into the picture.

On the surface this could simply be tied to smart summon. Done. But, I'm not sure if it's really that simple. [/QUOTE}

I mean- he literally said it was and then followed it up several times to confirm it. But you do you.

You were the one who brought up car prices in the first place. If we remove the price of the car from the equation, the price has gone from $8k to $6k for the package. That looks like a price decrease to me. No one is paying $2k for basic AP anymore, it is included in the price of the car.

..which went up 2k when they made AP standard. So, still 8.

But of a silly argument. Tesla did not reduce the price of FSD — that’s a fact.

And, as I said, Tesla raised the price of the SR+ $2K when it included Autopilot as a standard feature so Autopilot is no way “free.”

Also, AP is not FSD. The price for FSD went up from $3K to $6K but now includes some things that were formerly part of Enhanced Autopilot so as a practical matter the price of the FSD features hasn’t changed. The only thing that’s changed is that basic Autopilot features are now bundled instead of an option. Bundling an option and increasing the base price does not make AP “free.” It definitely doesn’t reduce the price of FSD.

Anyhoo ... l’ll move on since you seem to be stuck on this for some reason ....

Last edited:
Because Summon shows how far Tesla is from FSD

Given summon runs (and explicitly was designed to run) on 2.5 HW, and FSD will require HW3, it really shows nothing of the kind.

We'll have no idea how far FSD is until folks with HW3 actually get HW3-specific code (especially HW3 specific city driving code)

Allegedly that begins by end of this year, but ya know, Elon Time.

But of a silly argument. Tesla did not reduce the price of FSD — that’s a fact.

That kind of depends on what group you're talking about. I ended up paying 2.5x the price to add FSD to my delivery-equipped EAP model 3 because I purchased a few days too early (went down a full $3k). It still would have been cheaper for me to buy today, 8+ months later, I believe. Sure felt like a price reduction...

The FSD price difference from the EAP->AP switch-over is a bit more complicated (mostly agree with your argument), but I'm just saying that I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see another FSD sale. The after-deliver FSD price for my vehicle has just been too wild to assume much there IMO ($5k EAP + FSD for $4k->$5k->$3k->$2k->$5k->$6k->$3k->$4k {soon I believe} ... or all for $5k at one point if I hadn't have purchased EAP). And with FSD actually adding features today (over AP), I think it only makes sense that the pricing risk may even be higher (It's crazy to see a preorder price swing like that {FSD still adds nothing to EAP}. Much more expected with delivered products ... i.e, the early adopter fee).

Why? What does anyone else’s purchase price, transaction, discount, negotiation or vehicle have anything to do with you?

I don’t get this mentality ... at all. The only thing that matters is what YOU pay for YOUR vehicle. Whether someone else pays a dollar or two hundred thousand dollars has no bearing whatsoever on your completed transaction. None.

Your Buick description in your signature "Hers: Buick Enclave Premium; White Diamond Tricoat; 20" Polished Aluminum; Black Interior; no AP or FSD! Smells like dead dinosaurs." is awesome :)

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
Your Buick description in your signature "Hers: Buick Enclave Premium; White Diamond Tricoat; 20" Polished Aluminum; Black Interior; no AP or FSD! Smells like dead dinosaurs." is awesome :)

At the moment, it smells more like dead deer than dead dinosaurs... had a little run-in this week on the interstate. Waiting to see what the insurance company thinks... if they total it out, we might just get a Model X and eliminate that dead dino scent altogether ;)

• Funny
Reactions: AlasCon