Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Why do you want a Tesla? [from 2016]

What most interests you in a Tesla?

• Most Advanced Tech of any car: Autopilot/Autosteer, Over-the-Air Updates, GUI, falcon wing doors etc

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • Safest Cars in the world by significant margin: Front crumple zone, side impact, rollover, roof etc

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Unparallelled Performance: Quickest acceleration with ludicrous mode, great handling, etc

Votes: 16 5.2%
  • Best Electric Car: Fastest charging with extensive Supercharging network, longest range, lowest COD

Votes: 50 16.4%
  • All of the above: Consistently makes the best rated cars in the world (EV or not) of each class

Votes: 218 71.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alot of people assume reservations were made due to high interest in EVs, but I disagree; I feel that people want a Tesla because they are the best cars in the world, the fact that they are Electric is just a bonus! At least that's how I ended up trading in my car for an S nearly 6x more expensive :)

I previously had bought a Subaru Legacy with Eyesight when it debuted here with the 2013 model (similar to Autopilot but without Autosteer, it was the first car under $30k with full adaptive cruise, collision avoidance which was the best rated for preemptive braking, also lane departure warning); at the time I looked at Tesla and although it was cool, it had none of those features so I did not even consider it! Little did I know Elon must have read my mind since he was quietly working on Autopilot.

Then late 2014 I heard the new generation of Subaru's Eyesight was coming out and I was very close to trading mine in for the new Subaru until I saw an article about Tesla's Autopilot with Autosteer; My heart started beating faster, breathing heavily at the thought of having the only car in the world that can steer itself! (Next best is Mercedes which can steer only like 10 secs at a time and tested much worse than Tesla)

The other benefits of Tesla were great too but not so unique: I could get a cheaper performance/sports car, cheaper electric car, already had a cheaper car with almost every feature of Autopilot except steering, my Subaru was pretty safe too though the Tesla safety is by far better than any other car on every test, and over-the-air updates make it the only car that improves the longer you own t plus the big screen was amazing but the large price stull made me hesitant... the one thing that pushed me (and my Dad got a Tesla too at the same time since we both love Tech) over the edge was Autosteering (and just got a 30% raise at my new job). I traded my Subaru in for $17k for my S85D at almost $100k and never once have regretted my decision! :D

I think what Elon has done is truly remarkable, he didn't just try to make the best EV that environmentally conscious people could stand to live with... he made the best cars in the world that just happen to be EVs and EVERYONE wants to own! :)

Last edited:
It's definitely a combination of factors. A move to sustainable transportation, quick acceleration, lower maintenance, investing in American tech companies, saving energy costs, convenience of being able to charge at home (road trips are maybe <=1% of cases for me).

Reactions: Big-Al
Let's be real and add "status icon" to the list! Tesla is a cool company and makes cool cars!

The major items have been covered a million times before, and as we know, life is all about the little things, so let's focus on those for a moment!
  • The smell on your hands after you're done pumping gasoline
  • Having to stand outside in the cold/rain/etc while pumping gas
  • The lingering smell of exhaust when you go out to your garage to get some beer hours after parking your car
  • The momentary panic when you can't remember the last time you had an oil change and are wondering if you've done irreparable damage to your engine
  • Popping the hood and seeing tons of *sugar* and dirty machinery
  • Remembering you haven't glanced at the engine temperature gauge in a while and holding your breath wondering what you're gonna do if it's in the red
  • Seeing a pool of liquid on the ground in the morning and swearing to yourself as you bend over and smell it because it could be any number of different liquids
  • Scraping ice off your car and coughing as you inhale straight exhaust
  • Panic attack when you remember you left the oil cap sitting on the car frame after adding oil and pull over as gently as possible, hoping and praying the cap isn't lost forever
  • Occasionally popping the hood "just to make sure" everything looks okay
  • The tiny bit of gas that still splashes onto your jeans even after you shook the nozzle for 15 seconds
The list goes on, but that's all for now!

My answer doesn't as much reflect what most interests me in Tesla, but what first interested me in owning a Tesla. It's the only reason I ever considered a car in the price range of a Model S or a Model X, and why I jumped at the reservation deposit for the Model 3 - these are the safest cars on the road.

People in general are notoriously bad at applying statistics toward their own lives. I've only been in one bad accident, and I've drastically cut my driving miles by moving from 25 miles from where I work to within 8 miles. When I read about the crash test results and the outcomes of accidents with the Model S, that was the first time it crossed my mind to get one. My wife and I love visiting the Sierras here in California, and the thought of doing so in a car with that low of a center of gravity and that kind of handling made it even more enticing. The safety of these vehicles was very compelling. Of course, we wouldn't think of spending that much on a car...

So, despite her incredible pragmatism and logic when it comes to our joint financial decisions, what convinced her? Going for a ride in a friend's P85 and doing a few launches. As we exited the car, she said to me, "We have to figure out how to get one."

We're still going back and forth between taking the big hit of getting the much roomier Model X sooner, or waiting some extra months and getting the smaller Model 3. The dominant plan at this point is leaning toward the Model 3, then seeing about the Model Y when it becomes available. With more research and some experience with driving the Model S, "all of the above" certainly applies, but it was safety first.

Reactions: DougR
I jumped at the reservation deposit for the Model 3 - these are the safest cars on the road.
I love this answer, and I thank you for posting it. So many people give lip service to safety, but when it comes to paying for it? No thank you! I want _____ (fill in the blank) or this car isn't worth the money.

People in general are notoriously bad at applying statistics toward their own lives.
Wildly true.

I've only been in one bad accident
Here is where I have to be pedantic and criticize... I'm guessing that you have not been in an accident. But you were probably in a terrible crash or collision. Crashes are rarely accidents. Crashes and collisions are almost always a result of an avoidable bad decision by one or more of the drivers. Calling all crashes "accidents" implies that we can't do anything to prevent them. And this inadvertently *decreases* are safety. Words really do matter... maybe even more than airbags.

Collision is statement of fact
Accident is statement of cause

When I read about the crash test results
See? Easy to use the correct, objective word. Crash and accident are not synonyms. (At least we should not be using them as such).

and the outcomes of accidents with the Model S
That really limits the data points. I'm certain that you mean the crash or collision outcomes.

Thanks for letting me use your post to get the message out: Crashes are not accidents!

Best EV ever built is the Model S. The model 3 will bring EVs to the masses just as Elon intended.

I would bet that 5 years after the 3 goes on sale a good number of 3 owners will move up to the Model S.

One of the downsides to me on the S, is it's size... I like small cars... I drive a Mini, and it's so nimble and easy to park.... and fast... engine/suspension mods help there also ;)! I am concerned the 3 might be too big... I have never owned a sedan before, always been a 2 door guy, one of the problems with 4 doors is that dam pillar, it's usually too far forward, it's easy to run into... Not the case on a 2 door car.... I think the #1 thing for me, is free go juice, never having to pay for gas, and probably not for electricity also ... and Autopilot! I hate driving in traffic. I thought about buying an automatic again, then thought, why not try an EV? Then I found out that Tesla has Autopilot now, and watched many videos on youtube. Being able to take a long freeway drive, in stop and go traffic, without having to do anything but make sure the car doesn't do something screwy is something I really look forward to! I will surely start driving more! Or, not driving ;) "Let me not drive!" from LA Story.

Range, range, safety and range.

As I drive a Model S more, and as time passes, I appreciate the safety features, the enhanced driveability (see AP "convenience" features) as well as the underlying mission. The mission cannot be understated, given the eventual impact upon mankind.

Meanwhile, more range for the M3, please. The more range, the less impact to the SC network near and far.

Two years hence, I'd be surprised if, for the base model, 215 does not become 225.

All in good time.

He did not forget that, it is within the option "Best Electric Car:"
Right I was implying people look who for electric cars are environmentally conscious although you could argue many of the other benefits are because it is electric!

For example the instant torque of electric and great handling from low center of gravity from the battery cells on the floor makes it exceed performance of comparable ICE cars. Also, the industry leading safety is in part due to it being electric: large crumple zone due to the lack of ICE components, low center of gravity as mentioned above also makes it nearly impossible to rolliver, and I think someone said the battery floor makes the sides very rigid/strong to limit side impact to significantly less than the next best car (a guy on here survived getting Tboned in driver side door)

Also for now there is some debate over net environmental impact until electricity is produced more from clean/alternative energy so I didn't really want to bring up discussion of that.