Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's see, I own a Bolt, but I don't drive it on long trips. I take the Tesla. Bolt replaced a Nissan Leaf with a rated range of 84 miles.
Fine arrangement.

I'm going to have a similar setup, but keep my LEAF and buy a Model 3.
The major difference is cost and car preference rather than the small additional utility the Bolt provides over the LEAF.
And about cost: I paid $8,300 for the LEAF and will presumably pay somewhere in the range of $35k - $45k for the Model 3

In a nutshell, this explains the Bolt failure in the market: It is way more expensive than a LEAF but does little more; and is not much less expensive (if at all) compared to a Model 3 but does a LOT less.

Reactions: KJD
How many miles would it have to beat the Bolt to be a "huge" PR win? a 10th of a mile? 1 mile? 10 miles? You only have 26 to play with before you beat your own model S.

Let's see - "my Model 3 gets 2% better EPA mileage than your Bolt" - doesn't sound all that sexy.

"your Bolt is a Bolt while my model 3 is a model 3" sounds a lot better to me. But I do expect the range to be better.

I drove the Chevy Bolt in January, and it will never challenge the Model 3:
Really? So you drove the Model 3 to compare?

i can say the same for the leaf and the i3 i drove for a few days....both were like golfcarts with no personality.
And you know the Model 3 drives with personality how?

Just amazes me how people perceive the Model 3 as a shrunken Model S. Tesla had to cut a lot of corners to get the price down on the Model 3, so one shouldn't pre-judge before it's even available. It would be like pre-judging a Bolt based on the Corvette.

Last edited:
Reactions: McRat

Errata:

The Volt has a combined EPA rating of 53 miles of AER. It is not that usual to go over 60 miles on a charge. So "Up To 53 Miles" is creative writing, not accurate reporting. "53 miles EPA Combined AER" would be accurate.

You did not do your homework on EV technology whatsoever. Ever since the EV1, most EV/EREV/PHEV/Hybrids regen with the brake pedal automatically. The car you drove did this if you touched the brake pedal, and it shows the regen kW on the cluster. It regens up to 70 kW, or more than the MS60 does.

What I find puzzling is that you did not notice that on EVs or hybrids before. GM is not alone in using the brake pedal for regen, in fact, Tesla's lack of regen braking is unusual. If you've driven anything from a Prius to a Porsche 918, you've felt regen brakes.

Now on the Bolt, it has the brake pedal regen, but can also do one-foot-driving regen using the accelerator pedal and will come to a complete stop unlike the Tesla accel pedal system (L mode). And you can on-command regen with your left hand fingers by using the regen paddle.

But I will admit your review on the Model 3 in the Bolt Review was great. That part about how easy the Model 3 was to drift around corners and the detailed road trip report was stellar. It is sad that you had to leave it out due to word count issues. Maybe next edition?

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DR61
Evidence?

Bought a Chevy Bolt last month. I used to think My Model S had a strong regen. After driving the Bolt, I'm not sure if the Tesla regen is even on. When I drive the Bolt I never use the brake (for emergencies only). The regen will bring the car to a complete stop. If you need extra regen they have a steering wheel paddle to provide more. I hope Tesla can mimicking the Chevy, but i think I read somewhere the Tesla motor cant regen that well at slower speeds. 1 point for the Bolt

10 things I like better on the new 2017 Chevy Bolt vs my 2013 Tesla Model S

Thank you kindly.

In a nutshell, this explains the Bolt failure in the market: It is way more expensive than a LEAF but does little more; and is not much less expensive (if at all) compared to a Model 3 but does a LOT less.

The Bolt is a far better car than the Leaf. And safer, not just crashing, but driving. That costs you a 20% premium. Some will pay, some won't.

Price of Leaf: $30,680+dest. Time to 60? 10.4s. Passing speed, 50-70? 6.9s. Range in cold winter? ~70 miles until towing needed. Efficiency? 112 MPGe.
Price of Bolt: $36,620+dest. Time to 60? 6.3s. Passing speed, 50-70? 3.5s. Range in cold winter? ~160 miles until towing needed. Efficiency? 119 MPGe.

Data on actual comparison Model 3? Unavailable.