Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[POLL] Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

Will base model M3 beat the Chevy Bolt's 238 mile EPA range?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know....to get it up to 240+ miles puts it pretty darn close to the base model S at 265 - They've been very deliberate about making sure the model 3 was inferior to the model S in every metric they can put down on paper.

I'd say they care much more about how the model 3 stacks up to the S/X than the bolt.

Reactions: kablammyman
Absolutely!
It was announced with 215 miles but didn't Elon casually say at first reveal that it would be "at least" that. With Chevy later announcing a higher range for the Bolt, I firmly believe Tesla wants to surprise people and top that. I expect the July 28 event to include several "drop the mic" announcements about the Model 3 , one bring that the range of the base model is higher than the Bolt. The PR value of that is huge!

Absolutely!
It was announced with 215 miles but didn't Elon casually say at first reveal that it would be "at least" that. With Chevy later announcing a higher range for the Bolt, I firmly believe Tesla wants to surprise people and top that. I expect the July 28 event to include several "drop the mic" announcements about the Model 3 , one bring that the range of the base model is higher than the Bolt. The PR value of that is huge!

How many miles would it have to beat the Bolt to be a "huge" PR win? a 10th of a mile? 1 mile? 10 miles? You only have 26 to play with before you beat your own model S.

Let's see - "my Model 3 gets 2% better EPA mileage than your Bolt" - doesn't sound all that sexy.

How many miles would it have to beat the Bolt to be a "huge" PR win? a 10th of a mile? 1 mile? 10 miles? You only have 26 to play with before you beat your own model S.

Let's see - "my Model 3 gets 2% better EPA mileage than your Bolt" - doesn't sound all that sexy.
I see it as black and white. I'm extremely confident that the larger battery M3 will easily exceed the Bolt's range, but will Chevy (who doesn't have a bigger battery option) be able to tout that they have superior range in their marketing (when compared to base model) . Although the Tesla is cheaper on paper, I think the Bolt will be cheaper, practically speaking, since the $35K Tesla will be like unicorn tears....

• Funny
Reactions: Big-T
I don't know....to get it up to 240+ miles puts it pretty darn close to the base model S at 265 - They've been very deliberate about making sure the model 3 was inferior to the model S in every metric they can put down on paper.

I'd say they care much more about how the model 3 stacks up to the S/X than the bolt.

By the time the Model 3 becomes available to the public, I expect the range of the base Model S is going to be in the 290-300 mile range.

No but you'll get SC access (not free) with model 3.
This is why all other EV manu don't want EV to be mainstream. They'll need to develop all those SC and that takes a lot of $$$$. Tesla way ahead of the game. Way ahead. I'd expect Elon would charge other Auto manu 20-50b for SC access. Tesla has done all the hard work.
Other's would just want to piggy back but overload the SC network to make them useless. Elon and Tesla are smart. It has to be for Tesla cars only at this point. If other Auto manu jumped on the bandwagon and installed the same number of SC across the globe they could offer fair trade and open them up to everyone, but I don't see that happening with SC being free and charged to CC at this point.
Tesla is the only EV car if you do drive a considerable distance all the time.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
I didn't answer the poll because I'm not sure one way or the other. If the base Model 3 has less than 238 miles of range, that would feed the trolls predicting doom for Tesla, but the Model 3 will almost certainly be the best selling BEV in the US very soon after introduction and the Model 3 will have things the Bolt doesn't like the supercharger network and it will be a much larger car and should be more comfortable.

The Bolt has bragging rights as the first inexpensive 200+ mile BEV, but it's not being mass produced, the charging network is spotty and there is a lot TBD about it, and it is a pretty small car.

If the base version of the Model 3 is less range than the Bolt, I think most people will put it in a relatively short list of cons if comparing it to other BEVs in the same price range. (It's a given the Model 3 is going to be inferior to the much more expensive S and X and most other expensive BEVs, but that's a different market. Not too many people cross shop BMW 7 Series and Toyota Corollas either.)

As I said elsewhere, I think the Bolt will have higher EPA range but have less highway range. I expect it will be easier to make real world DCFC jumps in the Model 3 than the Bolt and that’s where range really matters anyways. If the base Model 3 had 225 to 230 miles of EPA range, but actually got 215 miles of range at 75 mph versus the Bolt at 238 EPA and 190 miles at 75 mph, which one has better range? Well, most of the time when it matters to have 200+ miles of range, it is at highway speeds, cruising for 2-3 hours.

I said yes, I also don't think Tesla is worried about the model 3 coming close to or exceeding the model S range. There are plenty of other things to differentiate the two that range doesn't have to be one of them. And, given that range is still a major concern (whether valid or not) for many people, they'd be silly to not max out the range as much as they can for a specific battery pack size.

The supercharger grid will most likely guarantee a longer interstate range for the Model 3.

Urban range? It is possible that the Bolt will have higher range in congested areas. Tesla has not proven to have as effective of regen as GM systems (Volt/ELR/SparkEV/BoltEV). This will mostly come into play in winter commuting range, or taxi service. The taxi capability of the Bolt is most likely going to surpass the M3, but the Bolt was designed with taxi/Lyft/AV use in mind at the design stage.