Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Will HW2 Autopilot be capable of full highway driving with no driver input by the end of 2018?

Will Enhanced Autopilot be capable of full highway driving with no driver input by the end of 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is one of those things I need is incredibly hard to poll.

As it's worded its basically verbatim from what Elon said on the Joe Rogan experience. But, it's also in alignment with the latest info that's being reported about V9

So it looks like V9 will be the first time Tesla has truly offered on ramp to off ramp capability.

For the sake of argument let's assume it's freeway use. It's also part of the EAP package so this means the driver of the car is still ultimately responsible.So unpredictable things like debris, construction, etc will still have to be handled by the driver.

This leaves a very basic question of how well it will work.

Now I remain cynical because as of now Tesla doesn't use the side cameras to detect vehicles. For them to pull this off the side cameras will have to be used for this functionality. So this means that blindspot monitoring will need to use them, and the picture has to be good enough to detect vehicles. It remains to be seen how well they work in rain, snow, etc.

The other technology that has to come into play is the GPS has to be really accurate down to the CM level. To the point where it knows which lane you're in. Is the GPS accurate enough? Supposedly. Are the maps? ‍♂️

Lastly there is the user themselves. Are people going to be comfortable with a car making a decision to do something, and then doing it without user input? This is quiet different than controlling the throttle or steering as you really only had to look in front of you. Now there is this additional task you get the fun job of supervising lane changes.

There is supposedly a setting that will allow a person to set just how aggressive the car will be. This outta be a fun one in California.

I'm excited for this technology as this is the first time I'm aware of that people will be driving a car that can do lane changes without being prompted.

I can't wait to try it, and my plan is to go on the same Seattle to Santa Cruz trip as I did when AP was initially released back in 2015. The funny thing is it's around 3 years to the date. With AP1 it was back on Oct 2015, and this time it will be around Oct/Nov time frame as well.

Electrek is now claiming (based on an alleged leak from an anonymous source) that Autopilot v9 will enable Enhanced Autopilot “to take [freeway] interchanges and exits” and to automatically change lanes on freeways.

Thanks to the Electrek article, I just realized that this feature/feature set has been described on tesla.com/autopilot since October 2016. What Elon and Stuart Bowers have been saying lately is just a reiteration of what has been on the website all along.

The website says:

Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

Apparently, the feature/feature set is called “On-ramp to Off-ramp”:

Once on the freeway, your Tesla will determine which lane you need to be in and when. In addition to ensuring you reach your intended exit, Autopilot will watch for opportunities to move to a faster lane when you're caught behind slower traffic. When you reach your exit, your Tesla will depart the freeway, slow down and transition control back to you.

It’s important to clarify that On-ramp to Off-ramp will only work on freeways or divided highways, not on any highway.

It would have been helpful to phrase the poll question as: will On-ramp to Off-ramp be released by the end of 2018? That would have cleared up a lot of the confusion about what I’m asking.