TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Poll] - Will you buy Model Y if it has Falcon Wing door?

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by ggnykk, Jan 6, 2018.

?

Will you buy Model Y if it has Falcon Wing door (FWD)? / Should Tesla put FWD in Model Y?

1. Hell NO!! I hate the stupid Falcon Wing door (FWD). If it has FWD, I won't buy it for sure!

48 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No. I highly prefer it doesn't have FWD

59 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. No. Tesla should put regular door so customers can choose between Model X and Y. It save cost too!

61 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Not sure. Undecided.

13 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. I would still buy Model Y either way. It doesn't matter for me.

68 vote(s)
    19.7%
  6. Yes. I think FWD will be appealing to customer and help spread the words about the Tesla brand

23 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. Yes. I highly prefer it has FWD

49 vote(s)
    14.2%
  8. Oh Yes! I love the FWD! If it doesn't have FWD, I won't buy it.

19 vote(s)
    5.5%
  9. None of the above.

6 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Will you buy Model Y if it has Falcon Wing door (FWD)? / Should Tesla put FWD in Model Y?

Please vote on the poll.

2. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

Willing to bet money that the “Y” won’t have falcon wing doors in order to keep costs down. Heck, the “3” doesn’t even have self presenting handles...

• Like x 6
  3. sdotdiggr

sdotdiggr New Member

Again I ask can the Model Y please be Tesla’s take on the Toyota RAV4 but with all the interior tech? I want the Y to be the perfect city CUV I don’t need FWD just a higher riding Model 3 with a slightly longer range since the crossover will be larger than the 3?

• Like x 4
  4. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

I drive solo most of the time - the FWD do nothing for me. They look cool, are neat party tricks, but have no usefulness to me.

• Like x 5
  5. bariiings

bariiings Member

The falcon wing doors don’t work in my garage. I have an I-beam in the center and they don’t open. If there’s a chance anytime relatively soon that the wife jumps on the tesla bandwagon, the Y can’t have the FWD’s.

6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I can almost guarantee, that just like the X, the Y will have slightly less range than the 3. (The Y is supposed to be based on the same platform as the 3, so the battery packs will probably be the same, just line in the S&X.)

The only exception would be if they come out with a new battery formulation that has a higher energy storage density.

7. gora321

gora321 Member

I still prefer the M3 because of lower air resistance and price/performance ratio.

8. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

More people say no so far.

9. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Model Y will be based on Model 3 platform with the same wheelbase (distance between front and rear wheels), so it will have the same battery as Model 3. Meaning the Model Y would have a slightly less range. Keep in mind that the overall length of Model Y will be a few inches longer than Model 3 most likely.

• Informative x 1
  10. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

I definitely wish that it is the case. I really think Model Y without FWD is the best for both Tesla and the consumer.

• Like x 2
  11. Esme Es Mejor

Esme Es Mejor Member

FWD on the Model Y would:

1) Diminish the specialness of the Model X, making a luxury car feel less luxurious;

2) Limit the number of people willing to consider the Model Y, making a mass-market car less mass-market.

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

I think I remember Elon tweeted that Model Y will get FWD too.

I really don't care either way but I think slide door will be more economical and technically easier to implement.

13. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

I was under the impression that Tesla had fixed all the issues with the FWD's?
    However I dont think model Y will have FWD due to costs and that it will be based on the M3 platform.

14. JeffnReno

JeffnReno Member

Since there is such high interest in the Model Y, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla forgoes the AWD Model 3 and makes the Y with AWD for those that feel they need AWD. It would make sense to have it in a SUV/CUV that has more ground clearance and the added range of AWD would help offset any additional weight or frontal area effects.

15. dipper

dipper Member

I already have one in my garage, a Rav4 with Tesla battery and motor. Tesla motor swap and all too. Hehehe. I just wish they do a better job this time around.

• Funny x 2
  16. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

We need more votes for the poll. Hopefully we get 300 votes for better sample rate.

17. A C N

A C N Member

Lots of redundant overlap in the poll as many of the options are basically the same choice.

Telsa seriously needs to update their interior to be on par to other luxury brands. Simple things such as HUD, 360 parking camera, etc would make a big difference.

My wife hates the interior of the S and X compared to her Benz.

• Disagree x 1
  18. Daniel_R

Daniel_R Member

I don't think the Y will have FWD. My top three reasons:

1. Without a third row, it's not needed (for easy entry)

2. Keep cost/price down.

3. FWD prevents a roof box, which is very much needed for a midsize SUV

Daniel

• Like x 4
  19. Daniel_R

Daniel_R Member

A comment on the last point. My plan is to replace our 2015 Outlander PHEV with the Model Y, but without the possibility for a roof box it just won't fit our needs. As an active family of four, we make roadtrips with a lot of sporting gear (skis, surfboards etc).

I think many peope have the same needs, so Tesla could lose at least 25% of potential customers.

So, I really hope that Tesla will offer the Model Y without FWD.

• Like x 2
  20. wart

wart Less Cowbell

If the Model Y has Falcon Wings I definitely won't buy one, and I'll probably sell my TSLA stock too, because it will mean Tesla is being completely stupid.

Even today I believe the FWD's on the X are more trouble than they're worth. The rationale is that they make it easier to access the third row. The Model Y shouldn't have a third row so there shouldn't be any logical reason for it to have FWD's. And on a mass market vehicle they really don't need the added cost. So, basically I'm agreeing with Daniel_R here.

Now, if they do a "Model 3 sports coupe" (as a more affordable alternative to the new Roadster) I could kind of see FWD's on that car, just as a gee-whiz feature. But the Model Y needs to be more sensible.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 1