TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Poll] - Will you buy Model Y if it has Falcon Wing door?

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by ggnykk, Jan 6, 2018.

?

Will you buy Model Y if it has Falcon Wing door (FWD)? / Should Tesla put FWD in Model Y?

1. Hell NO!! I hate the stupid Falcon Wing door (FWD). If it has FWD, I won't buy it for sure!

48 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. No. I highly prefer it doesn't have FWD

59 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. No. Tesla should put regular door so customers can choose between Model X and Y. It save cost too!

61 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Not sure. Undecided.

13 vote(s)
    3.8%
  5. I would still buy Model Y either way. It doesn't matter for me.

68 vote(s)
    19.7%
  6. Yes. I think FWD will be appealing to customer and help spread the words about the Tesla brand

23 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. Yes. I highly prefer it has FWD

49 vote(s)
    14.2%
  8. Oh Yes! I love the FWD! If it doesn't have FWD, I won't buy it.

19 vote(s)
    5.5%
  9. None of the above.

6 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

I agree. Model Y without FWD makes much more sense.

2. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

Stupid as in 'twice shot myself in the foot' stupid.

3. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

I agree. There is a reason upward opening doors are rare. They are much more expensive and complex that standard doors, which makes them both a maintenance headache as well as adds a lot of cost to production. At this point I think the Model X is the largest volume production car ever made with upward opening doors.

They are a "gee whiz" factor that's good for drawing a crowd and it's good advertising for the brand, but it's a dumb move in a mass produced car.

Actually I'd be happy if my Model S had door handles like the Model 3. They have proven to be a maintenance headache on that car. I never considered the X in large part because of the FWD.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  4. Electroman

+100

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 2
  5. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

Definitely look like majority of people say NO to FWD

6. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

the voting options are NOT redundant. My poll is similar to some polls where the options start with "strongly agree", then "agree" then "neutral", then "disagree", "strongly disagree" etc. Almost all comprehensive polling method are setup this way.

7. Cobbler

Cobbler Paranoid T.E.S.L.A Bull

I want the Model Y to have 'Falcon Heavy Wing doors'
    No regular doors, just 2 badass wings that open the sides for front & backseats!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. Bebop

Bebop Active Member

Model Y is super interesting to me as I would expect it to be somewhere between a Model 3 and S in terms of overall size and storage capacity with a starting price lower than a S. I need to know more details on the car and etc. A car I'm extremely interested in.

That said, FWD are beyond awesome and are super futuristic. It would lose its appeal if it didn't have them I feel. It makes the car so much more futuristic. So I guess I'm looking at this from a design POV.

9. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

"was under the impression that Tesla had fixed all the issues with the FWD's"

an early vehicle & almost 40K to-date.....no issues with FWD. They're fantastic and would like them on Y.

• Like x 1
  10. 1208

1208 Active Member

I just can't see it happening because of

1. Cost.
    2. Speed to make the vehicle, Y will be mass produced.
    3. Need to differentiate between expensive X.
    4. No 3rd row.

• Like x 1
  11. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

1 year and 10,000 miles on my X. No issue with FWD. My first Tesla was a 2014 S 3 yrs and 15,000 mi and no issue with doors. Battery replaced after 3 yrs. I would not buy unless it had FWD.

• Like x 1
  12. Ctuna

Ctuna Member

I need to to carry sailboards and surfboards that are 8ft and up to almost 10ft. If the model 3 were a wagon or hatchback I would be buying one now . I guess you can put them on one side with FWC but I often carry up to three usually two on the roof side by side. I don't see how the Falcon Doors would be of any use to me. I admit they look cool. Getting the front passenger seat to go flat would be nice VW did that once upon a time it allows you to carry long loads. I have an old Integra that that I can get one 8ft board and a bunch of sails in the model 3 is about the same size.
    I have mad respect for Elon and Tesla and all the other idea's but I need to carry my boards.
    An all electric Van would be more practical even though I like driving small sporty cars better.

• Like x 1
  13. wdolson

You could get a Bollinger. There is a pass through the firewall that allows long loads up to 12 ft.

• Like x 1
  14. Jonathantuba

Jonathantuba Member

A Tesla van is what I would like for my business, but that does not seem on the horizon

15. ppower

ppower Member

Hey, I’ve got an idea. Let’s make an acronym that’s highly known as Front Wheel Drive! No, I would not buy a Model Y with Front Wheel Drive.

I would rather the Roadster have falcon wings over the open top. Coupes have long doors that can be difficult to open anyway, and height wouldn’t be a problem on a small car. Weight/complexity could be the issue though.

As for the van, I am completely on board, and with it not really on the horizon, I guess I’m looking at a VW in ‘22. That a mere 4 years away.

16. wdolson

Elon has talked about a small bus built on the Model X platform and if that doesn't happen when they do the pickup, a van should be an easy follow on project.

The demand for electric delivery vans in Europe is going to be high by early next decade. A lot of cities are banning ICE from city downtowns and delivery companies will need electric vehicles.

17. Brycemart1706

Brycemart1706 New Member

Tesla model Y has been rumored to not have FWD, and Elon musk has been hinting at the Y so much lately.

18. Electroman

Thank God. Small mercies..

19. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

wow, my thread is back alive. 48% of people so far say no to falcon wing door so far! Only 25% of people say yes.

20. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Member

The Model 3 is an amazing vehicle in terms of power and room. With the popularity and quantity of SUV vehicles on the road, I would feel safer riding a little higher in a Tesla without having to spend $100k on the X. I am there with my deposit on day one for the Y regardless of how the doors open.