Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Will you buy Model Y if it has Falcon Wing door?

Will you buy Model Y if it has Falcon Wing door (FWD)? / Should Tesla put FWD in Model Y?

• Hell NO!! I hate the stupid Falcon Wing door (FWD). If it has FWD, I won't buy it for sure!

Votes: 48 13.8%
  • No. I highly prefer it doesn't have FWD

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • No. Tesla should put regular door so customers can choose between Model X and Y. It save cost too!

Votes: 61 17.5%
  • Not sure. Undecided.

Votes: 13 3.7%
  • I would still buy Model Y either way. It doesn't matter for me.

Votes: 69 19.8%
  • Yes. I think FWD will be appealing to customer and help spread the words about the Tesla brand

Votes: 23 6.6%
  • Yes. I highly prefer it has FWD

Votes: 49 14.1%
  • Oh Yes! I love the FWD! If it doesn't have FWD, I won't buy it.

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of the above. I'm not going to buy a Model Y.

Elon Musk saw it as an engineering challenge to overcome that would be beneficial both for sales and for usability in autonomous vehicles. They haven't made it work reliably enough yet so _no_ _way_ will it have the falcon-wing doors.

Even if the falcon wing doors work perfect;y, they operate slowly compared to conventional doors, the mechanism adds weight up at the top of the car, you can't use a roof rack, and it adds cost. They were initially introduced to the Model X in large part to give better access to the third row, which the Model Y won't have.

I believe Elon said in a Tweet a week or so back that the Model Y will cost the same as the 3, which probably means there won't be any gimmicks like the FWD to run up the costs.

• Helpful
Reactions: JeffnReno
Even if the falcon wing doors work perfect;y, they operate slowly compared to conventional doors, the mechanism adds weight up at the top of the car, you can't use a roof rack, and it adds cost. They were initially introduced to the Model X in large part to give better access to the third row, which the Model Y won't have.

I believe Elon said in a Tweet a week or so back that the Model Y will cost the same as the 3, which probably means there won't be any gimmicks like the FWD to run up the costs.
I am encouraged by this as convincing my wife to give up her beloved Rogue will require a Tesla to be done in the under $40k range so if it cost the same as a base Model 3 at $35k starting...where can I sign up...lol. She helped me pay for myModel 3 at over $60k once said and done so when I mention buying a Model Y with trading the Rogue that we optioned out to about $38k for the SL trim AWD etc. she says no fing way. Don't really expect the Model Y with AWD to start there but we'll see when the time comes.

I am encouraged by this as convincing my wife to give up her beloved Rogue will require a Tesla to be done in the under $40k range so if it cost the same as a base Model 3 at $35k starting...where can I sign up...lol. She helped me pay for myModel 3 at over $60k once said and done so when I mention buying a Model Y with trading the Rogue that we optioned out to about $38k for the SL trim AWD etc. she says no fing way. Don't really expect the Model Y with AWD to start there but we'll see when the time comes.

There is also the cheaper cost of ownership. I recently worked out that my Model S is 1/4 the cost per mile to fuel than my SO's Subaru Impreza. (Electricity prices here are very cheap, but even in more expensive markets an EV is going to be cheaper than gas.) We also drive my car any time we're going out together so she has gone from refueling once a week to refueling once a month. In 2 years of ownership the only thing other than electricity I've bought is tire related and car washing stuff. I also bought a couple of minor accessories, but those are one time expenses.

Ben Sullins who has a Tesla by the numbers channel on YouTube recently ran the numbers on the cost of ownership for someone who had a 200 mile commute once a week. In that case a Model 3 would save them something like $24K a year. But that's an unusually long commute.

I've considered the Model X a number of times over the years, but it is always the falcon wing doors that causes me to give myself a shake and get back to reality. As a number of other posters have noted, the FWDs should stay on the X (though they shouldn't have been the only option on that vehicle in the first place even IMHO) as a differentiator for the high price (where Tesla can also better absorb the higher cost to build and warranty them).

Because of those doors on the X (removing option of a roof rack), it has less utility to me than an S. The 3 has even less utility, with no roof rack and a trunk! For goodness sake Tesla, you are going backwards in functionality! I really hope the Y reverses that trend. I'd love for it to be an electrified version of my Subaru Forester actually. Search my blog for my wish list - Model Y at kootenayEVfamily.ca if you're interested.

(Our use case: family of 4 hauling BMX and mountain bikes regularly; XC and DH skis & snowboards 3-4 days a week in the winter; launching my sail boat spring and fall [3,800 lbs]; camping road trips where we need a roof box already on our Forester with its 780L of cargo room; and occasional light-off road duty [e.g. waterbars on the way to remote hiking trails]... - we've actually done a lot of this in our Leaf, but of course range is an issue, and no AWD)

As is usual, GM was first, yet again [1992 carbon fiber]. Can we claim Falcon wing doors AND roof rack too ?
@Vern Padgett - how about electrify this one? 200 MPGe ?

Jim Lutz, GM Ultralite Program Mgr., talks about the experimental Ultralite concept vehicle before the opening of the 1992 Chicago Auto Show. The stunning aerodynamic body and structure were composed of lightweight carbon-fiber components to achieve 80-100 mpg ratings. A rear-mounted GM 1.5-liter three-cylinder two-stroke engine powered the 1,400-pound four-passenger sedan.

Debut at the North American Auto Show in Detroit in January 1992, the center peace of the General Motors exhibit, the running fully functional GM Ultralite was designed and constructed by a great project team of GM engineers, designers, stylists, researchers and Scaled Composites' Burt Rutan. Commissioned and inspired by GM execs, Bob DeKruyff, Don Runkle, Gary Dickinsen, Chuck Jordan, Lloyd Reuss and Bob Stemple, the project team had less than four months. A CD of 0.19, weight around 1400 pounds, seating for four, fully air conditioned, load-leveling air suspension , powered by a GM experimental three cylinder two stroke engine on unleaded pump gas, mated with a computer controlled four speed automatic trans. 0 to 60 mph around 8 seconds with over 100 MPG at highway speeds. I personally drove this vehicle for hundreds of miles on GM proving ground test roads and on the streets of southern CA during the filming of the movie Demotliton Man. A second roller chassis body was constructed intended for full engineering ongoing development. However, a major GM corporate change happened: the project team was disbanded, the execs retired or reassigned and the R&D was stopped. The Ultralite project was placed into the GM archives where it stays to this day..

Last edited:
Is there anything wrong with the falcon wing door? Seems to me most people who have it like it and most people who don't dislike it. The only thing is we don't know if the Y will have two rows or three rows seating. Benefits of the falcon wing door diminishes if there is no third row seating.

As for comparing it to other similar door designs the Tesla design uses two independently controlled hinges. That's what made it work so much better especially in tight parking spaces.

Another thing is the Model X was designed as a luxury people hauler not a stuff hauler. The falcon wing doors, seating arrangement and (lack of) roof rack was pretty much following that design philosophy. Who would want to buy a $100K+ car and use it to haul plywood or manure from Home Depot anyway? Just borrow or rent a truck to do those things if you don't already have another vehicle for that. Model Y could be a little different story though.

Last edited:
I got a two day test drive in Model x with falcon doors. Also it had self closing front doors. I get into cars butt first, and hang on to the roof rails for balance. the self closing doors did just that and slammed my hand and would not let go until I stretched to the release button. ouch.
I WAS going to get the door closer mounted on my Model S, but after this hand slam door issue - no way. The FWD are a neat party trick, but have no use to me as I only use the front doors. I cant see this FWD feature as a positive.

Reactions: Electroman
I got a two day test drive in Model x with falcon doors. Also it had self closing front doors. I get into cars butt first, and hang on to the roof rails for balance. the self closing doors did just that and slammed my hand and would not let go until I stretched to the release button. ouch.
I WAS going to get the door closer mounted on my Model S, but after this hand slam door issue - no way. The FWD are a neat party trick, but have no use to me as I only use the front doors. I cant see this FWD feature as a positive.

That sounds to me like a classic case of learning curve. Not only that I got used to the self open/close door every time I sit in my S I was wondering why the door did not close soon after I put my foot on the brake.

Although I still don't understand how the door in the car would literally "self-closing" without you intend it to.

I recall Elon tweeting that the Y will have Falcon doors, and I hope it happens. We love the FWD on the X. The kids love the FWD on the X. Everyone that sees the X comments how great they look, and how cool they are. Definitely makes an impact in car line at school. Haha. I love the functionality of them- even though it appears I am the only one on this thread! I also appreciate how the FWD help artistically and visually give the subtle appearance of a X silhouette; it would be even more of an apparent Y silhouette design if the Y also is awarded FWD.

Reactions: Light Fury