Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] - Will you buy Model Y if it has Falcon Wing door?

Will you buy Model Y if it has Falcon Wing door (FWD)? / Should Tesla put FWD in Model Y?

• Hell NO!! I hate the stupid Falcon Wing door (FWD). If it has FWD, I won't buy it for sure!

Votes: 48 13.8%
  • No. I highly prefer it doesn't have FWD

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • No. Tesla should put regular door so customers can choose between Model X and Y. It save cost too!

Votes: 61 17.5%
  • Not sure. Undecided.

Votes: 13 3.7%
  • I would still buy Model Y either way. It doesn't matter for me.

Votes: 69 19.8%
  • Yes. I think FWD will be appealing to customer and help spread the words about the Tesla brand

Votes: 23 6.6%
  • Yes. I highly prefer it has FWD

Votes: 49 14.1%
  • Oh Yes! I love the FWD! If it doesn't have FWD, I won't buy it.

Votes: 19 5.5%
  • None of the above.

Votes: 6 1.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t need FWD just a higher riding Model 3 with a slightly longer range since the crossover will be larger than the 3?

I can almost guarantee, that just like the X, the Y will have slightly less range than the 3. (The Y is supposed to be based on the same platform as the 3, so the battery packs will probably be the same, just line in the S&X.)

The only exception would be if they come out with a new battery formulation that has a higher energy storage density.

Again I ask can the Model Y please be Tesla’s take on the Toyota RAV4 but with all the interior tech? I want the Y to be the perfect city CUV I don’t need FWD just a higher riding Model 3 with a slightly longer range since the crossover will be larger than the 3?
Model Y will be based on Model 3 platform with the same wheelbase (distance between front and rear wheels), so it will have the same battery as Model 3. Meaning the Model Y would have a slightly less range. Keep in mind that the overall length of Model Y will be a few inches longer than Model 3 most likely.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Since there is such high interest in the Model Y, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla forgoes the AWD Model 3 and makes the Y with AWD for those that feel they need AWD. It would make sense to have it in a SUV/CUV that has more ground clearance and the added range of AWD would help offset any additional weight or frontal area effects.

Lots of redundant overlap in the poll as many of the options are basically the same choice.

Telsa seriously needs to update their interior to be on par to other luxury brands. Simple things such as HUD, 360 parking camera, etc would make a big difference.

My wife hates the interior of the S and X compared to her Benz.

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlK
I don't think the Y will have FWD. My top three reasons:

1. Without a third row, it's not needed (for easy entry)

2. Keep cost/price down.

3. FWD prevents a roof box, which is very much needed for a midsize SUV

Daniel

A comment on the last point. My plan is to replace our 2015 Outlander PHEV with the Model Y, but without the possibility for a roof box it just won't fit our needs. As an active family of four, we make roadtrips with a lot of sporting gear (skis, surfboards etc).

I think many peope have the same needs, so Tesla could lose at least 25% of potential customers.

So, I really hope that Tesla will offer the Model Y without FWD.

If the Model Y has Falcon Wings I definitely won't buy one, and I'll probably sell my TSLA stock too, because it will mean Tesla is being completely stupid.

Even today I believe the FWD's on the X are more trouble than they're worth. The rationale is that they make it easier to access the third row. The Model Y shouldn't have a third row so there shouldn't be any logical reason for it to have FWD's. And on a mass market vehicle they really don't need the added cost. So, basically I'm agreeing with Daniel_R here.

Now, if they do a "Model 3 sports coupe" (as a more affordable alternative to the new Roadster) I could kind of see FWD's on that car, just as a gee-whiz feature. But the Model Y needs to be more sensible.