Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Will you buy?

Will you buy the Cybertruck?

• Yes, planned on it before I saw it.

• Yes, now that I have seen it.

• Still deciding.

• No, changed my mind when I saw it.

• No, never planned on it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's just so, so bad. I have a Model 3 and had a Model S, and I'm increasingly convinced that FVH was a one trick pony at Tesla. The whole event was painful to watch, and I kept waiting for them to bring out the real one. Well, to be fair I don't know if the whole thing was painful, because I turned it off.

Model S - Beautiful, still looks good 10 years later
Model X - Ok in black, maybe
Model 3 - It's fine
Model Y - It's fine
Roadster - Good looking, but not compared to other $250k cars
Cybertruck - Oh god no

This is a HARD pass. I really wanted Tesla to hit this one out of the park, but this is just horrible.

For one it look disgusting. But to me, there are a few very key details that they utterly fail one. The back seat head room is way too low. Many trucks require full sized grown men to sit in the back often and this is not going to go well. The roof needs to be flat from the windshield to the back of the cab. The other and by far the most important mistake is the bed. It’s a good length (for a half ton truck) but the access is just non existent. The bed rails need to be parallel to the ground and make a right angle at the cab like a regular pickup. Accessing the bed from the side is impossible now so working people will have no interest. Zero ability to tow a gooseneck or 5th wheel. Can’t add tool boxes, side access welders, etc.

Looks like it was designed by someone who has never owned a pickup and has never talked to someone who has owned one. I told myself that they could design everything from the cab forward any way they wanted and I would purchase one as long as the bed functionality was there. But this is not that so hard pass. The features and specs are amazing but the things I listed are just too important. Completely redesign from the rear seat back and then I’ll buy.

This is a HARD pass. I really wanted Tesla to hit this one out of the park, but this is just horrible.

For one it look disgusting. But to me, there are a few very key details that they utterly fail one. The back seat head room is way too low. Many trucks require full sized grown men to sit in the back often and this is not going to go well. The roof needs to be flat from the windshield to the back of the cab. The other and by far the most important mistake is the bed. It’s a good length (for a half ton truck) but the access is just non existent. The bed rails need to be parallel to the ground and make a right angle at the cab like a regular pickup. Accessing the bed from the side is impossible now so working people will have no interest. Zero ability to tow a gooseneck or 5th wheel. Can’t add tool boxes, side access welders, etc.

Looks like it was designed by someone who has never owned a pickup and has never talked to someone who has owned one. I told myself that they could design everything from the cab forward any way they wanted and I would purchase one as long as the bed functionality was there. But this is not that so hard pass. The features and specs are amazing but the things I listed are just too important. Completely redesign from the rear seat back and then I’ll buy.

Yeah i hear you... this could have been a home run with ease... the design failed.

Question though for you or engineers out there... how hard would it be for them to add a more basic trunk like shell with better dimensions (for better head room in back, frunk space, not space ship looking)??

It's too fricken long. I wanted to buy a chevy avalanche until I tried to park one in my garage. A Chevy suburban (same thing with a enclosed bed) is only 224 in. The Cybertruck is huge. I'll never get one. Oh yea folks will love this behemoth in parking lots. Ugly and big. Not what I look for in very many things. 5.5' beds are just not the standard when it comes to trucks. Folks settle for them but they'd rather a full sized bed 6.5'.

The Tesla Cybertruck is sized like a full-size pickup truck, which can be anywhere from 210 to 250 inches long depending on the cab size and truck bed size. For the Cybertruck, shown above overlaid on a Ford F-150, it's 231.7 inches long with a 6.5-foot bed, 78.8 inches wide, and 75.0 inches high. (pasted from quick cybertruck dimension search)

Maybe I missed the cab configurations part of the website where you can get a double cab with a 6.5 ft bed. That would definitely shorten this up enough to be manageable. Not sure Tesla could handle body changes like king or double cab selections. I buy trucks for the bed not the interior hauling thing. I do understand that if you're a one vehicle family you need the interior space and will give up bed size but nobody picks a shorter bed over longer if they can help it.

Bought because of the design. I watched the event figuring they might have 6 seats and a covered bed, and wasn’t disappointed. Had an initial negative reaction to the look, but it quickly became apparent it was because of the lighting/smoke. It looks great in all the outdoors photos/videos.

And the functionality is absolutely everything I had dared hope for, while costing $7000 less than the Y I had preordered(and will likely be cancelling in favor of the truck), and with greater range.

Reactions: heems and Yuri_G
I'm generally a Tesla skeptic, but I think the truck is brilliant.

I placed my reservation this morning, and I regret not doing it last night.

Reminds me a little of my favorite Toyota concept EV, the Fun Vii

Toyota-Fun-Vii-Concept-front-three-quarters.JPG.jpg

Events like this is why I really worry about Tesla and assume that they will either get acquired by Apple or Toyota in 2 yrs or go BK. All they had to do was have a cool truck that was similar to a F150 or the Rivian and insure their staying power butt instead Tesla completely screwed it up.

They have a limited window to sell before the big 3 come out with models and takeover the market!

• Funny
Events like this is why I really worry about Tesla and assume that they will either get acquired by Apple or Toyota in 2 yrs or go BK. All they had to do was have a cool truck that was similar to a F150 or the Rivian and insure their staying power butt instead Tesla completely screwed it up.

They have a limited window to sell before the big 3 come out with models and takeover the market!
Just around the corner!

(as usual)

Just like when they released the Model 3 with no instrument cluster and goofy looking wheels. And then we’re acquired within 2 years or went BK. Oh, wait...

(they’ll do just fine, and early indicators seem to point to very large numbers of reservations)

Missing: full access to the bed (the sides prevent getting to the front of the bed), no long bed, unclear whether mounts will be available for things like bed racks and chests and winches up front. Back of the bed has had to accommodate the rear seat for some reason. There are a myriad of ways trucks get set up for a lot of different tasks. I see this design as being somewhat inflexible. Specs overall are good - uncompromised performance, great out-of-the-box ground clearance, power source(s) and air compressor. I just wonder who they talked to and tested this truck with.

Reactions: Reeler
Missing: full access to the bed (the sides prevent getting to the front of the bed), no long bed, unclear whether mounts will be available for things like bed racks and chests and winches up front. Back of the bed has had to accommodate the rear seat for some reason. There are a myriad of ways trucks get set up for a lot of different tasks. I see this design as being somewhat inflexible. Specs overall are good - uncompromised performance, great out-of-the-box ground clearance, power source(s) and air compressor. I just wonder who they talked to and tested this truck with.
Most people that buy a truck use it as a car. Truck these day are so tall that access from the side is very limited anyway so replacing the limited access with a storage compartment seems logical. I'm sure that there will be some sort of attachment panel for front and rear mounted accessories, same with the bed. There looks to be several "plugs" in the bed that could be hard points for mounting. Other people mentioned tool boxes for the bed. There is no need for that with all of the extra storage all around the exterior of the vehicle. People are still thinking conventional when they are looking at it.