Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Will you use your Model 3 on road trips?

In general, will you take your Model 3 on road trips?

• Yes.

Votes: 124 68.1%
  • No.

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • For some road trips but not others.

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • I'm not sure yet.

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • I don't really go on road trips.

Votes: 4 2.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an extremely common trip to take using superchargers. Stop in Sacramento for a half hour on the way up. If you don't have destination charging (a lot of ski resorts do) you can hit the Truckee or South Lake Tahoe supercharger when there. On the way home you can stop at any number of superchargers, or with a LR Model 3 you could probably make it all the way home without charging.

Yeah, I'm just thinking in terms of avoiding congestion at the superchargers up there, but maybe that's not an issue yet?

This poll directly relates to why my wife and I have been resistant to being upsold from the 3.

The 3 will be able to handle 90-95% of the driving we do. Vacations to hotels? No problem. Trips to her parents' place? No problem. Me going camping by myself? No problem. Me going out to do astrophotography and camping? Probably a little tight, but still doable.

Both of us going camping? Highly unlikely with the 3. With the dog? Not possible with the 3. With the dog and my astrophotography equipment? Not even possible without the cartop carrier on our CR-V, let alone a smaller sedan.

Any time I talk to someone from Tesla about getting an X, she and I sit down and go through the numbers and possible uses again. A bottom end X comes in at the top of our affordability scale, but would still only be good for about 98% of driving. That last case listed above is something we do every so often, and there's no way I'm getting a car at the top of our affordability scale unless it can be used 100% of the time. We'd need the 100 kWh battery, more than 5 seats if we want to take family and friends on a trip, and want EAP features. Those are requirements for a 100% use vehicle, and unfortunately put the X we want off scale.

The 3 will do very nicely for nearly everything at first. We'll keep the CR-V, and in a few years, look into the Y or a used X. That may be more explanation than you were looking for, but it's why I didn't choose an unqualified "Yes". I sure look forward to heading into Yosemite and the Eastern Sierras in the 3, though. :)

Reactions: Rogue one
Maybe runs up and down CA. Otherwise, I'm liable to be hauling a lot of gear so it'll be the minivan for me. Don't think the family will be tolerant of anything beyond 1 supercharger stop and they want all their stuff.

I'm not really sure what a "road trip" includes, but we do drive 250 miles each way fairly frequently and the SR Model 3 will be perfect. We always stop for 10-15 minutes anyway so that will be more than enough during temperate weather, and perhaps another 10-20 minutes in the inclement conditions I might find myself.

We take our X (which has less range and charges slower than a LR M3) on road trips over 1000 miles round trip often.

9 times out of 10, the X is ready to go before we are when we supercharge. Admittedly we are a small family and a single person would be making shorter stops than we do.

Even so, if I were driving solo on a road trip I'd rather be in the X than our s-class Benz. Will be the same when we get our M3.

I expect some but not all... the only deciding factor for us (family of 3) would be the amount of stuff needed for the trip being taken.

I'm getting LR even though my daily commute would be handled easily by SR. There's no way the 3 will only be used for commuting. I totally foresee us trying to jam as much stuff into the much smaller 3 for our trips while the much larger SUV (MKX) sits at home.

I can hear it already...
"We don't need that stuff babe, if we take it then we can't take the 3..."

Because you might have a family and find that you can't fit them + all their stuff. :(

I'm driving a car that's roughly the same size now, and there is no way we'd use my car on a road trip.

The scourge of modern American family travelers: overpacking. :D

I've taken family vacations in a Toyota Echo - two adults, two small children, two weeks. Our current main car for trips is a Toyota Matrix. The Model 3 will be no problem at all and I plan to use it for all of our many road trips.

Reactions: astrothad
For the most part I don't go on long road trips. Anything more than a few hours drive is what airplanes are for. However with EAP or FSD if it ever makes it that will change my mind.

The only real road trip I have done was from Vegas to Vandenberg to watch a SpaceX launch. I had looked at flying but it was last minute and airfare was pricey so I decided to drive. With EAP or FSD I would likely do that more often. Not sure how well I will handle waiting at superchargers. If I can time it with lunch breaks ect I don't think it will be a problem. The issue will be I will likely want to eat somewhere that isn't by a supercharger. When I am traveling I am picky about where I eat as I want it to be somewhere that I don't have near where I live.

For the most part I don't go on long road trips. Anything more than a few hours drive is what airplanes are for.

A road trip is not about the destination. There are some great things within weekend road trip distance of Vegas. Head down to Kingman and visit the EV museum and powerhouse visitor center, then go cruising on Route 66, as far east as you dare. There's much to see all across northern Arizona, including the Grand Canyon. Or head northeast and go to Zion National Park, and the Grand Canyon north rim. Or Death Valley National Park to the northwest, or Mojave National Preserve to the southwest.

Trips with the family and 4 dogs will still be done with the F150 pulling my camper. We do maybe one of those a year.

Trips with just me and my wife with the tent and a little gear will be great with the M3.

Have considered ditching the F150 and the camper and getting a Class A. In that case, we'd tow the Model 3.

Have also considered ditching all the RV stuff and going back fully to tent camping.

I'm fairly indecisive.