Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Would you like Tesla to add a 22kW AC Charger option?

Would you like Tesla to add a 22kW AC Charger option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Background explaining my reasons to start this poll​

I live in Prague/Czech Republic and currently don’t have my own wallbox. DC infra is growing but not exactly ubiquitous. Local utility company has recently started putting 22kW AC chargers on transformers, light polls... and they are growing rapidly in numbers. For first 2h they charge only for energy and after 2h there is additional fee just for occupying the connector. So, the speed of AC charge is not only important for me in financial terms but also not to waste capacity of the network and provide this service to more drivers.

I want to know if my more people would be interested in this feature. Thanks for taking your time.

Reactions: Rocky_H

I live in Prague/Czech Republic and currently don’t have my own wallbox. DC infra is growing but not exactly ubiquitous. Local utility company has recently started putting 22kW AC chargers on transformers, light polls... and they are growing rapidly in numbers. For first 2h they charge only for energy and after 2h there is additional fee just for occupying the connector. So, the speed of AC charge is not only important for me in financial terms but also not to waste capacity of the network and provide this service to more drivers.

I want to know if my more people would be interested in this feature. Thanks for taking your time.
Well in your situation where DC charging is not available, a faster 22KW AC would be awesome. Too bad your utility company couldn't install at least 50KW DC chargers instead of the 22KW AC.

Are you talking about the Mobile Connector? My understanding is that Tesla cars in Europe already have on-board chargers that support 3-phase AC charging at 22KW. If you are talking about the Mobile Connector (technically not a charger but an EVSE) then I agree Tesla should make one for high power 3-phase AC charging but maybe at higher price in a bigger box to be safe.

Are you talking about the Mobile Connector? My understanding is that Tesla cars in Europe already have on-board chargers that support 3-phase AC charging at 22KW. If you are talking about the Mobile Connector (technically not a charger but an EVSE) then I agree Tesla should make one for high power 3-phase AC charging but maybe at higher price in a bigger box to be safe.
Yes, it support 3-phase AC but only at 11kW. Tesla used to offer 22kW option for Model S for $2k but they later discontinued it. If you will support my petition, I will appreciate it.

If you want to charge your car from AC, somewhere you need to to AC to DC conversion. Neither provided Tesla wallbox nor mobile connector is doing that. It is done by onboard charger that looks like this.

He’s talking about the onboard charger, which is 16 amp 3 phase (11 kW) in Europe. In his specific situation, 22 kW (3 phase 32 amp) charging would be ideal. Here in the US, 22 kW charge points are very rare.

• Informative

Model 3 onboard AC charger is 16x3@240 = 11kW max.

Some Model S have 16kW, up to 22kW on older models.

Given the on-board charger is located inside the battery pack in the Model 3/Y, there might be a 'real estate' problem with going larger. The S/X chargers are located outside the pack, so don't have the same constraint.

Here in N. America, the 11.5 kW on-board charger seems like a decent choice. It handles the very common case of 40 amp charging from a 50 amp circuit, plus allows 48 amp charging from a 60 amp circuit for those so inclined. Sadly many public L2 charging stations are only 30 amps, and at 208V (6 kW).

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Given the on-board charger is located inside the battery pack in the Model 3/Y, there might be a 'real estate' problem with going larger. The S/X chargers are located outside the pack, so don't have the same constraint.

Here in N. America, the 11.5 kW on-board charger seems like a decent choice. It handles the very common case of 40 amp charging from a 50 amp circuit, plus allows 48 amp charging from a 60 amp circuit for those so inclined. Sadly many public L2 charging stations are only 30 amps, and at 208V (6 kW).
Believe me, 95% of all AC chargers deployed in our country are capable of delivering 22kW. There is really a good reason not to waste this capacity.

Believe me, 95% of all AC chargers deployed in our country are capable of delivering 22kW. There is really a good reason not to waste this capacity.
I imagine that you would get a sympathetic hearing from a European centric audience. To the vast majority of N. Americans you are advocating for extra cost and no benefit.

I don't know if it is still true but a big part of the attraction of the Renault Zoe was 22 kW AC charging, so at least the French understand you ;)
London has a fantastic AC street charging network through its lamp posts but I don't think it goes anywhere near 22 kW. My impression is that it is designed to substitute for off-street charging.

Last edited:
Yes, it support 3-phase AC but only at 11kW. Tesla used to offer 22kW option for Model S for $2k but they later discontinued it. If you will support my petition, I will appreciate it.

If you want to charge your car from AC, somewhere you need to to AC to DC conversion. Neither provided Tesla wallbox nor mobile connector is doing that. It is done by onboard charger that looks like this.

I didn't know Tesla stopped 22KW option. Based on the Tesla Model 3 PCS teardown it looks like the charger hardware is already designed to allow 3-phase 22KW charging so I am a bit surprised to see it's offered. You will still need 3-phase 22KW EVSE though. In any case, I support your petition. Good luck.

Based on the Tesla Model 3 PCS teardown it looks like the charger hardware is already designed to allow 3-phase 22KW charging
Are you sure ?

I thought that the Model 3 supported either 7.68 kW (in the non LR models) and 11.52 kW in the LR model, architected as either 2 or 3, 16 Amp chargers.

In the old days, I am under the impression that each charger was 24 Amps so two handled 48 Amps and 3 handled 72 Amps

Reactions: Big Earl
I imagine that you would get a sympathetic hearing from a European centric audience. To the vast majority of N. Americans you are advocating for extra cost and no benefit.

I don't know if it is still true but a big part of the attraction of the Renault Zoe was 22 kW AC charging, so at least the French understand you ;)
London has a fantastic AC street charging network through its lamp posts but I don't think it goes anywhere near 22 kW. My impression is that it is designed to substitute for off-street charging.
If this forum is dedicated to NA, I did not know that. I'm targeting EU audience which is also how I framed the petition.

Yes, this is what I'm currently driving :) You can have a look at my car below charging in downtown Prague and screenshot from charger display. 21.4kW to be fair :)
Zoe.jpg
IMG_20210319_142141.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't know Tesla stopped 22KW option. Based on the Tesla Model 3 PCS teardown it looks like the charger hardware is already designed to allow 3-phase 22KW charging so I am a bit surprised to see it's offered. You will still need 3-phase 22KW EVSE though. In any case, I support your petition. Good luck.

Current on-board chargers are as follows:
  • 2x24 amp modules (11.5 kW) for long range North American Model 3/Y, S/X
  • 2x16 amp modules (7.6 kW) for non-long-range North American Model 3/Y
  • 3x16 amp modules (11.5 kW) for European 3/Y
  • 3x24 amp modules (16.5 kW) for European S/X
Edit: @Rocky_H has a good post below and I believe he is correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier