Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Would you like Tesla to add a 22kW AC Charger option?

Would you like Tesla to add a 22kW AC Charger option?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current on-board chargers are as follows:
  • 2x24 amp modules (11.5 kW) for long range North American Model 3/Y, S/X
  • 2x16 amp modules (7.6 kW) for non-long-range North American Model 3/Y
  • 3x16 amp modules (11.5 kW) for European (and possibly other regions that have 3 phase) vehicles
In fact Model S/X in EU has 3x24A 17kW charger. There is a video here showing how the module looks like, where it is located in Model S. He even disassembles it and explains how it works. I recently had many conversions about this with different people and one person told me that most probably Model 3 is just SW limited version of what is in Model S. It makes a lot of sense considering how much is Tesla pushing for streamlining/simplifying production. So it means Model 3 OTA upgrade unlocking 17kW should be possible.

In fact Model S/X in EU has 3x24A 17kW charger. There is a video here showing how the module looks like, where it is located in Model S. He even disassembles it and explains how it works. I recently had many conversions about this with different people and one person told me that most probably Model 3 is just SW limited version of what is in Model S. It makes a lot of sense considering how much is Tesla pushing for streamlining/simplifying production. So it means Model 3 OTA upgrade unlocking 17kW should be possible.

That's good to know. The 72 amp charger (3x24) was removed from North American S/X a couple of years ago. I just checked Tesla's site for both the UK and Ireland and you are correct that S/X support 16.5 kW charging. I updated my previous post.

Last edited:
If this forum is dedicated to NA, I did not know that.
Not dedicated, but the large majority of forum members are in N. America
The forum does have sub-sections, I think by country, that would be a more targeted audience for you.

The technical problem you are running up against is that Tesla has standardized on 2 or 3 16 Amp chargers in a package.
Your desire amounts to doubling the number of chargers in the car.

---
I don't know if still true, but the Renault Zoe did not have an on-board charger; It used its inverter. That came with trade-offs but it was a very clever way to keep the Zoe cheap and utilize France's 400 volt, 32 Amp, 3 phase infrastructure.

Everyone's use case is different, certainly, but I find being able to charge the car overnight while it's parked is all that is necessary for the car to be able to do itself. I consider "overnight" to be at least 8 hours. At home that's definitely a realistic parked time and even on the road staying at a hotel it's very plausible. At 11kW that's going to be more than 85kWh which I think would be considered "full" for more than 90% of the EVs currently being produced.

I think it's hard to justify the expense of more than 11kW.

IIRC -- If I recall correctly

This website talks about 16.5 kW AC charging in the Model S in the European version, I think for the 2019 model year.
If that year and model was using 24 Amp chargers, the arithmetic** works out to 400*24*sqrt(3) = 16.6 kW for 3 phase.

For the models that now use 16 Amp chargers (Model 3 and Model Y for sure, perhaps the Model S and X now too), the arithmetic is
400*16*sqrt(3) = 11.1 kW

--
The point to this arithmetic is that I think Tesla has standardized its chargers to 16 Amps for use across all its models and everywhere in the world. But if I am wrong and 24 Amp chargers are still in the Model S and Model X, you have your solution.

** Maybe. My understanding of electricity is poor

Last edited:
Current on-board chargers are as follows:
  • 2x24 amp modules (11.5 kW) for long range North American Model 3/Y, S/X
  • 2x16 amp modules (7.6 kW) for non-long-range North American Model 3/Y
I don't know the European ones very well, but I'm pretty sure that is not right for the North American ones. Both versions are using the 16A sub-modules: either two of them or three of them. That is why we somewhat frequently see people's charging drop from 48A to a max of 32A if one of them dies, because one of the three 16A parts has stopped working, and it is still functioning with the remaining two.

Are you sure ?

I thought that the Model 3 supported either 7.68 kW (in the non LR models) and 11.52 kW in the LR model, architected as either 2 or 3, 16 Amp chargers.

In the old days, I am under the impression that each charger was 24 Amps so two handled 48 Amps and 3 handled 72 Amps

You are right. I had a brain fart and forgot it was 2x24A (not 1x48A) for US and thought incorrectly it would be 3x48A for Europe.

I don't know the European ones very well, but I'm pretty sure that is not right for the North American ones. Both versions are using the 16A sub-modules: either two of them or three of them. That is why we somewhat frequently see people's charging drop from 48A to a max of 32A if one of them dies, because one of the three 16A parts has stopped working, and it is still functioning with the remaining two.

Hmm... good catch. I remember reading those posts.

From an Australian point of view - in the rural/remote parts of the country, DC fast charging is non-existent, let alone supercharging.

However, 3-phase sockets (capable of supplying 22 kW) are quite common (they weren't initially, but the Australian Electric Vehicle Association and Tesla Owners Club of Australia fixed that!)

Most of the vehicles that have done this have been Model S/X with 17-22 kW AC charging, which were able to charge fully in about 4 hours. I think 22 kW AC charging capability would be vital for vehicles which are likely to travel in these areas - such as the Cybertruck, Rivian R1T, and so on.

Of course Australia is a small market so I wouldn't expect them to offer 22 kW AC based solely on this, but it'd be nice!