Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Would you pay for a higher power Model X charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gordonbremmer over at the Tesla Model X forum said today that sigs will also ship with the 72A charger. Model X onboard charger: 48 or 72 AMP? | Forums | Tesla Motors

Quoting the important bit on that long page, a Tesla response:

Thank you for your email. At this moment in time I can share that the Signature series will accompany the Founder series with the 72 amp configuration setup. This modification is currently offered in only with Founder and Signature series cars. The 72amp configuration has not been announced or listed as offered on the general production line. If you have any additional questions for myself please let me know.

Also being discussed in the main 72 Amp thread: Model X has single 72A charger - Page 43

I'll offer a simple additional justification for higher-power charging: unexpected needs.

My car sits a lot, so I keep the battery at 50% to 70% most of the time to reduce aging. When I know I'm going to need more range the next day, I charge to a higher level. Work-intensive, but I like to baby my stuff. Every so often, however, I've been hit by an unforeseen opportunity to do a weekend trip, or the need to drive much further when I didn't expect to do so, or even by just forgetting to plug in one night and finding myself at 40% the next morning. At any or all of those times, the 80A HPWC in my garage can give me 60 miles of range per hour of charge, which means I've had to delay a trip or a drive due to charging speeds exactly once. I couldn't say the same if I had a 40A charger.

When I get my Model X, it had bloody well better have a 72A charger, not a 48A charger.

EASTER EGG in production configurator reveals $1,000 High Amperage Charger Upgrade

There was a post upthread somewhere. I'll call the configuration line now to try to add it to my order.

You're not going to believe this!!! (Well, it's Tesla with Spinal Tap to 11 volume so you will...)

I just called the production configuration hotline. There is an Easter Egg hidden in the production configurator!!

"We are still recommending the 48 amps a/c charger so we hid the High Amperage Charger Upgrade option.

Just type "charger" (no quotes) and it automagically appears:"

View attachment 101983

This just made my day. I'm on a Teslarian high since it will make a big difference when destination charging.

-Russ

You're not going to believe this!!! (Well, it's Tesla with Spinal Tap to 11 volume so you will...)

I just called the production configuration hotline. There is an Easter Egg hidden in the production configurator!!

"We are still recommending the 48 amps a/c charger so we hid the High Amperage Charger Upgrade option.

View attachment 101983

This just made my day. I'm on a Teslarian high since it will make a big difference when destination charging.

-Russ
What an incredibly stupid idea. How are people who don't obsessively follow the forums to know that a 72A charger option is available? People who might really need or want one? This is even worse than leaving dual chargers off the Model S order page, because that can be added whenever the Model S owner learns about that possibility, but with the Model X he's stuck with how it's built. It makes no sense for Tesla to keep the availability of 72A charger in the Model X a secret. This will likely lead to some very unhappy customers.

Wow, and I thought I had seen everything. There must some kind of religious war going on inside Tesla about this higher powered charger. Looks like some idiot doesn't want people to know about it, and the programmers are trying desperately to get the info out.

View attachment 101983

-Russ

If you haven't already done so you might want to start a new "72Amp Easter Egg order process" on the X forum so people not looking at specific charger threads see it. Otherwise only those few obsessed about bitching about the 72Amp charger will know about it, though I presume that is why Tesla is doing this.

Clearly anybody traveling in Canada and other "SC anorexic areas" will seriously benefit from dual charging. And that need in Canada may likely be true for quite some time. [...] But having clearly laid out arguments showing why it's necessary in areas that are NOT "Supercharger Anorexic", in my mind, seems the most powerful way to convey the point that they need to offer dual-chargers.

And by the way, your previous line about “Superchargers are popping up everywhere” does seem a bit of the coastal tunnel vision attitude that doesn’t think about the “flyover” 2/3 of the country in the middle. It would help to realize that there are a lot more "SC anorexic areas" than Canada.

So, since you have asked for a few real examples, here are some near where I live, Boise Idaho.

Idaho is worldwide famous for its whitewater rafting. Worldwide is not exaggerating. We were on a whitewater trip in New Zealand, and when our guide asked where we were from and we told him Idaho, I thought he was going to faint. He said he so wished he could do whitewater guiding in Idaho someday. Anyway, you go to Riggins or Salmon or Challis some of these little towns up in the mountains to do your rafting trip, and then come back. It’s usually a day trip—not an overnighter. Those might be some places where a local restaurant might be willing to install a decently powered AC charger, but I am pretty sure there will never be Superchargers built in the small mountain towns of Idaho. There are usually RV parks in those towns, but that’s not going to fill fast enough if you’re only there for a couple hours of rafting and then maybe lunch afterward.

The route from Boise to Bend Oregon. It’s a bit too far for one shot, and highway 20 doesn’t have much on it and is not showing any Superchargers on any of Tesla’s predictive maps because it’s a small state highway. The normal stop in the middle is a tiny town called Burns. Some Tesla owners talked with the Chamber of Commerce and they agreed to install an 80A J1772 wall charger on the back of the CofC building. So now Teslas with dual chargers can stop there for about an hour and a half for a long lunch instead of 3 hours at the RV park trying to cross there.

The route from Winnemucca up to Boise on U.S. highway 95. Almost everyone traveling between Boise and the San Fran bay area takes this route, and most people stop in the little town of Jordan Valley Oregon for a bathroom or meal stop. I did meet a Tesla owner who drove his P85 Winnemucca to Boise in one shot by the skin of his teeth. He was being slow and cautious and still just made it with 9 miles left! There is a steakhouse and coffee shop and ice cream shop there in Jordan Valley, and I think some people are starting to talk with some of them to see about getting a HPWC put in there, like Burns Oregon did. That would make it an enabling charge stop in a place that also may never get a Supercharger.

View attachment 101983

-Russ

What does that mean "type it in"? Type "charger" in where?

What in Sam Hill are those responsible at Tesla thinking? This malarkey is something I expect to read in The Onion. Some one, or some team, needs a serious whooping.

I know this is a US centric site and please bear in mind that I am new to this forum malarkey but I would like to try and make a few points that I am not sure have been made yet.

I am a proud holder of a reservation for an MX which I expect to arrive second half of next year. I live in Western China where superchargers are scarce and will probably remain so for the couple of years at least. I am getting the X to replace a family car with the expectation that it will do duty as a commuter in the week and as our 'get out of the smoggy city' at the weekend. Away from home I currently have only two SC sites within driving range out of the city anything further is destination charge or find a plug. There are a good number (and growing fast) of destination chargers most of them in high end hotels.

The alternatives are not attractive or effective yet, there are lots of low end chargers in towns not suitable for recharging a battery pack the size of Tesla's or plug into the wall which although at 220v the power supply in town is often poorly installed, help together with sticking plaster and good for less than 10 amps.

If Tesla is going to continue to be a success it needs to do well outside of the US as well and China is a market it is commited to cracking, not because it will be the fastest growing market necessarily but because it has the largest growth potential. As has been talked about growth has been lower than expected and so I have to be realistic about the growth of the SC network.

What I am trying to get round to saying is that being able to charge at 50mph rather than 30mph will more than double the utility of my vehicle in a country that has giant cities separated by large tracks of countryside.We need to have the 72amp as standard not a hidden cost option and I suspect that is a use case that is similar to lots of other prospective buyers in this country.

I am super excited, looking forward to getting on the Tesla train but we need realistic decisions to be made if this car is for a world market.

p.s. I for one would be happy pay to for the privilege of charging at an SC as I am sure many people would if it increased the number and speed of installation.

I know this is a US centric site and please bear in mind that I am new to this forum malarkey but I would like to try and make a few points that I am not sure have been made yet.

I am a proud holder of a reservation for an MX which I expect to arrive second half of next year. I live in Western China where superchargers are scarce and will probably remain so for the couple of years at least. I am getting the X to replace a family car with the expectation that it will do duty as a commuter in the week and as our 'get out of the smoggy city' at the weekend. Away from home I currently have only two SC sites within driving range out of the city anything further is destination charge or find a plug. There are a good number (and growing fast) of destination chargers most of them in high end hotels.

The alternatives are not attractive or effective yet, there are lots of low end chargers in towns not suitable for recharging a battery pack the size of Tesla's or plug into the wall which although at 220v the power supply in town is often poorly installed, help together with sticking plaster and good for less than 10 amps.

If Tesla is going to continue to be a success it needs to do well outside of the US as well and China is a market it is commited to cracking, not because it will be the fastest growing market necessarily but because it has the largest growth potential. As has been talked about growth has been lower than expected and so I have to be realistic about the growth of the SC network.

What I am trying to get round to saying is that being able to charge at 50mph rather than 30mph will more than double the utility of my vehicle in a country that has giant cities separated by large tracks of countryside.We need to have the 72amp as standard not a hidden cost option and I suspect that is a use case that is similar to lots of other prospective buyers in this country.

I am super excited, looking forward to getting on the Tesla train but we need realistic decisions to be made if this car is for a world market.

p.s. I for one would be happy pay to for the privilege of charging at an SC as I am sure many people would if it increased the number and speed of installation.
Great post and welcome to TMC.com!

I would recommend you write something very similar in an email to both Tesla headquarters in California as well as to your local Tesla store/sales rep. Folks here in the US have been sending their feedback to [email protected]. While that is the North American sales email, if you clearly state where you are from I'm sure it will get forwarded to where it needs to go.

Cheers!