Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Poll] Would you take a Bolt over an M3 in these situations?

What would it take you to take a bolt over your M3?

• I will take a Bolt if I like it when it comes out this year.

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries summer 2017.

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 doesn't start deliveries December 2017.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • I will never take a Bolt over an M3.

Votes: 225 79.8%
  • I will take a Bolt if M3 misses on a promise (e.g. range, autopilot, pricing).

Votes: 41 14.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not everyone interested in the Model 3 is using "going green" as their primary reason for the purchase.

If (huge if here) Elon came out at reveal 2 and showed a completely different (uglier) looking car that only got 220 miles with the biggest pack, I'd just stay in an ICE.

But since that's not going to happen, I'll patiently wait for my invite to configure my Model 3 online.
In case people don't recognize your avatar... Presenting The HOMER!

the-homer-inline4.jpg

giphy.gif

The_Homer.png

PY4000LG.jpg

In case anyone cares at all, I have been checking periodically since these announcements began and the official numbers are now in and on the EPA's website... As of 10:26 am PDT, September 19, 2016:

Compare Side-by-Side: Chevrolet BOLT, Fiat 500e, Ford Fusion Energi Plug-in Hybrid, Chevrolet VOLT

2017 Chevrolet BOLT
123 Combined MPGe
128 City MPGe
110 Highway MPGe
270 kWh per 100 miles
246 Miles Total Range​

Impressive. What say ye?

CORRECTION: Oops! My bad. I didn't realize my browser had saved some 'Personalize' settings I was playing around with before... I set the form back to its defaults, and this is the result instead:
workspace-1_078-png.195120

Last edited:
I actually like the look of the Bolt and think it's a cool car. It pretty much has everything I need... they brought it to my school last month and I was all in. Only problem is I value the ethics of companies I give money to. GM paying money to keep Tesla from getting showrooms and then pointing to lack of sales centers as a weakness of Tesla is shameful. Elon genuinely seems to want to do the right thing and if i can in anyway support him I will. And under no circumstance would I support a company with GM's morals.

BTW, GM could totally change their image in my mind by just standing up and doing the right thing. Support Tesla's initiative for showrooms and do what Elon does.... come out and say you're happy to see more firms producing zero emissions vehicles and you look forward to competing fairly. If they did that, I'd buy a Bolt the next day.

GM paying money to keep Tesla from getting showrooms and then pointing to lack of sales centers as a weakness of Tesla is shameful.

It's called dirty tactics. GM will learn the hard way that it will backfire on them in the long term. VW were doing the same sort of underhand tactics to promote dirty diesels and we all know where they ended up. The unfortunate thing is that all this leaves behind a generation of misinformed people who rebel against those who try to do the right thing and that is going to delay us achieving our goals.

Reactions: techmaven
It's just mater of time .., if all these car companies don't jump on the Bandwagon they be left behind .. After Wednesday there is no real competition to Tesla right now ..
Volvo has been planning publically to put a limited number of self driving cars on the road powered by Nvidia Drive PX 2 in 2017 since at least January this year. It's extremely unlikely Tesla will have enabled AP2 self driving features or there would be regulatory approval by then.

I think by the time it is approved to be used nationwide here in the US that you might see two or three companies ready or nearly to go.

It's just mater of time .., if all these car companies don't jump on the Bandwagon they be left behind .. After Wednesday there is no real competition to Tesla right now ..
You're exactly right, and Tesla seems to just keep doing it over and over now. Wait for the competition to show their hand and then bury them with a single tweet or phone call. I think they have definitely learned from the Model X issues and are methodically destroying their competition.

Dan

BTW, GM could totally change their image in my mind by just standing up and doing the right thing. Support Tesla's initiative for showrooms and do what Elon does.... come out and say you're happy to see more firms producing zero emissions vehicles and you look forward to competing fairly. If they did that, I'd buy a Bolt the next day.
There are 102 Buick, 53 Cadillac, 148 Chevrolet, and 81 GMC locations in the Great State of Michigan. 384 opportunities to purchase a General Motors product within that one State alone. Yet GM stated that it would be an 'unfair advantage' for Tesla to have and operate even ONE location in the ENTIRE State.

They stated the same when it came to Pennsylvania, where Tesla was at least allowed to have five locations. Pennsylvania, where there are 116 Buick, 62 Cadillac, 171 Chevrolet, and 65 GMC locations. 414 locations in Pennsylvania, more than four times as many sites to purchase as Tesla has in the entire United States of America today.

The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) insists that Tesla could sell more cars if they used 'independent franchised dealerships'. While Buick has 1,900+ facilities, there are 2,500+ Chevrolet locations, and 900+ sites for Cadillac -- Tesla operated less than 100 locations in 2015, neither NADA nor GM can explain these sales results between the least expensive 'luxury' Sedans these brands offered that year, plus the Chevrolet VOLT:

31,886 - Buick Verano
26,873 - Cadillac ATS
26,400 - Tesla Model S
15,393 - Chevrolet VOLT​

And they don't want this to continue. Because it is an embarrassment both to GM brands and to the thousands of 'independent franchised dealerships' that offer them. Yet each expect the courts to believe their claims of being a more efficient means of distributing vehicles than Tesla wants to use.

The biggest enemy to EV adoption today is some of the so-called EV 'enthusiasts'.

Some focus on finding any possible fault to buying an EV instead of all the advantages.

All 3 of my EVs were easy to buy, easy to maintain, easy and fun to drive.

The only way I don't end up with the Model 3 is if it comes without a steering wheel and is only a self-driving car. I don't believe that is going to happen so I have nothing to worry about. I also don't care if production or deliveries are delayed (it will be a bummer if I miss the full tax credit, but not the reason I'm getting this car). The Bolt is hideous, so no matter what happens, I'm not getting the Bolt.

Reactions: Red Sage
I don't know why there is so much Bolt hating going on. Regardless of what people think of GM or the Bolt itself it is a big deal. Anyone who suoports Musk's vision should be very happy because this is exactly what Musk wants.

They might have to be dragged kicking and screaming but GM actually put out a reasonable all electric vehicle. Hopefully others will follow suit and we will accelerate the move towards sustainable, clean transport. I'm sure the success of the M3 will give them no choice.

Reactions: kablammyman
I'd take a Bolt or similar if Tesla really drops the ball on the 3. With that said, Tesla has offered more value than other manufacturers so far, and I think the gigafactory will continue that trend.

The only other issue is whether Tesla will build up their service network to the point where it's comparable with other manufacturers. They're getting there in terms of repairs, but their parts/service manual availability and cost is still far behind most other auto manufacturers.

Also the model 3 will be built with steel so a lot more body work can be done in standard shops.

I don't know why there is so much Bolt hating going on. Regardless of what people think of GM or the Bolt itself it is a big deal. Anyone who suoports Musk's vision should be very happy because this is exactly what Musk wants.

They might have to be dragged kicking and screaming but GM actually put out a reasonable all electric vehicle. Hopefully others will follow suit and we will accelerate the move towards sustainable, clean transport. I'm sure the success of the M3 will give them no choice.
There is a significant difference between 'reasonable' and 'exceptional'. At the given price point for the BOLT there are better cars from Buick, Cadillac, and Chevrolet. The Tesla Model 3 will be exceptional at a similar price range. Comparatively speaking, against General Motors' own offerings (LaCrosse, ATS, and Malibu), the BOLT would be considered mediocre, not reasonable at all.

Without some sort of rapid charging network the range doesn't matter. I can't drive more than 230+ miles away from home without needing half a day to charge and go again.
To phrase this a bit differently, taking into account normative highway speeds and some headwind, rain, or cabin heating:

A Bolt has a ~ 90 mile leash

Last edited: