Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Yoke, or Round ?

Poll: Yoke or Round

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The right way to do it is to make the yoke an option, but Tesla is dead set on killing off every possible option these days until they end up building every single car the exact same way in the exact same color, so that probably won't happen. But I hope it does. Opinions are heated on this, and it would make sense to give people a choice.

The right way to do it is to make the yoke an option, but Tesla is dead set on killing off every possible option these days until they end up building every single car the exact same way in the exact same color, so that probably won't happen. But I hope it does. Opinions are heated on this, and it would make sense to give people a choice.
Elon did recently admit that cybertruck might end up being a flop in the market but he doesn't care because he loves it so much. Yoke is probably similar. Giving people an option would open the door to empirical evidence how many people do vs don't love it, which could cause Elon unpleasant cognitive dissonance and possibly cause him to quit Tesla, which according to his own statements would kill Tesla as a company.

With the latest racing on the track, Randy Pobst still uses the rounded steering wheel at the speed in excess of more than 150 MPH:

1628117499997.png

Oh, please. I'm near eighty years old, and I'm quite confident I'll be able to back up looking over my shoulder with my hand on the yoke, and not kill myself or others around me. It might even be easier than using the round wheel. Humans have been adapting to all sorts of things for centuries, and it has generally been NO BIG DEAL. Several who have tried it have reported it working well, yet there are naysayers who have never tried it who are convinced that it can never work as well as the small diameter plastic wheel they grew up with. I remember watching the bus driver as he drove us school kids to class with his steering wheel LAYING DOWN!!! How in the world did he ever get us to school? And did any of you concerned folk ever try driving a 60-ton tank? NO round steering wheel there, my friends, yet the drivers, not yet twenty years old, learned how to maneuver those behemoths backwards into the trees for cover.

You folk who are hesitant, please contribute a few thousand to my fund so I can buy a new Model S, and I'll do a month or so of test drives and report back. I prefer blue, thank you.

It seems between the yoke and the screen forward/reverse a 3 point turn when a car is coming towards you could get ugly. I just want to drive a car not think about every move.
After a bit of practice 3 point turns aren't too bad as it is a sequence you can train yourself on. WIndy roads with hairpin turns can be problematic. The turn signals are near impossible with multiple turns and roundabouts but many don't use turn signals in those situations anyway. I don't use the horn much so not a big issue for me.

I don’t get the controversy. The yoke took about one day of getting used to. Since then I have forgotten about it. All these things that are supposedly hard with a yoke are not hard at all. I also like the buttons on the yoke, with the exception of the horn, which should be a big target, not a tiny, hard-to-reach button. I think this poll is biased by people who haven’t used the yoke and don’t know what they are talking about.

It's all a personal preference, opinion etc. I am an avid Tesla fan, two Tesla car owner, MSLR and CT on order, stock shareholder etc. I am excited about getting this car but feel like I should not have to settle or compromise for $100k car. That is crazy. With that being said, just chatting on this forum getting feedback, driving a friends Plaid and listening to two friends who have the car for 3 months+, there is no doubt the greater majority are settling here. People say they have no problem but then list what they hate. The horn is not a big deal until you need it and when you do and 99% of the time you need it quickly to help avoid something which could be critical. The center screen was different when it launched in the M3, but it wasn't difficult to maneuver for driving purposes. That is a different conversation. So yes you can get used to it but your ultimately settling.

Some are settling and some are not. No issues for me after 20k+ miles. Many have had no issues. Many have had issues. More who have never tried it seem to hate it than those who have tried and liked. That is my scientific study to join all the others listed here.

Some are settling and some are not. No issues for me after 20k+ miles. Many have had no issues. Many have had issues. More who have never tried it seem to hate it than those who have tried and liked. That is my scientific study to join all the others listed here.
Right, some are settling or have had issues for a $100k car. That shouldn't be.