Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Your Evaluation of the Exterior of the Model S

Your rate of the Exterior of Model S

• 10/10 Perfect!

Votes: 60 31.1%
  • 9/10 Excellent!

Votes: 96 49.7%
  • 8/10 Good

Votes: 32 16.6%
  • 7/10 Average

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 6/10 So So

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Need to redesign for current one doesn't look good.

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10/10

Doesn't get any hotter than that IMO

I always take a 2nd look after parking. :-D
20170219_141741.jpg

I see I'm not the only one who likes the old nose (P85DL here) much more than the revised version. The old car is sleek, the new one blunt. Oddly enough I like the blunt end of the Model 3
Agree on both - love the old S, like the 3 - do not like the refresh.

I will likely color the nosecone - just because I don't feel the large area of black does the gray front any favors - will likely bring it to the edge of the chrome, but leave all the chrome intact. Not after the refresh look at all, just after less black - while retaining the nosecone.

Agree on both - love the old S, like the 3 - do not like the refresh.

I will likely color the nosecone - just because I don't feel the large area of black does the gray front any favors - will likely bring it to the edge of the chrome, but leave all the chrome intact. Not after the refresh look at all, just after less black - while retaining the nosecone.

I like both the classic and facelift Model S :cool:
The Model 3 is more polarizing with the flat front fasica ... here is an interesting design analysis:

By Design: Tesla Model 3 | Automobile Magazine
By-Design-Tesla-Model-3-front-three-quarter.jpg

1. The bottom of the fixed quarter-glass has two almost-imperceptible inflection points, giving the pentagonal window’s baseline three distinct elements.
2. The roof profile is graceful, a pure arc without any relaxation of the tension in the line.
3. The windshield is huge and round, though it is not truly spherical.
4. This sharp profile peak line is a crisp element visible to the driver, always an agreeable feature.
5. Controversial but brilliant, this near-vertical plane leaning slightly forward produces a shadowed effect infinitely superior to the painted surrogate grille of the original Model S.
6. Presumably there needs to be some cooling-air intake in front, and this bottom-feeder mouth is unobtrusive.
7. A hard transverse line all the way from one front wheelhouse to the other provides a solid visual base for the front end, emphasizing its roundness.
8. This second hard horizontal line leads the eye into the lower corner scoops, where the lamps lead into the defining profile line for the “grille.”
9. Probably the best front-end surface detail is this subtle horizontal crease that both increases visual length and reduces perceived height.
10. This rising line that defines the base of a side indent is simple, but it is used on all current Teslas, providing a family identity mark that is not too obvious.
11. This peak line allows a narrow strip inclined inward to the base of the doors, acting as a virtual trim strip while slimming the perceived side view.
12. Essentially contained in the door skin panels, this crease and those below separate the body sides into seven horizontally oriented sections to reduce visual height.
By-Design-Tesla-Model-3-rear-three-quarter.jpg

13. A fender peak coming off the headlamp assembly defines the surface running around the side glass and makes the fenders seem more discrete without disturbing visual flow.
14. Simpler than the Model S door pulls, these “hockey stick” handles remain flush when not in use.
15. The black-painted B- and C-pillars allow the side-glass profile to seem much longer than would be the case with body-color posts.
16. No doubt this spoiler, resembling a blade pushed into a flexible membrane from inside the rear volume, is effective, but it looks like an add-on.
17. As on the front, a single side-to-side horizontal crease line defines the squared-up plan view, putting all surfaces below it in shadow …
18. … except for this tiny protruding surface that catches some sky reflection and makes the car seem wider.
19. Integrating the rear reflectors in dedicated apertures provides a bit more visual entertainment on the elegantly plain rear volume.
20. The ubiquitous perimeter band around the wheel openings has become an every-car feature.
21. The straight sill has an element of simplicity and provides a solid base for the entire body.

My own, completely random design thoughts:

I prefer the model 3 rear 3/4 view over the Model S and WAY more than that of the model X.

The hood seems slighty short for the other proportions of the vehicle.

I don't see the center mounted third brake light. It will be really awkward mounted in the middle of the bubble glass, and would detract from the knife-edge effect of the spoiler.

It would be quite a sight with flush side-view cameras instead of side-view mirrors sticking out like the ears from a character on the Little Rascals

I prefer the model 3 rear 3/4 view over the Model S and WAY more than that of the model X.
Had an early X reservation - cancelled and bought CPO S as I did not like the final design. There are a number near me - every time I see them, I am pleased with my decision. Subjective of course, just was not at all for me.

I only notice the X in the context of "what's that - oh ..." - as opposed to the S which is usually "wow look at that ..."

Model 3 looks like it should stand out in the small sedan crowd. BTW, not sure how anybody stands out in the mid-large XUV crowd - all the German ones look the same, Japanese don't look great - it's a functional design which is hard to make look good it seems (Jag F-Pace gets my vote as the best of the bunch at the moment).

Sorry, swerved way off topic!

When I first saw pictures of the refresh I thought they ruined my favorite car. I guess I won't be buying a brand new Tesla now. I even voted for the old nose cone on that Electrek poll. Then about a month later I saw a refresh in person and thought OMG that looks so awesome, I can't buy the old nose cone version now. I think the M3 will be the same way. I currently don't like the front, but I think it will look really good in person.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Vitold and sorka
As an old body owner I love my exterior, voted 9/10.

I also like the new look, though it did take a while for it to grow on me. If I were buying today and both were offered as an option for the same price, I'd probably chose the the refresh.

The Model S exterior is a work of sculptured art. I would like to see changes to the nose, though. The old front was a little too "bulgy". The refreshed front is a bit too minimalist.

The nose on the Model 3 is awful. It reminds me of the old cars you could drive on the street cars and then take them out on the lake
Amphibious Car.jpg

I love the design of both cars. My take on the different nosecones is that the pre-refresh look is evocative of a space age design. I see the pre-refresh nose one and I can almost remember seeing it in a Tomorrowland display at Disney World 40 years ago. It is what I would call retro futuristic. When I saw my first Model S it appealed to that little boy inside me who wanted to see cars like this in his future.

The refurb nose cone has a different vibe to it. It's less SR-71 or 50's jet car and more fitting to the classic Star Trek movies. One thing I love about this design is that it is trying to depart even further from the constraints of ICE car design. It is avant-garde. It trades the aggressive appearance of the pre-refurb design for even more sleekness but also is in a class of its own.

In principle I find both to be appealing but for different reasons. But either way, kudos to the desingers. They made distinct, elegant designs that really catch the eye and successfully convey that these cars are cutting edge. You don't have to know that the cars are electric, fast, or self driving with touch screen display. You can just look at it and the design tells you that whatever is under he hood, or chassis as the case may be, that the car is cutting edge.

Reactions: Maximilien