Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pollution and commuting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GoTslaGo

Learning Member
Dec 25, 2015
US
Freeway drivers breathe dirtier air than previously thought

Quotes:

"Rush hour just got a lot worse. A new study finds that freeway pollution is twice as toxic than air just off the roadway. And air during the morning commute is worse than during the drive home.
Then, the researchers examined the mix of particles sucked into the cars through their intake systems or open windows. The pollution found included unburnt gasoline, diesel soot and tiny specks of metals that come off brake pads. Not all the particles are equally as bad, but the researchers discovered that the types of particles inhaled by drivers on the freeway during morning rush hour were the more harmful kind.

Breathing the particles they found is twice as likely to cause reactions in our airways that can cause chronic inflammation and may lead to higher risk of asthma, heart disease, even dementia and diabetes.
But there are things drivers can do to reduce their exposure. Rolling up the windows and recirculating the air can cut the concentration of particle pollution inside the car by half to three-quarters, Fruin found in a previous study. Newer cars are better, because they are more tightly sealed, which minimizes the amount of outside air that can seep in. Replacing your air filter regularly is also a good idea. And, of course, avoiding freeways during rush hour, or taking public transit is best."

End quotes.

I would add to the last paragraph:

If everyone gets out of ICE vehicles and into EVs this would eliminate the vast majority of the pollution particles. Until then, use your re-circulation feature on your AC. If you are fortunate enough to have Bio-Weapon Defense Mode--use it! What's a 200-300 dollar HEPA filter versus you and your loved ones lungs?

Early during rush hour is probably worse than later. Catalytic converters don't work when the engine is cold, so they are spewing all sorts of nasty stuff until the engine warms up enough for the car converter to work.

I am not in doubt that the air quality on freeways is bad. I grew up on Los Angeles during the worst of the smog years and I had chronic allergies. I still have a gag reflex when I smell diesel fumes and I think I have scars on my lungs. I developed a sort of asthma-light after moving away from Los Angeles.

Fortunately I don't need to commute to work and rarely have to deal with stop and go traffic. I've never driven on the freeway with the windows open and I do have Bio-Defense mode on my Model S. It's probably been 8 months since I've used it though.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
solution-pollution.jpg