TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Pollution caused by graphite mining in China for litium-ion batteries ?

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by vincent, Mar 25, 2014.

1. vincent

vincent Member

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1091060_electric-car-batteries-graphite-and-pollution-in-china

Will the Tesla Motors giga battery factory get its graphite from China, and if so, will it impose high environmental standards or will it use graphite that's mined the highly polluting way it is now ?

In video of a conference the first of februari in Oslo (Elon Musk in Oslo 01.02.2014 - YouTube - can't find the exact question anymore) Elon mentions they plan to write a report in which they prove, with numbers, that we shouldn't be worried about the ecological footprint of the production and usage of a Model S. I'm really looking forward to that: which materials are used in the production of the Model S, how are these materials mined and produced, and how does this whole process compare to the reduction of co2 emission ?

2. zeron

zeron Member

3. vincent

vincent Member

Wow, I missed that (ok I admit - I'm not on Twitter ;) ), that's wonderful news. Thanks for sharing zeron!

4. DITB

DITB Charged.hk co-founder

Any news about this?

I cannot find that blog about pollution. EV haters keep teasing me with "coal powered car" and "production related pollution", especially batteries. I try to explain them that batteries last long and are then recycled, far higher chance of an ICE than EV fire and "fuel" for an EV can come from any source, while an ICE car for the life of the car, is stuck with fossil fuel.

I might as well have been educating a gold fish about the benefits of drinking more water.

5. Alfred

Alfred Member

There are a number of research papers on this topic. A good study has been published in Environ. Sci. Technology 2010, 44, 6550 ff..
    You can always also remark that the Li and Carbon in the battery is whether used up nor blown in to the poor city dwellers faces. Li Batteries are even relatively easy and safe to recycle as e.g. Li is not toxic and even used in pharmaceuticals.