Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Polycarbonate to replace Stainless Steel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a quite random thought and googled around trying to find some relevant figures/comparisons but couldn't find much comparison in terms of properties that i found relevant.

So am just curious about the prospect of this if anyone would know and if it would even be feasible as a substitute for steel.

Polycarbonate is very lightweight, strong vs shock/break/bending, easily workable and relatively cheap. However that is just its general property, how would this compare to the properties of stainless steel?

For those that don't know of it

I would assume that polycarbonate would need to be thicker, but by how much? Would it be possible to save weight using that material instead. Further would it potentially be able to make manufacturing even easier as i believe it is even easier to work than steel sheets.

Any ideas, is it totally stupid? Calculations and figures would be the most interesting to see :)

• Love
Reactions: croman and Brando
Just had a quite random thought and googled around trying to find some relevant figures/comparisons but couldn't find much comparison in terms of properties that i found relevant.

So am just curious about the prospect of this if anyone would know and if it would even be feasible as a substitute for steel.

Polycarbonate is very lightweight, strong vs shock/break/bending, easily workable and relatively cheap. However that is just its general property, how would this compare to the properties of stainless steel?

For those that don't know of it

I would assume that polycarbonate would need to be thicker, but by how much? Would it be possible to save weight using that material instead. Further would it potentially be able to make manufacturing even easier as i believe it is even easier to work than steel sheets.

Any ideas, is it totally stupid? Calculations and figures would be the most interesting to see :)

any 9mm , 357 mag, 44 mag, 223 cal firing of ammo into it?