Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pomponazzi 880xx coating on new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. this is a coating for keeping the car very glossy, protect paint and glass from acid rain or bird ****.

2. you dont have to but I go there once a month to keep it tip top and for $75 a wash that is 1 of the cheapest car wash with coating protection.

3. the fastest I had was 23mins and longest was 40min. all depends on how many staff there are at that time to wash your car.
(at 1 time I had 7 people washing my car)

4. best to phone them up and book. ( I made booking for every 1st Saturday of each month)

5. Dont know about this 1 so far it is $70

Guys if you group buy and have many cars I think you can get a big discount. like the BMW and MD clubs

how much did you pay for the coating?

Given my experience with the stains on my roof, I just made a booking to get the coating. The earliest booking I could get was February 2nd (Monday). He said normally it should take ~10 hours (drop off the car at 10:30am, pick up at 8pm), but he complained about the paintwork on Teslas -- says he often needs to do lots of corrections before applying the coating so it may take 24 hours. Whether he is bluffing who knows... I've been happy with mine.

"Promotional" price of $8,200. Coating is applied to everything including windows, chrome strips, and rims (he says rims normally cost extra). Pay when you pick up the car to make sure you are satisfied. 2% surcharge if paid by credit card.

Car can be washed normally (e.g. with shampoo) afterwards. Can also bring it back to them for $80 a wash. Wash normally takes 30 mins. Good to pre-book in case they are too busy.

Thanks for all the input! Looking forward to getting the coating!

The price has gone up from a year ago when I got my coating.
I was there last night doing a wash on the car for this month.
Saw 2 Tesla getting the coating done, looks like the black paint finish are very bad. Guys that ordered Black please check the paint and any scratches, there were loads on the 3 cars that I have seen and the 1 inside getting coating done had a door dent, only been on the road for 2 days.

2013-12-12 19.35.19 coating price.jpg

2015-01-06 19.04.59L.jpg

2015-01-06 19.55.00L.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

For No. 5
I asked the owner will the price go up after CNY for car wash and he say yes about 10HKD to 20HKD.

- - - Updated - - -

He not bluffing because I have seen 3 black cars and very bad.
The paint work is very thin so every one "DO NOT USE HEAVYWEIGHT WAX".

Given my experience with the stains on my roof, I just made a booking to get the coating. The earliest booking I could get was February 2nd (Monday). He said normally it should take ~10 hours (drop off the car at 10:30am, pick up at 8pm), but he complained about the paintwork on Teslas -- says he often needs to do lots of corrections before applying the coating so it may take 24 hours. Whether he is bluffing who knows... I've been happy with mine.

"Promotional" price of $8,200. Coating is applied to everything including windows, chrome strips, and rims (he says rims normally cost extra). Pay when you pick up the car to make sure you are satisfied. 2% surcharge if paid by credit card.

Car can be washed normally (e.g. with shampoo) afterwards. Can also bring it back to them for $80 a wash. Wash normally takes 30 mins. Good to pre-book in case they are too busy.

Thanks for all the input! Looking forward to getting the coating!

Just picked up the car and had a chat with the owner. Very happy with the service. They even coated the touchscreen and instrument panel! Car washes are monthly or bimonthly. Sticking a third party carbon fibre spoiler won't be possible without ruining the coating or applying special glue. Normal 3M tape won't be secure enough.

tklwong: You are the Gray Model S? Did the owner tell you that the Tesla paint is thin and some light scratch mark can be seen under street lighting (yellow light) especially on the bonnet and the side of the glass top?

Spoke to him about the paint work. He did mention my grey Tesla was one of the best Teslas he's seen. Worse is black apparently. I only washed my car once since delivery 1 month ago as I was paranoid about scratches. He advises clients to be careful of car park washes as he has seen some scratches on cars.

Just picked up the car and had a chat with the owner. Very happy with the service. They even coated the touchscreen and instrument panel! Car washes are monthly or bimonthly. Sticking a third party carbon fibre spoiler won't be possible without ruining the coating or applying special glue. Normal 3M tape won't be secure enough.

They coat interior also? I'm bit suspicious if coating interior is necessary?!!! Wonder if they give me discount if I don't need them to touch interior?!

I didn't dare to wash or even wipe mine before I went to them for coating, and it was only 6 days after I took delivery. So not sure if it's really problem with the Tesla paint issue or if it was due to their preparation work before the coating? That was still a mystery for me until I looked at other coated Tesla for comparison.

the coating company owner did say something about the waxing the car before the delivery to customers which is very bad work, better not to do it if getting the car, they use hard wax which is bad for the paint job.

- - - Updated - - -

They coat interior also? I'm bit suspicious if coating interior is necessary?!!! Wonder if they give me discount if I don't need them to touch interior?!
yes they do inside too just need to pay a bit extra but don't know how much it cost.

yeah that's what the owner told me too.

Doing the inside together with the coating will cost HKD$800 extra, but I really doubt if it's worth it as I really don't see any different after I did mine. Maybe time will tell.

yeah that's what the owner told me too.

Doing the inside together with the coating will cost HKD$800 extra, but I really doubt if it's worth it as I really don't see any different after I did mine. Maybe time will tell.

Thanks for info .... any one of you of color Gray, coated (never mind when I supposed), see if I could meetup with him/her during charging for me to have a look at it...?

I'm about to call and make reservation in late Aug. I heard they have already served 100+ MS.
For those who have done the 880xx coating(e.g. over 3 months), please share your comment of its protection.
Anyone applied it on your 17" touchscreen? I'm thinking to get protection film, your view/experience? Many Thanks!

After 6 months, still looks good but scratch protection is less than a wrap (which costs x3 or x4).
I wouldn't bother with the 17inch screen, its pretty sturdy.
You may, however, want to treat the silver Model S on the inside of the front door ways.

After 6 months, still looks good but scratch protection is less than a wrap (which costs x3 or x4).
I wouldn't bother with the 17inch screen, its pretty sturdy.
You may, however, want to treat the silver Model S on the inside of the front door ways.
Thanks SK1 for your advice. Found scratch (e.g. stone chips/ swirl) on your car?

- - - Updated - - -

i just done my MS a month ago. It does give that extra shine. I washed the car myself only once and following Don suggestion. I already see swirl marks. Bringing it back to Don this week for him to take a look.
Thanks! What color is your MS? Hope those swirls can be fixed after the visit.

i got my car done (not a tesla) about a year ago. its great. I dont go back for washing - i do it all myself. The proper way to wash the car is to just rinse with clean jet of water. Do that a couple times ... then use a clean wet shammy ....and wipe off any remaining dirt (while the car is still wet & preferably with a gentle stream of water running over the dirt while wiping with the wet shammy).
Once a month, i do the above, but also spray a little bit of the treatment spray onto each body panel... you can buy from them (200$). Then just rinse off with water again. Dry off with another clean shammy.

Thats it ... easy. shine is like new.

I got Pomponazzi. I like it; it makes the car very shiny and because the coating is water-repellent, the car doesn't look so dirty even after a rainstorm. As for how protective it is, I can't say (fingers crossed!). As SK1 said, XPEL wrap is 3-4x the cost, so I know it's not going to be as protective as a wrap. By the way, bringing the car back for a wash is optional not required. That being said, I brought it back for the first time a month ago and the way they wash the car makes it look especially good. I'm so glad I did. What a bargain at $90!!

As for the touchscreen, I got a protective film before I got the coating. Don Lam proactively added the coating to the touchscreen without my asking. I wish they didn't as the coating made the protective film feel rough. My suggestion is to get one or the other but not both.