Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pondering new tires for 2015 MS 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not but please let us know if you do go with the Vredestein. I put on tried-and-trusted Pirelli P7 Plus when I downsized to 19s. The P7+ was phenomenal on a Lexus LS 430 and LS 460, but not as impressive on the S. I would have returned them and tried the Vredestein but it is too late for me now. The P7+ is quieter and much better riding than the OEM Goodyears, but the P7+ doesn't have as good of grip as the Eagle Touring. The extra power of the Model S really brought out the lack of grip on the P7+, something that wasn't an issue on the less powerful Lexus V8s . T

is also the Pirelli P7 Plus II that just came out but too early for any reviews from TireRack. I prefer Grand Touring tires over ultra performance tires, such as the Michelin Pilot AS3+ and only wish I knew about the Vredestein sooner.

I've run about a dozen tires. My preference is the Pirelli P7. It's the quietest tire I've ever tested. That's my main reason for choice. Grip is good, all season performance is good, price is reasonable, wear rating is high. I'm not sure there is anything better unless pure performance on 21's is your bag.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
In your searches, if you find these let us know. I've heard they are in USA, but my Goodyear dealer will not try to get them.
Goodyear for EV cars

Attachments

• 502350-e1520518271682 (1).jpg
    502350-e1520518271682 (1).jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 128
I like the Bridgestone Drive Guard, Run-flat tires. I've had two sets and they've given me great service, and even when they did go flat. Worked real well until I could get to a location to service the Model S which is another story...Teranza Serenity Plus if your not worried about flat tires and no spare....

1k miles on the Vredestein's so far and I can say they are a fantastic and smooth ride, with only a mild bit of squirm (softer sidewalls) when full throttle.

@ 245 width (21" wheel), they are SLIGHTLY too wide and you will just get a HINT of rub while in reverse and @45 degrees of lock. ZERO issues when going forward. Benefit however is the tire now slightly extended past the wheel, giving a TINY hit of wheel protection (see photo).

Looking forward to see if I can get 40k miles out of these (Got only 24k out of the Hankooks).

Attachments

• 20200224_135722.jpg
    20200224_135722.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Disagree
Reactions: pedriscoll
@TLee did you end up going with the Vredestein's?
I am still running on my set of XIces right now, so I haven't bought the new summer'ish tires yet. (The All-Season rating will give me a wide temp range of use.) But, I am getting close to doing so. I think I'll call Tire Rack and see what their GURU has to say in addition to what I get off their site before I make a final determination. FYI - I have 19" wheels for chuckhole damage avoidance (Indiana driving), and am not looking for a super sticky summer tire.

1k miles on the Vredestein's so far and I can say they are a fantastic and smooth ride, with only a mild bit of squirm (softer sidewalls) when full throttle.

@ 245 width (21" wheel), they are SLIGHTLY too wide and you will just get a HINT of rub while in reverse and @45 degrees of lock. ZERO issues when going forward. Benefit however is the tire now slightly extended past the wheel, giving a TINY hit of wheel protection (see photo).

Looking forward to see if I can get 40k miles out of these (Got only 24k out of the Hankooks).
Fabulous. I could sure use some curb rash protection, as I seem to have to repair such every year. That alone is a big selling point for me.

Just put some of the Vredesteins on my '15 S 85D, 19" tires. Just under 1000 miles so far and no problems, quiet and smooth.

Any chance you've had Michelin A/S 3+ tires in the past? If so, how do they compare to the Vredesteins? I realize they're both a different class of tire (UHP vs Grand Touring).

I am coming from Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus and although it is a great Grand Touring tire, I wish it had a sportier feel and more dry traction. I still want the quiet, comfortable ride though so wondering if the Vredesteins bridge that gap.

Any chance you've had Michelin A/S 3+ tires in the past? If so, how do they compare to the Vredesteins? I realize they're both a different class of tire (UHP vs Grand Touring).

I am coming from Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus and although it is a great Grand Touring tire, I wish it had a sportier feel and more dry traction. I still want the quiet, comfortable ride though so wondering if the Vredesteins bridge that gap.
No, haven't had those.

@VaztheDad
@WesButler
How are you liking the Vredesteins?
Was hoping to get another year out of the Generals AS05 but a stupid neighbor who likes to burn crap and then shovel the ash loose into his garbage can cost me a second tire in three years. Three screws in one tire this time.

For traction and weather, they have been a good solid tire without many complaints. That said, you have to recognize they have a much softer sidewalls than the 21s normally would see from the factory. As expected, this has introduced a much more cushioned ride while compromising road feel.

It's enough that I likely won't run these tires again when it time to replace, as in Middle Tennessee the weather doesn't get so bad that I can't run summer tires year round.

Tire update - yes I did put the Vredesteins on my '15 S 85D, 19" tires, this spring. I've put about 2K miles on since, and am happy with them. They are very quiet on asphalt roads, but do have tire noise on concrete. I'd love to find a tire that didn't whir on those roads. Traction and handling has been fine, no issues. I did see Zooomer's earlier comment on Pirelli P7's, though, so = ???