Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Charge Station Etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Okay, so you spend a lot of time over the weekend availing yourself of free power that someone is making available to the community.

IMG_5917.JPG

The least you could do is put the paddle back in the holster instead of leaving it in a snowbank! You do know these things don't work when they're wet, right??? Something about water and electricity?

Play nice with the next person and put the fool thing back in the holder. You know where it is... the thing you pulled it out of.

</rant>

¿Same person who would avail himself of free gasoline, then let the nozzle dangle into the snow, glomming up a fine wad of H2O for the next person to inject into his tank? Yuk.

Sometimes if you don't make the bend gentle enough in the end of the cable, the tension will flip it back out of the holster (some holsters have the head clip in place to prevent this, but not most, AFAICT). It's especially bad when the cable stiffens up in the winter. However, it doesn't look like that's what happened here.

Last year between people not coiling the cable high enough (trailing on the ground as shown in the pic above) and the plow guy deciding to use the EV spots for snow storage, the cable in my local lot got inextricably stuck in a few feet of frozen slush. It was unusable for weeks until we got a thaw.

Reactions: Cyclone
Sometimes if you don't make the bend gentle enough in the end of the cable, the tension will flip it back out of the holster (some holsters have the head clip in place to prevent this, but not most, AFAICT). It's especially bad when the cable stiffens up in the winter. However, it doesn't look like that's what happened here.

Nope! I've had people leave a 1 foot loop going to the paddle, and it stayed put.

Frankly, I am a bit disgusted with how some folks leave stations when they're done. Often worse than Doug's picture with no effort even made to coil the cable back up. I will generally walk over and properly coil up and hang the handle whenever I come across situations like this. Someone I know had their station ripped out by a snow plow because some idiot left the cable on the ground out in the parking spot.

Sometimes I think the European model is much better where there is just a socket on the station and you bring your own cable.

Reactions: jgs and Cyclone
...I will generally walk over and properly coil up and hang the handle whenever I come across situations like this...
I do the same. I can often tell if the station has been used since I last visited by whether or not the cables are neatly coiled and the nozzles are locked in the holder (EVs remain rare here so I use the two public L2 stations in this area so that people can see them being used).