Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor customer service resolutions and compensation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

For those of you who have experienced poor customer service or errors on behalf of Tesla employees I am wondering what resolutions you have come to or what compensation you might have received?

The short version - Tesla has had my car in and out of service for 2 months with no repairs made.
The slightly longer version of my story, I purchased a used X and within the first week of ownership found many issues. I brought the car to a service center (Milford, CT) and they kept the car just shy of 2 weeks. Upon picking the car they addressed none of my issues - just held onto it for about 2 weeks and addressed nothing but said it was all fixed. They then sent a mobile tech out to service the car but he was only able to service one of four issues. They sent a 2nd mobile tech out and he told me he can't do anything and to take it into service. I just dropped the car off again today and they told me the parts need to be ordered and it will be longer than a week.

In other words I have gone out of my way multiple times rearranging my schedule to accommodate Tesla Service for the past 2 months with absolutely zero resolution. A complete exercise in futility. What peeves me in particular is the lack of communication within the company resulting in giving me the runaround and misinformation. If their internal communication was better between the service adviser and technicians we could have resolved everything in one visit, not four.

I am curious if others have received similar treatment with Tesla and if in the long run they were able to further compensate you for your time and all the unnecessary miles added to your car in the process. Thanks!

Could you be a little more specific on exactly what the "many issues" were?

I have had one instance where communication was an issue, and caused a repair delay, but they apologized profusely and knocked some cost off of the repair for my trouble. I would prefer they step back from their text heavy communications...because I feel that is really the root cause of much of these issues.

However, I have not purchased a used Tesla and do not know if that would have changed how service interacted.

I have had one instance where communication was an issue, and caused a repair delay, but they apologized profusely and knocked some cost off of the repair for my trouble. I would prefer they step back from their text heavy communications...because I feel that is really the root cause of much of these issues.

However, I have not purchased a used Tesla and do not know if that would have changed how service interacted.
On the 4th service visit the outstanding issues were a whistling noise coming from the driver side quarter glass that appears at 50+mph, there was a water leak in the falcon door caused by a bad seal, and a rear passenger window that took 45seconds-1min to go up.

These issues were present and "addressed" on the first three visits to no avail. Within the first 3 visits other issues addressed was one windshield wiper that didnt push fluid, an unlockable frunk, an AP camera issue, the rear view cam wouldnt display in the touch screen when in reverse, and autopilot would frequently disable itself with no indication why.

I just got my car back from the 4th service visit. Picked it up and got on the highway - sure enough the whistling noise is still present. All other issues are resolved. I just called into the service center and they said they are going to deliver a loner car to me and tow my car to the service center as I refused to keep putting 60ish miles on my car driving back and forth. That is happening tomorrow.

Over the course of all these visits the staff has been incredibly friendly but the communication between service advisor and service technician is completely absent. I have been given a number of excuses from the staff regarding poor internal communication being at fault.

I absolutely love my Tesla but the service has been extremely poor.

To build on this some more because I am a little peeved...

On the first service visit none of my issues were addressed and the car was held onto for just shy of 2 weeks. Apparently they serviced the wrong car.

The second visit most issues were resolved other than 3. Tesla informed me all issues were addressed when those three had not been. The invoice explains they addressed the wind noise in a wind test but did not specify how, then the slow window even in the customer comment stated "rear passenger window" and in the resolution comment states they replaced the actuator for the "Front passenger"... For the falcon door leak they said they replaced the seal along the rear wheel base not at by the top glass as specified.

On the 3rd visit a mobile tech came out to my workplace and was supposed to bring all necessary tools but he did not. He took the car out for a drive to reproduce the noise while I was at work and he said he was not able to reproduce the issue at 50mph. I asked him if he took it on the highway and he said no as it was too far. I then asked him if he actually took it 50mph on the small residential streets and his response was "hahaha well" followed by a pause and then "you got me". Flat out lied to my face. This appointment was pointless.

The 4th visit was at the service center and another week and a half. All issues but the window whistling noise were addressed. The invoice claims "verified issue is resolved" but it is so clearly apparent I can't imagine they actually drove it. A total of 3 miles were added to the odometer on the visit.

In short after all this I feel any self respecting company would attempt to offer some compensation for all the time and frustration.

In short after all this I feel any self respecting company would attempt to offer some compensation for all the time and frustration.

I don't think compensation is normal for Tesla. Since you are down to one issue left, it sounds like you are on the path to getting it sorted out. Probably best to focus on getting that sorted.