Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery on a Model S last week. It was an inventory car. It had some minor cosmetic exterior issues which I did not consider show stoppers. At the time. The events since then have been pretty amazingly bad customer service. I've bought a lot of cars over the years, with both good and bad experiences, but nothing like this.

1. Went to ask the delivery desk attendant what to do, showed pics. Was told there was no one available to look at the car and to to make a service appointment with pics before leaving the lot, and to notate it as "at delivery". If that wasn't acceptable, we could refuse the car. We chose to accept delivery. The app offered us a mobile appointment a few days later. So far, so good.

2. Day before that appointment, Tesla messaged that this had to be an SC appointment, and made an appt at the Fort Worth SC several days later. That's much further for me than the Plano, SC, so I asked them to move it. They did so,adding a few more days to the lead time.

3) Day of that appointment, Tesla canceled and said "Come in Sunday 9-2 and we will look at it, no appointment needed".

4) We arrive at noon today (Sunday). There is a line of newish Teslas running the full length of the parking lot. We hoped that line was for something else, and went to find the service entrance. We waited in line at the podium for about 20 minutes, after which we were told they probably wouldn't get to everyone already in line; come back early morning next Sunday. It was clear they expected to stop at 2pm, regardless of how many cars were still in line. We objected and asked for an appointment (We have Sunday morning commitments). They initially offered appointment was 3 weeks out. We objected to that and they offered us a slot this week.

5) We spoke to someone near the end of the line. He had already been there over an hour. There were still around 50 cars ahead of him. I doubt he will get helped today.

I fully expect them to cancel that appointment again, although we did ask the attendant to put a note not to do so. I understand that we should have arrived earlier, but they gave us no indication that we needed to. They were amazingly casual and unapologetic about the whole thing--as if trained to be that way. I have to wonder if they hope we will just give up on having them look at it so they don't have to go on record refusing a fix. (If so, they may well win that battle).

• Disagree
Reactions: kopo and GOVA
Also in DFW, happy to hear you eventually got it fixed. However doesn't sound like a great experience overall at this price point. 🤷‍♂️
Very true. I've had cars from Honda, Acura, Mazda, and BMW. They all had their ups and downs. I've had dealerships take care of me and dealerships actively try to scam me. But none like this. OTOH, I've had tech companies behave very much like this, so I guess it fits Tesla's image of a tech company that happens to make cars.

For a different viewpoint, I was charging Friday night and discovered the car was going crazy. I got on the app, and 15 minutes later I had a message that the car had to go to service and a tow would arrive in 45 minutes. Saturday at 9:00 I was signed out on a S loaner and continued with my day. Fort Meyers Service Center.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS and kopo
For a different viewpoint, I was charging Friday night and discovered the car was going crazy. I got on the app, and 15 minutes later I had a message that the car had to go to service and a tow would arrive in 45 minutes. Saturday at 9:00 I was signed out on a S loaner and continued with my day. Fort Meyers Service Center.
Glad to hear that--that is what an expensive car service experience should be like.

We were told they Plano, TX SC does not have loan cars. They will message you with Uber codes, but only if they keep your car overnight.

Get used to it. Worst customer service of any company I've ever dealt with.

Even worse is the actual work they do...

Here is my MS the day after I brought it back from SvC for driveshaft replacement:

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 148
We took delivery of our new MYP on Saturday. My wife noticed two large chips on the front passenger fender and a paint run on the hood during the orientation of the car w/Tesla rep. They had to buff out the drip on the hood, but said the fender would have to be placed. A service ticket was created in the app. I should have stopped process right there and not accept the car, but the Tesla rep said it would only take an hour to R/R the fender. He further stated he would create a 'due bill' and took pictures of the chips.

The following day I received a call from Tesla. They stated they do not replace fenders and that the passenger side of the vehicle would have to be repainted. Further to my disappointment, the service department said, 'lots of new cars come with paint imperfections and have to be repainted'. Who says bullshit like that to a consumer!!!???? I said give me a new car. I don't want a repainted vehicle. The issue was escalated to the delivery manager and service manager on Monday. I finally heard from service today, and they literally said, 'what's the issue'? When I explained my problems, they said they saw the service appointment was cancelled by service, there was no due bill, and there is nothing they can do for me now. The Tesla rep even took the pictures of the chips on his phone and emailed them to me!!! Such bullshit!!

Honestly, just the worst customer service!

Reactions: zebrafish and Barry
We took delivery of our new MYP on Saturday. My wife noticed two large chips on the front passenger fender and a paint run on the hood during the orientation of the car w/Tesla rep. They had to buff out the drip on the hood, but said the fender would have to be placed. A service ticket was created in the app. I should have stopped process right there and not accept the car, but the Tesla rep said it would only take an hour to R/R the fender. He further stated he would create a 'due bill' and took pictures of the chips.

The following day I received a call from Tesla. They stated they do not replace fenders and that the passenger side of the vehicle would have to be repainted. Further to my disappointment, the service department said, 'lots of new cars come with paint imperfections and have to be repainted'. Who says bullshit like that to a consumer!!!???? I said give me a new car. I don't want a repainted vehicle. The issue was escalated to the delivery manager and service manager on Monday. I finally heard from service today, and they literally said, 'what's the issue'? When I explained my problems, they said they saw the service appointment was cancelled by service, there was no due bill, and there is nothing they can do for me now. The Tesla rep even took the pictures of the chips on his phone and emailed them to me!!! Such bullshit!!

Honestly, just the worst customer service!

Yes, sounds familiar. Not much you can do except to warn others never to accept a car with any imperfections you can't fix yourself or live with.