Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor FM Radio Reception???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my refresh (2021) S about 6 months ago, I mostly just streamed radio. But lately I've been TRYING to listen to FM, and it's just been terrible!

It cuts in/out every few seconds... it's basically unusable. It'll be strong -> no signal -> strong -> no signal.

I reached out to my tint guys to see if the Crystalline would have affected it (don't think so) before I decide to file a Service Request with Tesla over this (I'm concerned they'll just blame it on the tint w/o looking).

They also added a rear dashcam in the area... not sure if that would affect it but I will try to disconnect it to see if it helps at all.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or is this expected behavior in the S?

not that it’s an excuse for poor FM, I’ll give my no tint a shot at FM.

I tend to use TuneIn for “radio” too. Nice to travel without losing your station.

Doesn’t often work for sports though.

FM radio reception in my Model S is is about half the range that my Toyota gets. It's because of poor antenna design and placement.
After doing some more messing around and Google-Fu, it turns out it's my rear dashcam + dashcam battery in the trunk that's causing the terrible issue. I bought some ferrite cores to wrap around the cables for it, and it's improved dramatically!!

While still not as good as other vehicles, it's definitely better and more tolerable... but I think you are right. Reception in the S still isn't super strong!

Reactions: mswlogo
After doing some more messing around and Google-Fu, it turns out it's my rear dashcam + dashcam battery in the trunk that's causing the terrible issue. I bought some ferrite cores to wrap around the cables for it, and it's improved dramatically!!

While still not as good as other vehicles, it's definitely better and more tolerable... but I think you are right. Reception in the S still isn't super strong!
I think I'm having a similar issue with my 2021 Model 3. I've noticed the radio would become worse whenever the dashcam is on.

How did you find out? I can't find anything else online.

I forgot where I saw it... but it wasn't easy to see. I did search far and wide for days trying to figure out what to do.
I bought a bunch of those ferrite cores on Amazon and clipped them in a bunch of places:
Near the plug for the rear dashcam
Near the plug for the dashcam battery
Near the plug for the front dashcam

While still not perfect and have reception issues, it's much more tolerable than before.
Good luck!