Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Grid Power Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I have been receiving the following alert for the past few days “Poor Grid Power Quality” when I connect my home charger - no issues for the past 3 months - only noticed from the last few days - charging speeds have gone down from 30A to 16A - my charger is a 7Kw Pod Point - please help - Any idea where the issue is - is it the charger itself or the electric supplier or something else. Please advise.

Attachments

• 08853CA1-8235-49C3-9B20-259C1EE77917.jpeg
    08853CA1-8235-49C3-9B20-259C1EE77917.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 285
Our local grid voltage used to get up to 256 volts at times.
I complained to the DNO and eventually they turned us down. After a fight...
Might be worth just checking what yours is.
Glad it’s not just me - had a couple of charges fail recently and it seems to be ‘cos the Garo disconnects due to >253V supply. Nice that the car thinks it’s charging at 8kW when it does, not so good when it doesn’t charge at all. Might be time to have a moan at my DNO then …

Upvote 0
Glad it’s not just me - had a couple of charges fail recently and it seems to be ‘cos the Garo disconnects due to >253V supply. Nice that the car thinks it’s charging at 8kW when it does, not so good when it doesn’t charge at all. Might be time to have a moan at my DNO then …
If you’re going to have a moan it might be worth performing some measurements so you can quote them exact voltages and time stamps. Otherwise I doubt they’ll be very proactive.
@Glan gluaisne had a fair bit of work getting his DNO to fix his issues, if I remember correctly…

Upvote 0
If you can prove to the DNO that the voltage often is >253v , they are legally obligated to sort it out.

Upvote 0
"...Poor grid quality.." (and charge rate hs been reduced). This touch-screen message misled me for months. It kept me from locally submitting a service order. Had I not purchased a Tesla Wall Connector, but instead, stayed with the NEMA 14-50 connection, I would still be wallowing in grid issues.

After reporting the touch-screen message to my local power company, I was exceedingly fortunate to receive same-day consultation. They agreed there might be a voltage drop problem. In less than 5 more days, a 7-man crew arrived with a new pole transformer and larger gauge power drop to my home. But, this did not cure the problem: Touch screen message still insisted that I had "poor grid quality"!

BTW, another possible warning symptom: hot charging cable. I dutifully replaced my cable and the 14-50 outlet, to no avail! At this point, I ordered a Tesla Wall Connector. The Las Vegas Wall Connector team was very patient and helpful in getting the on-line features working. But then, max current was onlt 32 A on a 60 A breaker and new #6 AWG wiring. Touch screen keep saying "...poor grid quality..." All electrical work was provided by a professional contractor.

After again dialing the 800 Wall Connector help number, the Buffalo Wall Connector team took over and, after working with me several hours , correctly diagnosed the problem: and, in writing, urged me to make an immediate service appointment. I did so, and after several weeks, the new charger arrived. I now have the full 48 amp available. Meanwhile. 50,000 miles was creeping up fast.

Along the way, I have learned some interesting things. A service note received a couple of weeks ago indicates that not all Model 3's, specifically the RWD version, offer a 48 A charger. Some are only 32 A. If you are using a NEMA 14-50 cable, you will never know this, because max amps for a 14-50 are 32! Similar to others writing here, my charger incrementally failed: 48 A (I guess) >32 A > 16 A > Zero A. Total failure occurred as I waited for a replacement. (Others have correctly stated that the AC charger is three each 16 A units , with the available amperage dependent on wall connector/wire and breaker sizes.) My Model 3 is a 2018 LR RWD.

Once more, kudos to CPS Energy, our locally owned power company, to the Wall Connector team in Buffalo, whose letter to me made possible a no questions asked battery charger replacement, and to the Tesla San Antonio Service Department, whose patience and competence in dealing with this complex problem were exemplary! Once more, if your Touchscreen says "...poor grid quality" AC charger failure may be the likely defect!

Reactions: bobusn
Upvote 0
"...Poor grid quality.." (and charge rate hs been reduced). This touch-screen message misled me for months. It kept me from locally submitting a service order. Had I not purchased a Tesla Wall Connector, but instead, stayed with the NEMA 14-50 connection, I would still be wallowing in grid issues.

After reporting the touch-screen message to my local power company, I was exceedingly fortunate to receive same-day consultation. They agreed there might be a voltage drop problem. In less than 5 more days, a 7-man crew arrived with a new pole transformer and larger gauge power drop to my home. But, this did not cure the problem: Touch screen message still insisted that I had "poor grid quality"!

BTW, another possible warning symptom: hot charging cable. I dutifully replaced my cable and the 14-50 outlet, to no avail! At this point, I ordered a Tesla Wall Connector. The Las Vegas Wall Connector team was very patient and helpful in getting the on-line features working. But then, max current was onlt 32 A on a 60 A breaker and new #6 AWG wiring. Touch screen keep saying "...poor grid quality..." All electrical work was provided by a professional contractor.

After again dialing the 800 Wall Connector help number, the Buffalo Wall Connector team took over and, after working with me several hours , correctly diagnosed the problem: and, in writing, urged me to make an immediate service appointment. I did so, and after several weeks, the new charger arrived. I now have the full 48 amp available. Meanwhile. 50,000 miles was creeping up fast.

Along the way, I have learned some interesting things. A service note received a couple of weeks ago indicates that not all Model 3's, specifically the RWD version, offer a 48 A charger. Some are only 32 A. If you are using a NEMA 14-50 cable, you will never know this, because max amps for a 14-50 are 32! Similar to others writing here, my charger incrementally failed: 48 A (I guess) >32 A > 16 A > Zero A. Total failure occurred as I waited for a replacement. (Others have correctly stated that the AC charger is three each 16 A units , with the available amperage dependent on wall connector/wire and breaker sizes.) My Model 3 is a 2018 LR RWD.

Once more, kudos to CPS Energy, our locally owned power company, to the Wall Connector team in Buffalo, whose letter to me made possible a no questions asked battery charger replacement, and to the Tesla San Antonio Service Department, whose patience and competence in dealing with this complex problem were exemplary! Once more, if your Touchscreen says "...poor grid quality" AC charger failure may be the likely defect!
You know you are on the UK forum right? Our grid is very different to yours so sadly most of your post is kinda meaningless to us im afraid. But i do agree your last sentence is a posibility.

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
Upvote 0

Thanks for posting your experience. We're about to move our level 2 charger to a 60A circuit from 30A.

Also, glad to know our CPS partner was so helpful in this instance. And, I agree, the Tesla San Antonio team is top notch. Happy charging!

Upvote 0
These posts could do with being moved out of the UK/Ireland section of the forum.
I have no idea how this post ended up in UK/Ireland. Please move to N. America, if you can. However, on-board charger module failure is not unique here. So the post might actually be helpful to you chap! The sticky wicket is the incorrectly designed touch screen read out: blaming the power utility for a failed internal charger. Thanks for your post!

Reactions: Adopado
Upvote 0
I have no idea how this post ended up in UK/Ireland. Please move to N. America, if you can. However, on-board charger module failure is not unique here. So the post might actually be helpful to you chap! The sticky wicket is the incorrectly designed touch screen read out: blaming the power utility for a failed internal charger. Thanks for your post!
Yes, there's some appropriate crossover but unfortunately when we get into describing the grid supply setup (and potential responses*) the differences do muddy the water. It will need a moderator to make the decision and, if appropriate, to move any posts. Perhaps @GeorgeSymonds will look in.

(* pun intended);)

Upvote 0
There seems to be only a couple of posts from the US in the thread, and it's a thread bump from a year ago (albeit the bump started in August).

If there's an existing US thread that someone can point me to then I'd be happy to move them. Maybe

Otherwise @Linkrad you may just want to start your own thread and add some additional context.

As an aside, this type of issue usually comes up when someone spots a thread in the "Similar threads" section and hasn't realised they've drifted into a country specific area.

• Helpful
Reactions: Adopado
Upvote 0