Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor initial experience with my Tesla Model Y Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this may offend some people, but shut up. You are buying a performance model and want a compliant ride.? It has 21 inch 35 profile (probably summer) tires. I get sick of people complaining about it. I have owned the 3P and still have our YP so if you don't want a sports car ride buy something else. And usually the responses are "change the suspension". Yes you can do that but IF you have an issue, it is almost guaranteed that Tesla will not warranty anything to do with it. And why would you pay the new price for these and spend additional $thousands on that when everyone is complaining about how much they cost. I have a family member with a M50i X5 and his wife has an AMG GLE. They both ride way worse than the Y and cost near 100k. Sorry for the rant but D@mn!
The thing is that MYP 21" rides better than LR on 19". Other brands are either ugly, slow, pricey or small. Can't buy anything else and can't keep running diesel so think I need to stick with it

I think a big problem here is unrealistic expectations vs reality. It is important to keep in mind, when it comes to QA, you're comparing a car company that's less than 20 years old vs nearly 120 year old companies (Ford for example). The latter have just a tad bit more time to dial in production and QA. Buying any Tesla is much like buying a first run production from one of the legacy companies. It's gonna have problems at some point and that's the reality of the situation. You gotta know what you're getting into and manage your expectations.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily fault you the way you feel about things - it sucks paying luxury price for a midrange quality. But that's how it's been for many years and will continue to be for quite some time when buying a Tesla. First impressions matter and it seems like your first impression was arguably worse than average so I can understand how you've soured on the whole experience. I'd be annoyed with faulty steering rack and squeaks (which, side note... from my tuner days, I've found it often has to do with suspension not being installed properly... either the bolts at the top that connect suspension to the body are over/under torqued or unevenly torqued are often the culprit). But that being said, it looks like the service center has identified most the issues and they are willing to fix it.

As for the ride quality, not to be harsh or anything... but you bought a performance spec car. Typically that means it's spec'd for the track - which usually means stiffer suspension and tighter steering. Teslas already have relatively sportier suspensions, even in the LR spec - so one should only expect a harsher ride with the Performance spec. Larger wheels, proportionally thinner tire sidewalls, and stiffer suspension will all contribute to a harsher ride. One should expect no less. Performance =\= Comfort.

My vehicle had some minor issues (not as bad as yours) and has developed a few others over the 9 months I've had it, but this is the burden of early adoption. (yes Tesla has been around for two decades, but in the grand scheme of things, 20 years is a drop in the bucket. They're still very new). This is generally the case with all new technology and is not a unique situation to Tesla.

I don't fault you for being bothered by the issues, but people need to have realistic expectations of what they're getting into. At the end of the day, most people spend a large part of their life driving their cars - so it's not worth being stuck in something you don't love. Sell it and get something you'll be happy in instead.

I know this may offend some people, but shut up. You are buying a performance model and want a compliant ride.? It has 21 inch 35 profile (probably summer) tires. I get sick of people complaining about it. I have owned the 3P and still have our YP so if you don't want a sports car ride buy something else. And usually the responses are "change the suspension". Yes you can do that but IF you have an issue, it is almost guaranteed that Tesla will not warranty anything to do with it. And why would you pay the new price for these and spend additional $thousands on that when everyone is complaining about how much they cost. I have a family member with a M50i X5 and his wife has an AMG GLE. They both ride way worse than the Y and cost near 100k. Sorry for the rant but D@mn!

It's like ordering a rare steak and complaining it's bloody.

Do your research - know what you're buying...

I think a big problem here is unrealistic expectations vs reality. It is important to keep in mind, when it comes to QA, you're comparing a car company that's less than 20 years old vs nearly 120 year old companies (Ford for example). The latter have just a tad bit more time to dial in production and QA. Buying any Tesla is much like buying a first run production from one of the legacy companies. It's gonna have problems at some point and that's the reality of the situation. You gotta know what you're getting into and manage your expectations.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily fault you the way you feel about things - it sucks paying luxury price for a midrange quality. But that's how it's been for many years and will continue to be for quite some time when buying a Tesla. First impressions matter and it seems like your first impression was arguably worse than average so I can understand how you've soured on the whole experience. I'd be annoyed with faulty steering rack and squeaks (which, side note... from my tuner days, I've found it often has to do with suspension not being installed properly... either the bolts at the top that connect suspension to the body are over/under torqued or unevenly torqued are often the culprit). But that being said, it looks like the service center has identified most the issues and they are willing to fix it.

As for the ride quality, not to be harsh or anything... but you bought a performance spec car. Typically that means it's spec'd for the track - which usually means stiffer suspension and tighter steering. Teslas already have relatively sportier suspensions, even in the LR spec - so one should only expect a harsher ride with the Performance spec. Larger wheels, proportionally thinner tire sidewalls, and stiffer suspension will all contribute to a harsher ride. One should expect no less. Performance =\= Comfort.

My vehicle had some minor issues (not as bad as yours) and has developed a few others over the 9 months I've had it, but this is the burden of early adoption. (yes Tesla has been around for two decades, but in the grand scheme of things, 20 years is a drop in the bucket. They're still very new). This is generally the case with all new technology and is not a unique situation to Tesla.

I don't fault you for being bothered by the issues, but people need to have realistic expectations of what they're getting into. At the end of the day, most people spend a large part of their life driving their cars - so it's not worth being stuck in something you don't love. Sell it and get something you'll be happy in instead.
10's of public reviews, tests and reports plus my own experience says that Berlin-made P is more comfortable than Shanghai-made LR. I don't know what cars are you getting in the states, but this is how it is in Europe.

Lowered 21" can be softer than 19" and so on.

Thank you for saying exactly what I wanted to.👍

Sorry..production issues are not because they haven't been around a long time.....They're beyond the growing pain period for any new model. The QA issues are as a result of rushed work, likely because of internal BS KPIs. They're able to fix a vast majority of them fairly quickly but it is blatantly obvious, a lot of the issues are because they're rushing. Thankfully they seem to be doing a better job of resolving these in a timely manner...

I think the car itself is great....The design is pretty solid...performance is fine. The suspension could be better, saying it is a performance vehicle (even when it isn't a P) and then saying a rough ride should be expected is just not true...and it isn't even tuned to true performance if that's where we're going...it is just an excuse. They could be better, it just isn't better. If I often drove in areas where the roads were a bit beat up then I'd probably strongly consider selling it, but since that's not common for me, I'm overall happy since the ride on fairly good roads is actually quite nice. Add to that I rarely have anyone in the back seat, it is just not a big deal for me. I can imagine it sucking for many others.

People are far too easy about giving them a pass...wrong is wrong. This isn't the initial run of cars..they've been around awhile...They've had plenty of time to iron out some of the issues..and to be fair, they've ironed out some of them.....but if you think people should just be ok with that..honestly, that's partially why they haven't taken some of these issues as seriously as they should.

Again, for my personal experience...I really like my car....I expected panel gaps..and I got panel gaps...It took multiple attempts to fix them but they eventually got to a point where it was acceptable..not great, nowhere near as good as most cars I've seen, but good enough. Should that be how things are? Absolutely not. Am I happy about it? Absolutely not. This is a company with a market cap that used to be over 1 trillion...making it one of the largest companies in the world...they could make it better..they could be doing more. This isn't a startup with limited capital....

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird and 804son
Regardless of what it "should" be in a perfect world, that's not the reality we live in. The reality is that Tesla is producing cars at this known quality level. Anyone buying a Tesla today and expecting an ultra luxury, perfectly built car with squishy grand touring suspension, perfect body panels, etc. is being willfully ignorant at the bare minimum. Again, don't order a rare steak and get mad that it's bloody.
Yes, things should be better, but this is what it is. If you're not willing to go through the QA lottery and likely going through several rounds of service, then don't buy a Tesla. Not everyone has a bad experience and some people are getting good cars, but you have to know the risk exists. Know what you're buying and if you didn't do your own research, own up to the fact that you made a poor decision. People are often too quick to point fingers and too slow to admit mistakes.
Caution: coffee is hot.

Reactions: 804son
Read this and I just couldn't agree more. I cannot understand why people go with the performance variants of these cars and expect a compliant ride. All sports cars have a stiff suspension. AMGs, Ms, RSs, 911s, they all drive like bricks. They are stiff for a reason. However, Tesla suspension is still very meh, but not because of how stiff it is.

On the other hand, I think people should be vocal and complain about their cars. That's how change happens.

Why offer a 4-door SUV w/ optional 7 seat capacity, which is obviously aimed for families when the ride is harsh and non-compliant?

On the other hand, I think people should be vocal and complain about their cars. That's how change happens.

Why offer a 4-door SUV w/ optional 7 seat capacity, which is obviously aimed for families when the ride is harsh and non-compliant?
I completely agree that people should be vocal and complain in order to force change - especially with a company like Tesla where they constantly implement changes and do seem to pay attention to social media and forums such as this one.

However, there is a difference between complaining to inform in order to find a solution versus complaining about known issues and trying to pass it off as if they were entirely innocent, had no way of knowing, and was swindled by some sneaky corporate conspiracy. When providing feedback, there's constructive and non-constructive criticism. One is effective in inciting positive change while the other just pisses people off for no reason other than allowing irrational people the path of least resistance to immaturely vent their frustrations.

Reactions: MileUnderDude

The Model Y Performance is a Compliant Ride though. Compliance is about stability and handling, not softness.

Soft ride and Compliant do not go together, softer rides will have more body roll, have less focus on handling and weight distribution as they generally have more ground clearance and are equipped with air suspensions which have more give when gliding over the road.

Companies build products and share specs of said products, it is then up to buyers to learn more about said products and make informed decisions.

As for offering 7 seats, think about it, the 3rd row is only usable for small children, a family with small children is generally a younger demographic, younger demographics have a propensity to choose performance over large "luxury" SUVs.

Reactions: dagug
My family is exactly what you describe in that last sentence. We are a relatively younger demographic and have the third row specifically to schlep around the kids and their friends. Before kids, I messed around with customizing most of my vehicles, including swapping out suspension and engine mods on my own. Now that we have kids, I've kept things mostly stock for safety reasons but still love the feel of a track-ready performance vehicle. My kids often ask for "super speed"...

Reactions: MileUnderDude
Hi folks,

Looking to see if any of you had a similar experience with your Tesla initially.

I took delivery of my 22 Model Y Performance about three weeks ago. I've had a really rough go and find myself almost sick to my stomach when I think about how much I paid vs the quality of vehicle I got. Some of the challenges I've had are included below.

As expected, it had some pretty horrendous paint defects on delivery (like 8-10 inch scratches), so I sent it out to get paint corrected and ceramic coated. This cleaned up like 90% of those defects which was great. After driving it for a few miles I found/heard lots of other issues. Among many other smaller issues, I noticed: the steering wheel has to be turned 4 or 5 degrees to the right for the car to go straight, the front left suspension has a metal-on-metal thunking sound with every bump, the front right suspension makes a pretty awful grinding noise when turning right, and several pieces of trim rattle (the primary offender being some deep, loud rattle by the windshield). The quality of trim is also disappointing with poorly fitting plastics everywhere and sweaty seat material. Also, for some reason the steering wheel feels tiny (?). Not necessarily an issue with my particular car, but it rides like a freight train. I feel every little bump in the road, and I'm sure this just accentuates the rattles I'm hearing. I fear that I got a car that was slapped together before the turn of the quarter - when the assembly line is rushed and cars are pushed out as fast as possible.

All that being said, there are definitely things I love about the car. I love the smooth operation, the power, the easy acceleration, deceleration, and heating/AC controls. The panel gaps were not great but definitely better than I expected. The white interior with the red exterior is beautiful. I just don't know if these positives outweigh the negatives.

Anyway, I'm wondering three things: have you guys had bad rattles that were able to fixed by tesla? what can I do to make the ride better (I was hoping I could put some chunkier tires on to soften the ride. I have the 21" uberturbines. I want to keep it as close to stock as possible, I don't want to replace suspension components.)? And, what can I do to make the interior feel nicer and less like a $80k Camry?

Thanks!
My steering wheel was off as well. I had to take it to them twice to correct it and the wing on the back hatch kept coming loose replaced 3 times . I also had a water leak in the lower back trim of the hatch which took 3 visits to get it fixed (actually I found the problem and told the technician what to do. Overall fit and finish is much better than all the 8 mustangs I have owned. No regrets!

My steering wheel was off as well. I had to take it to them twice to correct it and the wing on the back hatch kept coming loose replaced 3 times . I also had a water leak in the lower back trim of the hatch which took 3 visits to get it fixed (actually I found the problem and told the technician what to do. Overall fit and finish is much better than all the 8 mustangs I have owned. It‘s a 2021 Y performance with 28,600 miles and love the choice I made.