Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor old Essie towed again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Geesh, sorry Doug! You've had more than your share of issues.

I periodically reboot the center console and dash screen, did so today, as I will be on a road trip tomorrow, and I like to ensure things run smoothly when travelling hundreds of km in a day. Interestingly, I wasn't able to get the trip display to show round trip range remaining earlier, and after reboot it showed up fine.

Being in the IT industry, I see customers running million dollar servers do weekly or monthly maintenance and reboot is one of the items on their list.

Perhaps Tesla should do the same with the computer systems on the S/X. Most other cars "boot up" when the key is turned on, but their systems are far simpler in many ways.

Keep us posted. Although I'm pretty sure I'll hear from your buddy on the "other forum". :(

Cheers.

My S is heading in to get a new drive unit (inverter/transmission/motor assembly). It started about a month ago with what seemed to be the magical appearance of an internal combustion engine. Interesting sound after such a long quite ride. Regen sounds like i'm gearing down with a stick...

Glad you got your car back and all fixed up, Doug. Now it's my turn...

I've been noticing a squeaking/creaking sound at low speeds going over bumps or when turning the steering wheel. It was very rare until recently, but in the past week it got much worse, to the point where I'm not comfortable driving it. It seems like a ball joint squeaking, or something else in the front right suspension. A broken ball joint is not something I want to have happen (see Suspension Problem on Model S) so I called Tesla Montreal today. They said the soonest they could send a trailer with a loaner was May 18, so I opted to have them tow it to Montreal. The tow truck from Montreal was here in about 2 hours, and the Enterprise rental guy came a bit later. So now I'm driving a minivan (ugh) until it's fixed. (I could have got a smaller car, but I need room for a ladder and golf clubs;)). I also told them that my HPWC cable was not making a good connection again (it has been replaced twice). They said I could just take the cable off the HPWC and put it in the car, and they would send a new one back with my car. Works for me! The only problem is I need to drive to Montreal in the minivan to get my car when it's done. Oh well - better than waiting 3 weeks.
Got my car back on Friday. They replaced a control arm, replaced the whole drive unit, and left me a new HPWC cable. And I hadn't said anything about brakes, but they gave me the "winter brake package" which is all new, upgraded pads and rotors and some other brake parts for all 4 brakes. As I drove away, it felt like I had a new car. 52,000 km and 2 1/4 years and I still haven't paid a cent for maintenance or repairs after the initial service plan. Of course, this is as it should be, but to get hardware upgrades and new software features without asking, and never having to argue to get things fixed properly... this is not the normal car dealer experience.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Okay now it's Tessie's turn. They're saying it's an isolation fault, which means the car won't turn on at all. So the rear wheels won't unlock.

The Roadster only has a tow hook port at the front. There was no way to drag it backwards out of the garage. So what to do? Get creative! The tow truck operator and I jacked it up to make enough space to insert wheel dollies. Then we worked together to turn it around by hand in the garage!

IMG_5443.JPG

It was still a careful procedure after that to drag it onto the truck, but in the end it was off to Montreal!

IMG_5452.JPG

OMG I don't believe this.

So after the steering fix, Essie had to go right back in again because the TPMS system failed. I got her back a week ago.

And now... her pano roof just self-destructed. It made loud crunching sounds when I selected vent, and then it took about 20 tries to get it to close. Close-ish. There's a big gap on the right side.

I guess it's back to Montreal... again.

:-(