Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor polishing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah I see you are US based, so pricing probably not very relevant over here (UK sub-forum). Whenever I've looked at PPF over here it has always looked very pricey.
You may consider covering just the front like a bra. Most of the damage occurs there.

However, the coverage I got (mirrors forward) is about the same price in the UK

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski
You may consider covering just the front like a bra. Most of the damage occurs there.

However, the coverage I got (mirrors forward) is about the same price in the UK

Yes, I think that's what I will consider next time. Front end stone chips are the only thing I tend to get on my cars and this would prevent those. I would cover the door sills on a Model 3 too. I never bothered with our MX and to be fair after 42k miles the paintwork still looks great, with literally just a couple of very minor stone chips on the front. I'm not even sure I could justify the cost in that case as we will be replacing it early next year. But our M3 is looking like it might become a stone-chip magnet! I'm thinking of buying a Model Y next year and based on our M3 experience I think your idea of front end PPF makes sense.

I've had a quote of £4200 for an M3P to be partially wrapped with Xpel Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film. Cheaper than a respray, but my god, HOW MUCH!

My previous cars have been Ceramic coated for £700, including wheels, glass and all body panels, full detail and paint correction using IGL Kenzo (most expensive one in the area). I can't imagine that the PPF takes as long or is as labour intensive?!

I've had a quote of £4200 for an M3P to be partially wrapped with Xpel Ultimate Plus Paint Protection Film. Cheaper than a respray, but my god, HOW MUCH!
Can't see the value in that at all. Even if £4200 was a genuine price for the work involved, it would only make sense on a very special car - like a £250k Tesla Roadster. Certainly not on an M3! Before PPF became so popular, it was standard practice at Porsche dealerships to respray the front end of their used stock (front bumper and bonnet) to remove any stone chips. Cost of that was around £500 from memory.

I think I would struggle to justify more than a grand for paint protection on any relatively ordinary car I was planning to keep for 4 or 5 years. Having gone down the ceramic route previously, I didn't think it was really worth it. Especially not now there are some very decent spray on products available for a fraction of the cost. I'm finding the Turtlewax Graphene extremely easy to use and can top it up on every wash. Obviously doesn't give any stone chip protection like PPF, but neither does ceramic.

Reactions: Jonny Ringo