Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor polishing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently looking at ceramic options, so that may get sorted by the detailer - the only thing putting me off is if I get it coated and then in the future something happens with the paint work due to a Tesla defect (I see a few owners have had resprays from Tesla for example) - am I stuffed?
When you say “something happens” what are you imagining? Paint is paint, if the car has runs, dust nibs, scratches, etc then that’s not going to suddenly manifest - it’ll be there now.

A detailer would be able to sort holograms, swirls, etc. As to whether or not Tesla would contribute to that, it’s hard to say. I would say that you’re not going to buy any new car and receive it in freshly detailed condition, in terms of paint.

Reactions: init6
I've got a quote from a GTECHNIQ approved detailer to correct these halos and swirl marks, and they reckon it will need a minimum 2 stage (£770), possible 3 stage (£1100) polish. Does that sound about right?
It doesn’t sound like an outrageous price. But if you ask a detailer to fix your car they’re going to find all sorts of things wrong, not least of which because they’re in the business of fixing them.

You could fix holograms, swirls, etc yourself with a DA polisher, if that’s all you’re trying to do. If you want your car detailed, ceramic coated, PPF, etc then that’s a separate (and much bigger) job.

Reactions: marts_uk
I've got a quote from a GTECHNIQ approved detailer to correct these halos and swirl marks, and they reckon it will need a minimum 2 stage (£770), possible 3 stage (£1100) polish. Does that sound about right?
I think £1,100 is extortionate. I was quoted 250 quid at my local detailers, who is very good and xpel approved for ppf. That was for a machine polish and then a wipe of gtechniq sealant.

The model 3 doesn't have a roof to polish so not much to do!

I'd shop around if I was you.

Reactions: Jez_GB
My car is at the detailers right now for their "new car" package + Kenzo ceramic for £650. He rang me yesterday and said the paint job was so poor it would need a second polishing stage and would cost £100-150. That's the sort of ballpark you want to be aiming for.

I think £1,100 is extortionate. I was quoted 250 quid at my local detailers, who is very good and xpel approved for ppf. That was for a machine polish and then a wipe of gtechniq sealant.

The model 3 doesn't have a roof to polish so not much to do!

I'd shop around if I was you.
Indeed that seems a crazy price.

£250 at my local detailer with rave reviews too.

Or do it yourself even cheaper, it's really not difficult.

My car is at the detailers right now for their "new car" package + Kenzo ceramic for £650. He rang me yesterday and said the paint job was so poor it would need a second polishing stage and would cost £100-150. That's the sort of ballpark you want to be aiming for.

That aligns exactly with my quotes too, New car paint correction package.

Polish + kamikaze ceramic = 650.
Polish + sealant = 250

I went for ppf on sills instead of ceramic. PPF will protect the paint.

That old trick! Could you hear them sucking through their teeth as they told you how bad it was and how only by superhuman efforts and skill they can sort it for only another £150.

Reactions: Durzel
For my money just put sealant on it after the polish, much cheaper than ceramic and some of the spray sealants are really good now.
+1 to this. Budget a few hundred quid for the pro polish and then £30 for some Turtlewax Graphene Flex Wax which just sprays on after a wash. We have one Tesla ceramic coated (I think it was around £500 including prep) and one with the £30 Turtlewax spray. I can't tell any difference in appearance and they are both as easy to keep clean.

£1100 is utterly ridiculous!

I am currently looking at ceramic options, so that may get sorted by the detailer - the only thing putting me off is if I get it coated and then in the future something happens with the paint work due to a Tesla defect (I see a few owners have had resprays from Tesla for example) - am I stuffed?
I recommend PPF vs. Ceramic. Much more protective. You can also put a Ceramic coat on top of the PPF.
With the PPF I have (STEK Dynosheild), the last coat on the top of it is actually a ceramic (2 for 1) .

I like it far better than XPEL or 3M and about 2/3 the price.

Reality is every other new car I've had has arrived without swirls, holograms and paint defects. That's not a "car show finish" - but to expect that any new car would be shiny and without defects isn't a big expectation.
Did you honestly look as closely at them as you did with the Tesla?
Our local Porsche dealership was quite well known for adding swirl marks on routine service cleans (more discerning customers generally ask them NOT to clean their cars). They also make plenty of money from offering 3rd party ceramic coatings, polishings etc which don't come as standard on brand new £100k+ cars. Much further down the food-chain my wife's brand new Nissan came with loads of swirl marks inflicted by their on-site new car prep.

I solved the whole swirl issue by just buying white cars!

Reactions: Jez_GB and Durzel
I recommend PPF vs. Ceramic. Much more protective. You can also put a Ceramic coat on top of the PPF.
With the PPF I have (STEK Dynosheild), the last coat on the top of it is actually a ceramic (2 for 1) .

I like it far better than XPEL or 3M and about 2/3 the price.

Looks good. How expensive? But what's the point of applying ceramic on top of it?

Attachments

• 20210320_124757_resized.jpg
    20210320_124757_resized.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: Peteski and Durzel
Did you honestly look as closely at them as you did with the Tesla?
Our local Porsche dealership was quite well known for adding swirl marks on routine service cleans (more discerning customers generally ask them NOT to clean their cars). They also make plenty of money from offering 3rd party ceramic coatings, polishings etc which don't come as standard on brand new £100k+ cars. Much further down the food-chain my wife's brand new Nissan came with loads of swirl marks inflicted by their on-site new car prep.

I solved the whole swirl issue by just buying white cars!
I will do, i haven’t got my Tesla yet.

The PPF protects against penetrating bug juices and small projectiles as well as minor scratches and being keyed.
Ceramic provides light protection as well as a permanent candy-gloss shine.
I paid $1700 to cover mirrors and everything forward of them.

Sample pricing
Ah I see you are US based, so pricing probably not very relevant over here (UK sub-forum). Whenever I've looked at PPF over here it has always looked very pricey.