Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor quality control on the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why Tesla doesn't have a team that takes cars as they roll off the production line and looks for QC issues and corrects them on the spot. The advantage would be that repetitive issues could be noted and fed right away in the production line.

The prep teams at the delivery centers should just be handling issues that have occurred during transport.

I don't understand why Tesla doesn't have a team that takes cars as they roll off the production line and looks for QC issues and corrects them on the spot. The advantage would be that repetitive issues could be noted and fed right away in the production line.

The prep teams at the delivery centers should just be handling issues that have occurred during transport.
I think its cheaper for them to see if they can get away with it all lol

I think its cheaper for them to see if they can get away with it all lol
No doubt this plays a big part - my suggestions are obvious and they haven't implemented them so its clear they think it is good enough.

Still - some of the stuff in the OPs video would be objectionable to just about every car buyer. Dirt on the headliner? That seems to be pretty common, and how is it the prep team misses it?

The door alignment issue - that's a problem that needs to be corrected before delivery.

Some of the other stuff - the nicks, and scratches? I think there are some buyers that won't notice or care about those, and they'll just play the wait and see game.

Reactions: cwerdna
As a new Tesla Model Y owner since March 2021, I agreed Tesla lacks QA and SC tech lacks training. The second row seat of my car was stuck and not moveable. It is fixed after two visits and a week without my new car. The repair left a small deep scratch by the door entry and I have to schedule another visit to fix it.

I think the moral of the story is to inspect the car upon delivery, that's it. If you don't, then this is on you I'm afraid. You can't buy a Tesla (or any brand new car) without giving it a thorough inspection. Sucks this happened.
Yes, I 100% agree with you, but as a pending Tesla owner I see more and more things that I need to look out for. In a way this is a good thing - a better idea of what the areas of concern are, but at the same time this list of items seems to be ever growing. Are all of these areas called out on the delivery inspection checklist? (I mean that as a genuine curiosity - most of these items would bother me but may not easily be captured at pickup)

Last edited:
I think the moral of the story is to inspect the car upon delivery, that's it. If you don't, then this is on you I'm afraid. You can't buy a Tesla (or any brand new car) without giving it a thorough inspection. Sucks this happened.
While I do agree (and had a complete two page checklist when I went through mine) I never had to do that with any other car brand.

Of course I found issues with mine, the most notable one in the pic......and yea mobile service took care of it so good on those guys. Owning so many used cars, one gets pretty good at thorough inspections. But I also realize the majority of people shouldn’t have to do this when buying brand new cars.

It’s basically doing a used-car multipoint inspection on a new car. If anything, it gives the Tesla-haters more mud to sling. Tesla can, and hopefully will, do better.

Attachments

• A7772EF5-7C49-447A-A332-16FBE1450A93.jpeg
    A7772EF5-7C49-447A-A332-16FBE1450A93.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 621
Like any car you buy. Take your time inspecting it. The minute you drive off, it’s yours to own. Including the defects. I declined my delivery because there were significant discoloration on the driver side door. Back of the line I go, but it’s worth the wait. You won’t be able to look pass it once you’ve noticed it.

Reactions: z335is
While I do agree (and had a complete two page checklist when I went through mine) I never had to do that with any other car brand.

Of course I found issues with mine, the most notable one in the pic......and yea mobile service took care of it so good on those guys. Owning so many used cars, one gets pretty good at thorough inspections. But I also realize the majority of people shouldn’t have to do this when buying brand new cars.

It’s basically doing a used-car multipoint inspection on a new car. If anything, it gives the Tesla-haters more mud to sling. Tesla can, and hopefully will, do better.
Crazy. Tesla has been delivering cars with mis-matched trim for years and it still blows my mind. How do these cars leave the factory in this state?

Last edited:
They cant anymore for a majority of the items since it past the 100 mile grace period.
What is this 100 mile grace period and how does it work? Do we get 100 miles to inspect and report defects to be fixed free of charge?

This sounds good. I thought it was once we drive off the lot it's our problem other than warranty claims. Of course I couldn't get home and back to Tesla in under 100 miles. But at least I could inspect in at home on my own time and call them.