Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor radio reception after tint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As long as I can remember, my Model 3 always had poor radio reception. I'm in SoCal and most affected stations are 89.9 and 89.3. The higher # stations also cut out from time to time when going under bridges, big trucks driving next to me. I also got my tint pretty soon after picking it up. I think I had the radio reception problem before I tinted but it's been so long ago, I may be wrong.

I dropped off my car in for service and they replaced the antennae and the tuner. Same problem. They said they compared my car to those with the same level tint (I don't remember what my % is), and those cars also had the same problem. The cars without the tint did not exhibit the problem.

Their conclusion is that it's due to the tint, and they've actually been sending out emails to new Model 3 owners to not tint above 25%. The antennae is located in the left rear glass roof. Poor design, if you ask me, and definitely a flaw of the car.

My sister's Model 3 with the same tint does NOT have the problem.

I wanted to survey folks here who have tints and see if you have this problem? Please include the % of your tint.

I have to resort to using the internet radio, but because I ordered my car 3-4 days after the lifetime data deadline, I will be out of luck after it expires.

Antennas are kind of a black magic thing in electronics, lots of variables can affect them. I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of metal or other material in the tint film messed with the antenna. The old whip antennas on the fender may have worked better but I don't think anyone wants that.

As long as I can remember, my Model 3 always had poor radio reception. I'm in SoCal and most affected stations are 89.9 and 89.3. The higher # stations also cut out from time to time when going under bridges, big trucks driving next to me. I also got my tint pretty soon after picking it up. I think I had the radio reception problem before I tinted but it's been so long ago, I may be wrong.

I dropped off my car in for service and they replaced the antennae and the tuner. Same problem. They said they compared my car to those with the same level tint (I don't remember what my % is), and those cars also had the same problem. The cars without the tint did not exhibit the problem.

Their conclusion is that it's due to the tint, and they've actually been sending out emails to new Model 3 owners to not tint above 25%. The antennae is located in the left rear glass roof. Poor design, if you ask me, and definitely a flaw of the car.

My sister's Model 3 with the same tint does NOT have the problem.

I wanted to survey folks here who have tints and see if you have this problem? Please include the % of your tint.

I have to resort to using the internet radio, but because I ordered my car 3-4 days after the lifetime data deadline, I will be out of luck after it expires.

30% no problem.

What does ceramic not do that my 3M crystalline 40% does?

And seriously, this car is not a Honda or a Toyota. It’s an expensive car that I paid over 60k for. Why does this car have so many issues?
I don't know I thought that was a ceramic tint. Are you sure they used the right tint?

Radio Waves & Window Tint | Diversity Auto Films

My guess is that you have some other issue.

I don’t know. Anyone here that does tinting can answer the second question?

Metallic tints can block radio waves.
Ceramic vs. Crystalline

Well that blows, I guess your going to have to re-tint. I would see if the shop will give you a discount on a re-do with another ceramic tint. Assuming they did a good job.

Or find a place that can do Photosync or Pinnacle (LLUMAR).

Looks like crystalline is not ceramic.
Indeed, then that could certainly be the issue.

I do know my tint person said the 3 cost more because he had to disassemble a bit in the back, so he could pack with towels to keep electronics dry. True or not, I do not know.

Metallic tint would cause problems. I don’t know if there is a good way to test for it. Perhaps an internet search.

Sorry I’m not more help. I find our 3 reasonable. I do not listen to anything below 90.5 if that matters.

My tint is formula one pinnacle ceramic.

Don’t use metallic tint in any car with modern electronics. Those are the cheap tints. 3M Crystalline is fine. The percent shouldn’t matter, and saying don’t tint above 25% would be backwards anyway. The % is light transmitted. 40% tint is lighter than 25% tint.

I have Tesla telling me that the three 3s in their shop with tints have the problem, and three 3s without tints don’t have the problem.

My sister’s and friend’s 3s with the same exact tint don’t have the problem.

You guys don’t have any problems.

Not sure what to do.