Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor ReCell Warranty Claim experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, it sucks that this has to be my first experience on the forum but I know no other Tesla owners who have changed their HV packs. Has anyone been denied a warranty claim and had their warranty voided on the same day they got a copy of the warranty for the first time? Tried to bring a claim against ReCell in Texas with consumer protection / attorney general's office or sue? I'm not scared of a judge putting them in their place but I do have an issue with the level of trust and reliability here and elsewhere towards ReCell. I really don't know what to do after I kept complaining to ReCell via email about the error codes I was getting for the first time since they delivered my car back, did everything they told me to do, then the owner tells me I didn't do it because I don't have receipts. I was never told I would be needing receipts or that I would void the warranty if I did not do what they said by a certain date.

As many on this forum know we are proud of our reputation for quality service and being customer focused. Forum members here and elsewhere can attest to that.

Moreover, for the mere handful of warranty claims that we’ve received to date, we’ve taken an unconditional no-questions asked approach to resolving battery pack issues – in fact, in several instances we have even offered performance and range upgrades when a pack has needed to be replaced. @islandbayy and others can attest to this.

Forum members also know that we are absolutely forthright when it comes to answering/resolving issues that forum members are having with their cars.

So, were a forum member to post the following errors, we feel absolutely confident in directing them to a Tesla service center or an accredited technician to diagnose and repair the 12V power supply - some combination of the 12V Battery, the DCDC converter or Main Fuse Block is clearly at fault in this situation.

GTW_w018_hvacLoadShed​

The low voltage (LV) system voltage has dropped below the expected levels while the vehicle is active. The DCDC should be on, and as a result, the vehicle will start to switch off loads to try and stabilize the 12V system to prevent the 12V battery from being discharged. The Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning (HVAC) rail is also being switched off.

DI_w127_gracefulPowerOff

The motor controller will assert this condition whenever any of the following alerts or controller area network (CAN) signals are present:
  • No Battery Power
  • GTW_notEnough12VforDrive

BMS_f033_SW_Crash
The Battery Management System (BMS) will trigger this alert when it senses a loss of contactor power while the contactors are closed. The BMS assumes that it could be because the pyro fuse on the contactor power supply signal blew during a crash.

BMS_f141_SW_12V_Pwr_Supply_Low

There is a contactor issue because of the low contactor power or the 12V battery has broken down.

BMS_f062_SW_Ctr_Pwr_Supply

The Battery Management System (BMS) has detected that there is a power supply issue with the contactor

Moreover, if a forum member were to experience these faults repeatedly - especially the loss of contactor power under load - we would let them know that it’s IMPERATIVE that they have these 12V supply issues diagnosed and repaired by a QUALIFIED technician to avoid causing potentially irreparable damage to their vehicle, more specifically to their drive unit and/or high voltage battery pack. As with the rest of their car, their drive unit and battery pack need a reliable and consistent source of 12V power in order to function properly and avoid malfunction.

Welcome others input on the above diagnosis

Last edited:
I cannot comment on Somiyah's specific instance, however I can comment on mine. This will be condensed.
Recell replaced the HV battery on an ancient Extremely Early production 2012 P85 for me. I picked up the vehicle in person, to drive back to Wisconsin. about 600 miles in, had an issue. Long story short, was able to make it to the Little Rock supercharger where the vehicle shut down. Vehicle (and me) got towed to the Memphis, TN Service center. Recell arranged for a car transporter to pickup the car, and I hopped a flight home.
It was a freak issue, not sure how, but a tiny bit of water got in the seal by the pyro fuse if I'm remembering correctly. Not much, but just, barely, enough to cause an isolation error to be thrown. The seal still pressure tested good, so chalking it up to a crazy fluke.
Response from Recell was amazing and quick, and threw out all the stops to do what they could to help. Pack was replaced, and car transporter delivered it back to me about a week later.

While the situation was far from ideal, they went above and beyond to help, and also made everything right. Very happy with the service so far. Now, if only the dang DMV would get me my plates!!!
I'd also like to report, that the battery currently in my 2012 P85, while it is an 85 battery, has more capacity than my 2016 90D.

A+ Service and I'd highly recommend Recell.

We should note as well that it’s not uncommon for cars to come in with drained or depleted 12V batteries – after several weeks of the high voltage battery being offline, the continuous current draw from the vehicle subsystems on the Model S can take a toll on the 12V battery. In most cases, it’s simply a matter of jumpstarting the vehicle, replacing the defective battery pack and allowing the 12V battery to be replenished by the new pack. In cases where the 12V battery shows evidence of aging or advanced wear and tear, we’ll either replace the 12V battery ourselves or repair what we can and advise the owner that they may need to have the 12V battery or defective part replaced at some point in the future. We aim to be as proactive as possible, repair what we can, without incurring unnecessary cost to the owner. We believe that's the right balance.

In one case for example, we had a vehicle come in where the 12V battery and main fuse block had been disconnected and hastily reassembled, and in the process, stripping the bolt attaching the cable from the DCDC and rendering the 12V system inoperative - including possible damage to the DCDC converter as a result of the faulty/loose connection. Despite these issues, we were eventually able to get the vehicle back online and operational, and then advised the owner to have either Tesla or a qualified technician look into the 12V system upon return of the car – to have them fully diagnose the 12V system, repair the previous damage to the Main Fuse Block and/or DCDC Converter and ensure their proper operation. Again, our goal is to repair what we can and be proactive as possible to ensure that there are no problems down the road.

Of course, there are times owners don’t always heed, or in some cases repeatedly ignore, our recommendations - at some point, the contract with customers goes both ways.

Last edited:
I tried posting but it didn't get approved by a mod

Thats because the post you are trying to submit has nothing to do with your actual situation, and looks like something generated by chatgtp or some other large language learning module ai application about legal proceedings. If you want to post your specific information, you can do so, but random text about legal process isnt informative.

It was the email I got back from the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation about this topic...

Your previous post didnt say that, though. There was no leading information to it at all.

In any case, here is that response you posted previously, which if it is an email to you from your submittal to Texas Consumer protection, says, basically "we do not oversee this, so your submittal will be closed, feel free to pursue this in other ways if you wish"

The Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation (the Department) has received your complaint against
Re/Cell. The Department does have jurisdiction over Electricians and Used Automotive Parts Recyclers.
However, the circumstances described in your complaint do not constitute a violation of those applicable
laws and rules. Therefore, your complaint will be closed without further investigation.
The incident described in your complaint is rather unfortunate; however, the Department does not have
jurisdiction when it comes to electronic vehicle batteries.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality office has an EV Battery Reuse and Recycling Advisory
Group. Information regarding their guidance and recommendation can be found at: [email protected]
or call 512-539-2335.
The Texas Attorney General’s office has jurisdiction over Consumer Complaints. Information regarding
their complaint process may be found at: File a Consumer Complaint | Office of the Attorney General
(texasattorneygeneral.gov)

The Department’s decision does not preclude you from pursuing your complaint through a private attorney
or municipal court in your jurisdiction.

@Somiyah your story is very hard to follow and lacking a whole bunch of detail.

You seem to be stating that @Recell has voided the warranty they gave you on a replacement HV pack. Is that true?

What I’m seeing is your car has errors very likely unrelated to the HV pack and you’re trying to get ReCell to cover them under the warranty they gave you for the pack.

@Somiyah your story is very hard to follow and lacking a whole bunch of detail.

You seem to be stating that @Recell has voided the warranty they gave you on a replacement HV pack. Is that true?

What I’m seeing is your car has errors very likely unrelated to the HV pack and you’re trying to get ReCell to cover them under the warranty they gave you for the pack.

@ucmndd , someone posted a similar set of errors earlier today. as you can see from the readout, all it takes is a qualified technician familiar with the basics of a 12V subsystem to resolve the issue…

Attachments

• D5F0F70E-E974-43F8-AB3C-D86395AC633C.jpeg
    D5F0F70E-E974-43F8-AB3C-D86395AC633C.jpeg
    477.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Reactions: kpanda17
@Somiyah, you have asked the community for assistance and everyone here is saying that there appears to be an issue with your 12V subsystem (which is completely separate from the high voltage battery pack). @ucmndd, for example, has already noted - just as we have repeatedly - that replacing the high voltage battery pack is unlikely to resolve the issues that you are having.

if you or anyone else viewing this thread is having *any* of the above errors your car needs to to be taken to a service center to have the 12V subsystem diagnosed and repaired. while it would certainly be better to have Tesla look at it - it doesn’t necessarily need to be a Tesla service center - a technician who has experience working with these 12V systems should be sufficient. it’s straightforward enough and a *qualified* technician should be able to get this resolved for you.

moreover, it is *imperative* that it be serviced as soon possible. if the contactors in your battery pack are being disconnected while under load (BMS_f033_SW_Crash) you risk damaging your high voltage system - everything from the battery pack, to the drive unit, to the charger, etc.

Last edited:
You need to go get the 12V subsystem serviced by someone. The 12V system is different from the HV system. There isnt any other feedback to get on this, here.
=========================

(moderator note)

I wanted to post a bit of explanation on why this thread is now locked.

It is true that Recell is a vendor here, but that has no bearing on whether a thread gets locked, or what decisions are made about thread activity. We allow feedback, both positive and negative, as anyone who looks around TMC will readily see, and vendor status does not give a vendor immunity from negative feedback.

With the above being said, when its clear that a specific issue is between a specific individual and a vendor, on a difference of opinion or specific warranty coverage (or not) on a specific situation, once its clear that the situation is that, there isnt any other reason to have a personal issue debated in public.

In this case, its fairly clear that the OP of this thread created this thread to provide feedback on an interaction they had with Recell, and has provided that feedback. Its also clear that there is a dispute on what the OP thinks should be covered for work that was done, vs what recell sees as the current technical issue.

The OP needs to pursue whatever avenue they think they need to pursue on this, but it is between them and recell. There isnt any other feedback that can be provided on this site, and the only reason to leave it open at this point is to try to use social media pressure for a private issue.

I am not going to delete the thread, as it provides feedback, but there isnt any reason for it to remain open at this point either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.