Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor regen when reversing

JPWhite

Jun 2, 2012
Hendersonville TN
Don't be daft. I have to start the car rolling off the rear pad and as I head down the driveway where the grade increases the car speed picks up despite the fact my foot is by now off the accelerator.

Have you actually driven the model 3? If you back off the accelerator when driving it slows down rapidly almost to a stop, in forward gear. One pedal driving does involve braking with the accelerator.

Need

Nov 22, 2017
SoCal
That's disappointing. Makes the car harder to control in reverse requiring you brake vs backing off the accelerator.

Try parallel park on a hill, it is even more difficult to control. That's why I have creep on. On reverse, or slow moving (like parking), it is still one pedal driving.. just the brake pedal instead of the accel pedal.

seyclone

May 8, 2018
NY
There is no regen in reverse, butt there's a handy control right next to the accelerator. It's called a brake. use it to slow down as you back down the driveway.

Reactions: KerryOH

jdcollins5

Aug 14, 2018
Wilmington, NC
I have recently turned Creep off. I back out of a long, level driveway. After reading this thread I tried taking my foot off of the accelerator and it slowed very quickly. It sure felt like regen to me.

Reactions: Jaywlker

Randy7fx

Jul 21, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Don't be daft. I have to start the car rolling off the rear pad and as I head down the driveway where the grade increases the car speed picks up despite the fact my foot is by now off the accelerator.

Have you actually driven the model 3? If you back off the accelerator when driving it slows down rapidly almost to a stop, in forward gear. One pedal driving does involve braking with the accelerator.

Why not just use the brakes like every other call you have (presumably) backed down your driveway? If the car picks up speed when you don't want it to, that's on you as the driver to rectify, with the brakes. The fact that you are disappointed is also humorous to me. Just use the brakes and be good with the controlled descent. Are you disappointed that you have to use the brakes when driving the car and are in need of stopping quicker than what regen will do by itself? Not even sure how this is a real post...

golfpilot

Oct 14, 2016
Modesto, CA
You could also back into your garage and roll forward out. I started backing into my garage about 2 months ago. After a week or two you get used to it. It’s a lot easier to back into a garage than back into a street (even a not very busy one)

Reactions: Big Earl

Cikerd

Nov 22, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
I know this is an older post, but I understand completely what JPWhite is saying. When in reverse out of my driveway (which is actually flat), if I have regen braking on and release the accelerator, the car comes to a stop as if brakes are being applied. Is that not what regen braking does? Look I'm brand new to this car so maybe its that there is no inertial rolling like with combustion cars, but reverse is the one time I wish it wouldn't just stop. Is creep the best way to accomplish that? Is there any way to have creep only on reverse because I like the brake hold at red lights and stuff.

Just took delivery of my M3 two days ago so thanks for the forum everyone! It's been a huge help to a newbie here!

docdeb27

M3 LR AWD Pearl White Prem Int.
Aug 16, 2018
SHOREHAM
Going backwards down my driveway, the car immediately stops, almost too abruptly when I remove my foot from the accelerator. Works perfectly.

WesB

Jul 24, 2019
Montreal, QC
If you use the new hold mode, the car will come to a stop even when going downhill in reverse. If you don't want that just take it off of hold mode and it will roll down.

Reactions: JasonR67

Needsdecaf

Dec 16, 2018
The Woodlands, TX
I know this is an older post, but I understand completely what JPWhite is saying. When in reverse out of my driveway (which is actually flat), if I have regen braking on and release the accelerator, the car comes to a stop as if brakes are being applied. Is that not what regen braking does? Look I'm brand new to this car so maybe its that there is no inertial rolling like with combustion cars, but reverse is the one time I wish it wouldn't just stop. Is creep the best way to accomplish that? Is there any way to have creep only on reverse because I like the brake hold at red lights and stuff.

Just took delivery of my M3 two days ago so thanks for the forum everyone! It's been a huge help to a newbie here!

Put it in Roll mode, not hold. Hold applies reverse torque at low speeds to slow you. Roll mode does not. At these speeds, there isn't enough regen to significantly slow the car, hence the reverse torque application.

JPWhite

Jun 2, 2012
Hendersonville TN
The new one pedal driving option in a recent firmware update has taken care of this issue. Now feathering the accelerator does exactly what I want going down the drive.

Good job Tesla.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC