Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor service from OA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity - what are your questions related to?

DS's (NOT defending them necessarily, I have had good, OK and down right UGLY service from DS's over my 3 deliveries) tend to be overwhelmed with EVERY purchaser's inquiries - please realize that they deal with all of the deliveries for an area that ALL of the OA's AND individuals who did NOT use an OA and just ordered on line - so they get overwhelmed. They also don't always have details - I know this as during my last delivery I became friendly with the regional supervisor and learned how little information they have from the factory - frankly it is kind of sad that corporate does not let you track your vehicle along the assembly line like some others do - particularly for a high-tech company like Tesla.

OA's are great when it comes to features and how things work, but again, they have access to even less data about your order.

Just not sure what you are hunting for, you may be just like every new, excited Tesla owner who is used to the instant gratification world we all live in - get ready to be disappointed in that, until you get your Tesla then I say good luck wiping the smile off of your face!

Good luck.

Respectfully, I don't agree with that last sentiment the experience gets better with delivery. I had same experience as OP when we bought the car. Frankly, perhaps we should have been more cautious from the get go and not as whimsical but we had a fantastic salesperson who really sold the car and lifestyle.

Again, this is just my experience but the wow factor and honeymoon wears of VERY quickly when you get delivered a dysfunctional vehicle with none of the features that you were used to (automatic wipers, blue tooth, interior quality) are present and the ones you were looking forward to ie internet don't work.

Also it appears you had one of your cars bought back in your signature so perhaps you were victim to what may happen to ours? Was that experience better? Thanks.

Out of curiosity - what are your questions related to?

He offered me a car that was being completed at end of June with almost the same spec as mine. I said no, went home had a think about it then emailed him 2 days later to ask if it was still available. Simple yes / no answer. That was the main question.

The other was about full self driving.

I understand being busy - but to simply not reply to more than one email and text message isn’t really acceptable for someone that is in a customer service role. Especially as leading up to the sale he clearly had enough time to respond to questions within minutes. Once my deposit was paid - he disappeared off the face of the earth.

It won’t affect the enjoyment of the vehicle but it’s not something that has happened in any other car buying experience I have been through.

Respectfully, I don't agree with that last sentiment the experience gets better with delivery. I had same experience as OP when we bought the car. Frankly, perhaps we should have been more cautious from the get go and not as whimsical but we had a fantastic salesperson who really sold the car and lifestyle.

Again, this is just my experience but the wow factor and honeymoon wears of VERY quickly when you get delivered a dysfunctional vehicle with none of the features that you were used to (automatic wipers, blue tooth, interior quality) are present and the ones you were looking forward to ie internet don't work.

Also it appears you had one of your cars bought back in your signature so perhaps you were victim to what may happen to ours? Was that experience better? Thanks.

I don't blame you. If that was my first experience, I'd be unhappy too. I haven't received mine yet, but I'm really hoping it doesn't end up going that way. Hopefully, I have a good SC and they take care of me. One of the reasons I was okay with buying it is that the SC in Austin is 10 miles from my house, so I don't mind going often if necessary, especially if they have loaners for me.

If they don't have loaners for me ... well I'll be pissed.

He offered me a car that was being completed at end of June with almost the same spec as mine. I said no, went home had a think about it then emailed him 2 days later to ask if it was still available. Simple yes / no answer. That was the main question.

I understand being busy - but to simply not reply to more than one email and text message isn’t really acceptable for someone that is in a customer service role. Especially as leading up to the sale he clearly had enough time to respond to questions within minutes. Once my deposit was paid - he disappeared off the face of the earth.

It won’t affect the enjoyment of the vehicle but it’s not something that has happened in any other car buying experience I have been through.

I think it is because your questions would produce answers that you won't like, so they both avoid returning your call.

1) Once you put down the $2500 deposit, you can't change your order. I think they need $1000 to change your order even if it is to another car almost identical.

2) FSD does not exist yet. So whatever your question is, they really won't have a real answer unless it is just about the price. Rather then telling you "we don't know yet" they just decided to delay answering your question hoping you will find someone else to do it.

They probably just don't want to be the bad news bear.

I think it is because your questions would produce answers that you won't like, so they both avoid returning your call.

1) Once you put down the $2500 deposit, you can't change your order. I think they need $1000 to change your order even if it is to another car almost identical.

2) FSD does not exist yet. So whatever your question is, they really won't have a real answer unless it is just about the price. Rather then telling you "we don't know yet" they just decided to delay answering your question hoping you will find someone else to do it.

They probably just don't want to be the bad news bear.

So - it’s ok for someone in a customer service / sales role to ignore questions from a paying customer?

The first question is hardly contentious is it? Is the car still available - yes / no. If that’s considered a difficult one for a car salesman to get back to the customer on then I am at a loss for words

Sorry @Radonculous - I haven't written up the entire experience but my first X was bought back because it was wrecked but the SC's detailer while have the small things from delivery fixed. Tesla immediately (that day) stepped up and said they were ordering me a new vehicle to replace mine, put me into a loaner for the duration. There were plenty of things that did not go smoothly during the process but I am very satisfied.

This is my 2nd (3rd) Tesla - I leased my first to give myself time to decide if the lifestyle fit me, the road trips, the vehicle, etc. and I was BEYOND satisfied with the vehicle and able to live the lifestyle.

Now that is just me (and I venture to say the overwhelming majority of Tesla owners since the vehicles have the highest customer satisfaction ratings of all of the car companies) and you may be different, which you are welcome to be.

Dysfunctional vehicles is a problem - and if you have one I trust you are dealing with it or at least trying to. I have bluetooth, automatic wipers and my interior quality is the same as the demo vehicle I looked at - not sure what is wrong with yours.

At the same time, I have to say I am sorry you blame someone else for your decision to spend at or above $100k (I spent in excess of $150k). I took my time researching vehicles, doing a cost-benefit analysis (including gas, maintenance, and, frankly the value of my time going to gas stations constantly) and I weighed the risk of buying from such a young company. I leased my first one to make sure I liked the vehicle (took an X on a 3-day test drive - they will let you do that) and had my family try it out before changing from an S.

It was only after I was satisfied that this was the right vehicle for me that I agreed to spend this stupid amount of $$$ on a vehicle.

I wish you luck with your car and if you are not getting the service you think you deserve go up the chain of command to the Regional Service Director - I had to during the replacement of my X and he is a very helpful guy (he's HQ'd out of Atlanta).

But don't blame Tesla, or the OA for your purchase, it is your money and your responsibility to spend it, not theirs.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and X Fan

Wow - that is a bad salesman. Big mistake on his end (a lot of these guys do get commissions).

If you need a good OA (they can operate from anywhere in the country and order for you - you don't even need one to order) let me know (DM me) - the guys I worked with were fabulous, went to battle for me to get things done right during the replacement and I still chat with them from time to time. They even had some prospective buyers reach out to me with questions who then used my referral code so I got some shwag out of the deal!

Good luck!

What does your order page say?

I’m sure it provides the DS who is responsible for post order delivery process.

FWIW: in the States, they’re delivering a very significant # of vehicles at the end of the quarter.

I’m sure that if you contact the person on your order page that you’ll get a response despite their heavy load (it might be next day though).

As an FYI, I have my third Tesla scheduled for delivery this week (2nd X and 3 was for my son) and in each case I’ve been able to interact satisfactorily with my assigned Tesla representative (of course, since I’m retired and no longer “in charge” I give them some wiggle room to provide a response to my queries).

Naturally, style matters when you’re approaching folks who are stressed so that’s the only piece of advice I’ll offer. Be nice.

Btw: in the X, Tesla makes a technologically superb vehicle. Driving, visibility, screen, constant updates to name a few are industry best.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Wow - that is a bad salesman. Big mistake on his end (a lot of these guys do get commissions).

If you need a good OA (they can operate from anywhere in the country and order for you - you don't even need one to order) let me know (DM me) - the guys I worked with were fabulous, went to battle for me to get things done right during the replacement and I still chat with them from time to time. They even had some prospective buyers reach out to me with questions who then used my referral code so I got some shwag out of the deal!

Good luck!
Thanks for the offer of the OA connection, will let you know.

Honestly I’m really far from a high maintenance customer (despite my post!). Like probably the majority of people on this forum, I have clients I need to service and was a little surprised at the lack of response.

Looking forward to picking up and enjoying the X once it arrives.

I took my time researching vehicles, doing a cost-benefit analysis (including gas, maintenance, and, frankly the value of my time going to gas stations constantly) and I weighed the risk of buying from such a young company. I leased my first one to make sure I liked the vehicle (took an X on a 3-day test drive - they will let you do that) and had my family try it out before changing from an S.

It was only after I was satisfied that this was the right vehicle for me that I agreed to spend this stupid amount of $$$ on a vehicle.

You know I should have done that. I took it home for an evening to drive it around to see how it worked at night, but I loved it from the beginning and my kids did too. I didn't take my wife around in it because she didn't like the new car smell and got sick when riding an S. I should probably take her around in it to make sure she doesn't get too sick. If she does, I may just have to back out, since this is the family vehicle. I don't have a 14-50 at home though, so I'd have to charge it from a standard outlet. Electrician comes out in a few weeks, so maybe that's a reason to have it done sooner and try to get the car for a more prolonged period of time. Good idea, thanks!

You know I should have done that. I took it home for an evening to drive it around to see how it worked at night, but I loved it from the beginning and my kids did too. I didn't take my wife around in it because she didn't like the new car smell and got sick when riding an S. I should probably take her around in it to make sure she doesn't get too sick. If she does, I may just have to back out, since this is the family vehicle. I don't have a 14-50 at home though, so I'd have to charge it from a standard outlet. Electrician comes out in a few weeks, so maybe that's a reason to have it done sooner and try to get the car for a more prolonged period of time. Good idea, thanks!
If there are Superchargers near you or other forms to charge (you’re in Austin so there should be plenty) you won’t have a problem on a long test drive. Remember, the 90% on a 100D is over 250 miles...that’s a lot of local driving...

Good luck.

Thanks for the offer of the OA connection, will let you know.

Honestly I’m really far from a high maintenance customer (despite my post!). Like probably the majority of people on this forum, I have clients I need to service and was a little surprised at the lack of response.

Looking forward to picking up and enjoying the X once it arrives.
I couldn’t agree with you more. It always amazes me how poor customer service has become in this day and age (boy do I sound like an old man ). The OA you reached out for is a fool, but they are sales guys. When I bought my wife’s Audi I went to the sales guy we had dealt with on her previous purchase - and he was kind of flippant towards me when I was looking at a Porsche in the same dealership - unhelpful and non-responsive (I had already bought one vehicle from him). That’s why I ended up with a Tesla - the OA was diligent with me and gave me one for 3 days to try out - that’s when I got the S over a Panamera S (I feel fortunate it happened that way frankly). Ironically, I went back to him again when my wife wanted a new S5 cabriolet this year - he kinda gave me a take or leave it treatment and I went to another dealer who did the deal.

Sometimes people are just fools.

Good luck, let me know if you want my guy’s info - I am sure he’d be willing just to take your call - he’s that pleasant to work with.