Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying for three weeks to get an appointment for service for my new S (also my 3rd) and unable to determine if a loaner or rental car is available. I live 60 miles away. Four requests thru the Tesla App and voicemails to the service center. Sad how poor the customer service platform is for owners, it will undermine the brand and push buyers to future competition. Elon should be embarrassed!

You're asking for something they can't/won't provide. There is no guarantee of a loaner. Even if you get hold of someone and they tell you they can guarantee one, they're lying to get you off the phone.

Schedule an appointment in the app for first thing in the morning and hope for the best, plan for the worst. As a new Model S owner you've got a pretty good shot at them at least trying to take care of you when you get there.

Welcome to Tesla! ;)

I had some work done on my car: I told them I was going to wait. Sure enough, they had the car ready that day, albeit it was a long day. My wifey came by and picked me up, and then we returned later. but we live 50 miles (used to be 115) from a Tesla service shop/dealer. I always try to get them to do any work same day, otherwise, it sits a week in the back lot, for what reason I know not.

On another occasion they had to order a steering part, and I can't fault them for not carrying every part ever made. It was shipped a hundred miles from another dealer. All taken care of under warranty with a loaner, but I hated the loaner. POS.

Reactions: rayraynyc
I had some work done on my car: I told them I was going to wait. Sure enough, they had the car ready that day, albeit it was a long day. My wifey came by and picked me up, and then we returned later. but we live 50 miles (used to be 115) from a Tesla service shop/dealer. I always try to get them to do any work same day, otherwise, it sits a week in the back lot, for what reason I know not.

On another occasion they had to order a steering part, and I can't fault them for not carrying every part ever made. It was shipped a hundred miles from another dealer. All taken care of under warranty with a loaner, but I hated the loaner. POS.
Oh but how can this be true when you’ve been peddling the “my car has never visited the service center” bullsh** in all the Tesla reliability threads?

The charger unit on my 2018 Model S stopped working. I tried for 3 days to get someone to help me make an appointment at our nearby Tesla service facility. Finally I just wrote a message on the app and told the facility I was coming that day. I dropped the car off. They gave me a 2015 S as a loaner that was in terrible condition, including dents and instrument cluster screen that kept going black. I heard nothing from the service center for 4 days, in spite of leaving many messages. Finally I heard back that there were 50 cars ahead of mine and only 2 technicians. The repair work was well done. But the facility was horrendous. Peeling paint, scuffs on the walls, and a reception area with only one dim ceiling light and just one representative. I’ve had a great experience with my Model S, but I’m so disillusioned by such poor customer care that I’ve decided to get rid of it. I’m trying to find a Prius Prime until such time as electric car companies up their game. Tesla used to have great customer service. What happened? Have others had terrible experiences with service centers?

I might get a lot of hate comments for posting this on this forum but my experience with tesla customer service has been really bad. If there was another company which would made a similar or better car (someday someone will) i would not recommend Tesla. Once you buy the car from them they do not care how bad they treat you. right from getting an appointment from service to actual service or ordering accessories from Tesla shop they had bee plain bad. I had to put it out there. if someone else same feeling as me they would understand.

• Funny
Reactions: kg7jo-
I have been trying for three weeks to get an appointment for service for my new S (also my 3rd) and unable to determine if a loaner or rental car is available. I live 60 miles away. Four requests thru the Tesla App and voicemails to the service center. Sad how poor the customer service platform is for owners, it will undermine the brand and push buyers to future competition. Elon should be embarrassed!
i completely agree with Tesla poor customer service. The company is currently riding on the initial success. soon enough the market will be flooded with EVs and given Tesla and Elon's arrogant attitude for their customer after you have bought the car the company will have hard time competing. Elon keeps on saying that the car do not need service but it is isnt true. its a moving thing and it is going to breakdown sometime. less often - sure

• Funny
Reactions: kg7jo-
My experience is the polar opposite of yours, thankfully. I have had nothing but great service from Tesla. From initial ordering of my car to booking Rangers to ordering many items from the store. Sorry to hear your experience wasn't good.

I've had perfectly fine customer service from Tesla. It's your first day on the site and you've now had two posts, both basically complaining about it but with no context or details. Is it your assertion that Tesla only has bad service and your stated experience matches everyone else's?

i completely agree with Tesla poor customer service. The company is currently riding on the initial success. soon enough the market will be flooded with EVs and given Tesla and Elon's arrogant attitude for their customer after you have bought the car the company will have hard time competing.
Definitely. Any year now. Real Soon.

I’ve been reading some version of this comment here for over 5 years now.

Dealt twice with service since I bought it 20 days ago. Service was quick, polite and helpful. Before purchase, my SA was nowhere to be found and always late to return email. Twice when we went to the store, even for making the transaction, he was not available, although we had an appointment. We were served by somebody else there. So, me before sale service was lousy, after sale service is great. Bought from the store twice. Items was received ahead of scheduled delivery date so can't complain there either.

I've just got back home after asking my wife to drive me through rush hour traffic to the Tesla Service Department to pick up my Model S at the time indicated on the app, only to be turned away because the work was not complete and they would have to keep the car overnight!!!
I then rang them and asked how I was meant to know what time to go over and pick the car up if the information on the app was not correct.
Previously I had called them to ask about the time to pick up the car and they said "Watch the app and come when it tells you".
Now I don't know what time to come tomorrow.
Do I trust the app again?
Do I phone? (I must say that they now actually have a phone number for service and they do answer it eventually!)
I know that Tesla is famous for its lousy customer service, but it is such a great car that I just have to put up with this behaviour whenever I take it in.
I wish there were some way I could be compensated for all the time and aggro that I suffer when dealing with them!!

I've just got back home after asking my wife to drive me through rush hour traffic to the Tesla Service Department to pick up my Model S at the time indicated on the app, only to be turned away because the work was not complete and they would have to keep the car overnight!!!
I then rang them and asked how I was meant to know what time to go over and pick the car up if the information on the app was not correct.
Previously I had called them to ask about the time to pick up the car and they said "Watch the app and come when it tells you".
Now I don't know what time to come tomorrow.
Do I trust the app again?
Do I phone? (I must say that they now actually have a phone number for service and they do answer it eventually!)
I know that Tesla is famous for its lousy customer service, but it is such a great car that I just have to put up with this behaviour whenever I take it in.
I wish there were some way I could be compensated for all the time and aggro that I suffer when dealing with them!!
When the work is complete the app will tell you very clearly. The service status will say “ready for pickup” or similar. Any time presented before that is just an estimate.

When the work is complete the app will tell you very clearly. The service status will say “ready for pickup” or similar. Any time presented before that is just an estimate.
Unfortunately the app doesn't work when the software is being upgraded.
Now they are telling me (by phone) that the upgrade will not be finished until 5:00 p.m. today 32 hours after I dropped it in. Apparently the problem is that the software is very slow in downloading! I must say that taking more than 24 hours to download a software upgrade does seem very strange to me. They must have a very slow Internet connection.
Unfortunately this has been par for the course for me in my dealings with Tesla Service. They don't care that I have a business to run and need to at least have a reasonable estimate of how long they are going to take.

i always tell persons inquiring about buying/owning a Tesla: If your level of standard is the same level of customer service as say, Nordstroms, 4 seasons, Amazon? Tesla is NOT for you
I tell them if their customer service standard is Comcast, free clinic or the DMV, they’ll be quite disappointed because Tesla’s is worse.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: 2101Guy and Barry
It is really hit and miss. I think they suffer from growth; too many new technicians. I have had wonderful experiences with service, and then some headscratchers. My latest; took the car in for obvious air suspension issues. You could clearly hear the air leaking out of the system somewhere. And it was replicable, it happened every single time I used the car. It sounded like a tire losing air, but it was the air suspension.

Took it in, described the problem. A day later, the technician noted that the air suspension worked fine, but the air compressor might be failing. Charged me over $100 for that diagnoses. Huh? It wasn't clear the technician even looked at the problem.

I talked to the Service Advisor, who agreed that the notes didn't make any sense. So they looked again, and found a hose that needed to be replaced. Not sure if it was the same technician, or not.

Things like this happen, but they shouldn't.

The real solution is competition. My car is out of warranty, so if I could have taken it somewhere else, I would have. I just don't know anyone else who works on Tesla's, yet.

I haven't really had too much of an issue with Tesla's service. Maybe my standards are too low.

I make an appointment, it's generally not moved too much, and they handle the execution of service well. But this could be that my local Service Center is just above their overall average. With that said, I don't have kids - so Uber credits have been fine for me....I also haven't had to deal with collision repair. I could see how both of those would be very irritating to deal with.

My big gripe is on the PARTS standpoint. I can go walk in to the Volvo dealership and get any part I want for my wife's XC90.....but for Tesla, I send an email and wait 3 weeks to be told it's out of stock. Only other option is to scour ebay for used parts. That, to me, is absolutely beyond unacceptable for "the most valuable automotive company on the planet."