Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor side mirrors coverage... found a way to eliminate blindspots...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned my rear camera on!

On multi-lane highway, it really helps since the camera has wide-angled lens.
What would be awesome is if Tesla could stitch both the side cameras views to give us 180° coverage.

I wonder if having the rear camera constantly on would demand a higher power consumption since the system would have to constantly refresh the view when driving. If yes, is this power demand going to significantly reduce my range?

Can someone with some more smarts than me chime in on this,?

It’s very possible to adjust your side mirrors to eliminate blind spots.

But yes, Tesla’s have had the ability to use the rear camera while driving since the original S (not sure about the Roadster). I wouldn’t be too concerned about energy usage - autopilot is using that camera anyway, as is the dash cam if you have it enabled. I’m betting the energy requirements to display it on the screen are negligible.

I wonder if having the rear camera constantly on would demand a higher power consumption since the system would have to constantly refresh the view when driving
No. Camera power requirement is trivial.

S/X owners have been leaving the rear view camera on the center display for many years now. Very convenient, and the nav display is still visible, since the S/X screen is larger and is oriented in portrait mode. With the Model 3, when you turn on the rear camera view the nav display isn’t usable due to the smaller display and being in landscape mode.

I turned my rear camera on!

On multi-lane highway, it really helps since the camera has wide-angled lens.
What would be awesome is if Tesla could stitch both the side cameras views to give us 180° coverage.

I wonder if having the rear camera constantly on would demand a higher power consumption since the system would have to constantly refresh the view when driving. If yes, is this power demand going to significantly reduce my range?

Can someone with some more smarts than me chime in on this,?

You might try

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic

S/X owners have been leaving the rear view camera on the center display for many years now. Very convenient, and the nav display is still visible, since the S/X screen is larger and is oriented in portrait mode. With the Model 3, when you turn on the rear camera view the nav display isn’t usable due to the smaller display and being in landscape mode.
It has been suggested that the rear cam window be scaled down to fit in the Cards area as an always on option. Great idea for use of touchscreen space otherwise wasted most of the time.

Yes, that a bummer.no dual views possible.

The SUMA mirrors transformed the model 3 driving experience for me. Could never adjust the driver’s side mirror wide enough to eliminate the blind spot, now it’s no issue at all. Didn’t realize how much mental effort I put into lane changes until the SUMA mirrors cured the problem. I have no relationship with the company, but it is by far the best aftermarket purchase I’ve made for my Tesla.

My only complaint is I can loosen the driver’s side mirror if I adjust it to the limit “out and up”, fortunately that is unnecessary

Could never adjust the driver’s side mirror wide enough to eliminate the blind spot, now it’s no issue at all.
I can only relate my own experience: I find it easy to adjust the Tesla side mirrors (and the mirrors on other cars I have owned over the years) to eliminate blind spots. The key is to realize that you don’t need to see the side of your own car in the mirrors. Set the mirrors slightly wider and you will be able to see the blind spot. You can check that by noting that, with the mirrors set correctly, you can start see a vehicle next to you in your peripheral vision (assuming yours is not compromised by a medical condition) before you lose sight of it in your mirrors. There will be an overlap.

That said, the Auto Pilot display area on the left side of the center display — which is always on — does a very good job of showing vehicles in your rear quarter areas. I’ve never seen that display miss a vehicle if it was there. And that is done primarily with the car’s cameras, not with the ultrasonics.

In my experience using Auto Lane Change, over the past several months, my car has never initiated a lane change into another vehicle in an adjacent lane. In fact my car is almost overly cautious when it detects a car in an adjacent lane that is gaining on me; it sometimes starts to make the lane change, crosses the divider line part way and then returns to its lane.

As Auto Pilot continues to improve (and based on my 5 years of experience, it certainly will) I predict that Tesla drivers will become increasingly confident in the system and use their side mirrors less. I still check mine before initiating a lane change, Auto or otherwise, and I turn my head just slightly to confirm, but I find Auto Lane Change works extremely well right now. It’s not perfect: but neither am I. ;)

There is one situation that Auto Pilot is not yet really good at, and neither are human drivers: when you are changing lanes and a vehicle that is in the lane adjacent to the lane you are changing into decides to change lanes towards you, into the same lane you are moving into and that vehicle’s driver does not notice you are also changing lanes toward them. In that situation Auto Pilot may react in time to avoid a collision, but I don’t let it get that far; I abort the lane change since I am also monitoring the lane change.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
It must be a seating position, arm length, and torso height thing. I tend to adjust my driver’s seat low and a bit rearward. I assure you it is impossible to eliminate the driver’s side blind spot with the standard driver’s side mirror from my preferred seating position.

I don’t doubt that some, maybe most, people can eliminate their driver’s side blind spot. But not all of us can.

Reactions: Skellington
Thanks for the video link Bill.
I'm aware of how to set both side mirrors, but they are not convex enough like my other cars and I stumbled on this method and it does provide an alternative. Give it a try.
I have always observed the principle described in the video but I have found the available range of adjustment on my M3 insufficient to do this. The mirrors are also mounted further back relative to the driving seat than they were on my eGolf.

I have always observed the principle described in the video but I have found the available range of adjustment on my M3 insufficient to do this. The mirrors are also mounted further back relative to the driving seat than they were on my eGolf.

I have the same problem - the mirror does not tilt out far enough for me so I still have a blind spot. I ended up buying one of those circular blind spot mirrors.

I think it would be helpful if the appropriate side camera was displayed on the screen when you use your signal.

Reactions: Cogarch
I got the SUMA mirrors also; I know how to adjust mirrors but the 3's mirrors won't move out enough to give me the view I want given my distance from the steering wheel. First few seconds of the new mirror glass took adjust but now I really appreciate the wider view