Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor video playback experience on V10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the install notification today and was excited to start playing around with the theater mode but so far it hasn't been going so well. Has anyone else had the following issues with video on V10?

NOTE: I tested all of these things in Netflix, YouTube, and Plex (purposefully selecting a very low bitrate to see if it was a performance issue)

- Audio lags behind the video pretty significantly. Mouths do not match up with what's being said at all. It's about a half second off.
- Videos drop frames very regularly, regardless of what quality is selected.
- In certain areas of the UI, taps are not registered or registered incorrectly. Easy example: scroll down on the main Netflix page to the section with the tall menu options (there are several video icons/thumbnails in a row, but each one has a more vertical format as opposed to the normal horizontal one you normally see). Tapping on the leftmost one will start the preview video playing for a split second but then it just goes back to where it was. Trying to double tap it will select the option in the middle of the screen. I noticed similar behavior in a few areas of the Plex UI as well (however I realize that it's not really designed to be used so i can't fault them for that)

I have tried rebooting the MCU several times and it hasn't changed anything.

Reactions: tfraley
I haven't noticed the out of sync issue yet; I watched a YouTube video, at 360p/480p/720p. Can you watch
to see if it's obvious? Going to check it out myself in the future, too.

Ok, just ran through 6 different test videos on youtube. I did all of them in the car, and then repeated all of them on my laptop to compare. In the car, the audio was around 80-100ms late on all of them, and on my laptop it was damn close to zero. I also took a video of it in the car and i'm going to load that up in premier to see how far off it shows the audio peak (however, that's assuming that my phone isn't introducing any latency in it's capture)

yeah I did some Netflix last night and the experience was not good. Lots of little audio pops where the lower frequencies then stop working for a few seconds. The audio also lagged behind the video by literally 2 seconds.

Just got the install notification today and was excited to start playing around with the theater mode but so far it hasn't been going so well. Has anyone else had the following issues with video on V10?

NOTE: I tested all of these things in Netflix, YouTube, and Plex (purposefully selecting a very low bitrate to see if it was a performance issue)

- Audio lags behind the video pretty significantly. Mouths do not match up with what's being said at all. It's about a half second off.
- Videos drop frames very regularly, regardless of what quality is selected.
- In certain areas of the UI, taps are not registered or registered incorrectly. Easy example: scroll down on the main Netflix page to the section with the tall menu options (there are several video icons/thumbnails in a row, but each one has a more vertical format as opposed to the normal horizontal one you normally see). Tapping on the leftmost one will start the preview video playing for a split second but then it just goes back to where it was. Trying to double tap it will select the option in the middle of the screen. I noticed similar behavior in a few areas of the Plex UI as well (however I realize that it's not really designed to be used so i can't fault them for that)

I have tried rebooting the MCU several times and it hasn't changed anything.
Are you on HW 2.5 or 3.0?

I'm on 3.0, and have had zero display issues. I do have frequent sound "pops" while watching YouTube, but Hulu and Netflix are fine.

Fairly positive it's HW3, was purchased 2 months ago. This was all on WiFi with a good signal. The issues happen even if i pick a very low resolution/bitrate video, so i don't think it's related to quality.

HW3 shouldn't be related to Netflix at all. The MCU should be handling all of the onscreen stuff not the AP computer. (Which is why people with AP2.0/AP2.5 with a MCU1 don't have Netflix.)

The backup camera frame-rate issues are all HW3-specific issues, though. HW2.5 has no such issue with the backup camera frame-rate.

That is because the backup camera goes to the AP computer first and is encoded and then passed to the MCU via the network. (Not how it works on the Model S&X.)

So yes, the AP computer will impact the backup camera but shouldn't impact the Netflix performance.

That is because the backup camera goes to the AP computer first and is encoded and then passed to the MCU via the network. (Not how it works on the Model S&X.)

So yes, the AP computer will impact the backup camera but shouldn't impact the Netflix performance.

Interesting. Either way, I see dropped frames in Netflix consistently, and as I've mentioned before - I bet most people don't even notice, despite grating on my eyeballs.

Interesting. Either way, I see dropped frames in Netflix consistently, and as I've mentioned before - I bet most people don't even notice, despite grating on my eyeballs.
Ah thats a very good point! I definitely have some major frame drop/hitching issues on the backup camera. Not enough to make it unusable or anything, but it's definitely noticeable/annoying.