Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor WiFi reception M3 - some findings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have awful WiFi reception in the M3. I have a upcoming service appointment and that's one of topics.

However, I recently moved my home WiFi router to middle of house for better overall coverage which moved it 9m further away from car (but still with direct line of sight). Every other device I own works well beyond the car.

It *seems* as though my car will never connect to 2.4Ghz. I say this as if I disable 5Ghz from router the car sees no network (I have same SSID for both frequencies). When it's enabled it sees it but has 1 bar and disconnects/reconnects slowly over and over.

However, I have a well regarded Netgear WiFi router and followed a suggestion to tell it I live in the US which opens up extra 5Ghz WiFi channels and blow me.. as soon as I did this and set it to channel 165 the car grabs onto the network with 2 bars and doesn't disconnect. I was previously on channel 48 which various WiFi analysers said was fine albeit with some neighbour contention.

I am convinced something is wrong re: 2.4Ghz but at least this helps me in the short term.

Maybe there is something useful here to someone else.

It's still likely to be uselessa all other places where 2.4Ghz the most likely frequency to connect to (longer range) - I hope my car has an antenna disconnect or similar to explain this.

The antenna is only in one of the side mirrors, which means if it’s furthest from the AP it’s the absolute worst position as the signal has to go through a couple of metres of metal.

Try turning the car so the other mirror faces the house and see what you get

Hi,

I have awful WiFi reception in the M3. I have a upcoming service appointment and that's one of topics.

However, I recently moved my home WiFi router to middle of house for better overall coverage which moved it 9m further away from car (but still with direct line of sight). Every other device I own works well beyond the car.

It *seems* as though my car will never connect to 2.4Ghz. I say this as if I disable 5Ghz from router the car sees no network (I have same SSID for both frequencies). When it's enabled it sees it but has 1 bar and disconnects/reconnects slowly over and over.

However, I have a well regarded Netgear WiFi router and followed a suggestion to tell it I live in the US which opens up extra 5Ghz WiFi channels and blow me.. as soon as I did this and set it to channel 165 the car grabs onto the network with 2 bars and doesn't disconnect. I was previously on channel 48 which various WiFi analysers said was fine albeit with some neighbour contention.

I am convinced something is wrong re: 2.4Ghz but at least this helps me in the short term.

Maybe there is something useful here to someone else.

It's still likely to be uselessa all other places where 2.4Ghz the most likely frequency to connect to (longer range) - I hope my car has an antenna disconnect or similar to explain this.
I bought Google WiFi package with 3 extenders, one of which is in my garage. I get full bars there. The WiFi antenna is located inside the passengers side rear view mirror. Hope this helps.

The antenna is only in one of the side mirrors, which means if it’s furthest from the AP it’s the absolute worst position as the signal has to go through a couple of metres of metal.

Try turning the car so the other mirror faces the house and see what you get

Yep - have been battling this for weeks since moving router - have tried both positions.

Either way something's wrong. It also doesn't pick up WiFi at my work/parents house and so on despite phones picking up WiFi in same location (with admitedly 1 bar only but a reasonable 54Mb connection).