Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

poor WiFi = Sleeping Beauty's "poison apple"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have marginal WiFi (from the house WAP) in my garage and have had intermittent ability to connected to MS from my iPhone. Finally I turned WiFi access off and even deleted the password configuration from my MS to force 3G connectivity when parked. Seemed to work OK but remote access takes a long time (like three time-outs on the App) before it woke up. Then all was good.

So I've been on vacation for the last ten days and have *never* been able to wake my sleeping beauty remotely.

I think its due to WiFi somehow being re-enabled in spite of my attempts to force 3G.

Or maybe the Evil Stepmother snuck into my garage with the poisoned apple and now Sleeping Beauty is waiting for her handsome prince to come home and kiss her awake :biggrin:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rossy
I don't like that it forces you to try and wifi connect. Mine barely works in the house
the car is outside
Can you tell the car to forget your wifi info? Mine pestered me incessantly when I got it to connect to a Wifi hotspot (my garage doesn't get signal), so I parked it in front of a Starbucks or McDonalds or something and connected to that once to get it to leave me alone.

Is a wifi extender an option? $40 .... more for a high power unit .... but may solve more than the car issue.

I bought a power line (110V AC) extender by Cisco. Excellent WiFi signal (of course) but turns out my garage is on its own 200A sub panel (also runs two heat pumps plus my HPWC) vs. the house (where the other end of the power line extender is plugged in). So the data rate was super slow. Yikes, if its not one thing its another.

Can you tell the car to forget your wifi info? Mine pestered me incessantly when I got it to connect to a Wifi hotspot (my garage doesn't get signal), so I parked it in front of a Starbucks or McDonalds or something and connected to that once to get it to leave me alone.

good idea. Might work.

I'd rather not have wifi at all at my house but it is nice for laptop/icrap. I was hooking up a small router once and holding the plastic case and my arm started to go numb and tingly up to my shoulder. very strange and kind of scary. Wasn't an electrical shock like DC or AC to ground/neutral feeling either

As a father of a little girl, your story has blatant errors... and since I have no idea about the car technical issues, I will instead correct your story mistakes.

Princess Aurora, who is also known as "the sleeping beauty" fell into a sleep after she pricked her finger on a spindle. On the other hand, the evil stepmother (Queen) of princess Snow White disguises herself as a little old lady and offers Snow White the poison apple before she falls into a sleep.

I feel so manly now that I put you in your place :tongue:

As a father of a little girl, your story has blatant errors... and since I have no idea about the car technical issues, I will instead correct your story mistakes.

Princess Aurora, who is also known as "the sleeping beauty" fell into a sleep after she pricked her finger on a spindle. On the other hand, the evil stepmother (Queen) of princess Snow White disguises herself as a little old lady and offers Snow White the poison apple before she falls into a sleep.

fixed (sort of, can't seem to edit the title). Lets not mash up our fairy tales. (Or it could be an episode of Once Upon A Time) :)

There is a slider at the top for on/off, I think. I'm not in front of my car right now. I turned it off and it has never asked me to connect again.

I am still running 5.6. Maybe it is a bug that was introduced later.

... Finally I turned WiFi access off and even deleted the password configuration from my MS to force 3G connectivity when parked .... I think its due to WiFi somehow being re-enabled in spite of my attempts to force 3G.
I don't think it can automatically choose to try to connect to your home network, when you have made it forget the network. Did you make it forget the hostspot altogether or just the password?

Mine successfully connects to my wifi and it STILL asks me to connect very morning even though it's already connected at full strength!!! Very annoying.
There is a short discussion about this here:
Set Up WiFi Popup

I'm starting to think my won't-wake-up problem goes deeper than WiFi vs. 3G. After returning home from my 2 weeks of traveling I find the car works great (wake up is normal when opening the door, and handles always auto-extend in the morning) *BUT* my remote access (iPhone and visibletesla) always say car is in deep sleep and does not awake even after 3-6 minutes of retrying.

I've emailed my local service to see if they can remotely contact the car and find out anything abnormal. No response yet.

But the welcome home kiss was good for me anyhow..... :biggrin:

I'm going to rate this Informative

I bought a power line (110V AC) extender by Cisco. Excellent WiFi signal (of course) but turns out my garage is on its own 200A sub panel (also runs two heat pumps plus my HPWC) vs. the house (where the other end of the power line extender is plugged in). So the data rate was super slow. Yikes, if its not one thing its another.
I've had a lot of experience deploying wifi, and honestly, I've found power line AV based networking to be absolutely a horrible waste of time. You'd intuitively think that a wire transmits data better than air, but no. I'd strongly recommend a mesh networking or wifi-based repeater setup for extending network range. In my experience it is both faster and more reliable (and far less likely to be affected by some random light bulb or kitchen appliance) than powerline networking.

I've had a lot of experience deploying wifi, and honestly, I've found power line AV based networking to be absolutely a horrible waste of time. You'd intuitively think that a wire transmits data better than air, but no. I'd strongly recommend a mesh networking or wifi-based repeater setup for extending network range. In my experience it is both faster and more reliable (and far less likely to be affected by some random light bulb or kitchen appliance) than powerline networking.
yes indeed! I finally resolved the problems by running an underground ethernet cable to my garage and placing another EERO mesh WiFi in the garage. Now I get full signal strength and reliable connections to the car.

Reactions: chillaban