Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poor windshield wiper performance in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that my driver-side wiper leaves residue/streaks along where the bottom half of the wiper travels. I thought that the wiper blades needed to be replaced, so I had that done a couple of weeks ago when the vehicle was in for service for something else (a coolant leak). But this is still happening with brand new wiper blades. See attached image.

This can be significant enough that it obscures my view and feels dangerous. I don't recall it happening when it was raining during the warmer months; it seems to be an issue now that it's colder.

I have wiper fluid that is rated to -20F, and I often turn on the windshield wiper warmer when I get in the car. I haven't contacted service about it yet. I wanted to check with folks on the forum first to see if anyone else has this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0173.jpeg
    IMG_0173.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 191
A few comments:
Are you sure you properly diluted your washer fluid?
I recommend using Opti-coat No Rinse as your washer fluid in addition to the anti-freeze. It cleans really well and leaves behind a polymer that helps the windshield stay cleaner longer. Plus, it can't leave hard water spots on your paint and glass when it dries, especially if you're not using distilled water.
Lastly, a Glassparency ceramic glass coating makes a HUGE difference and helps your wipers quite a bit during rainy weather, and it's guaranteed for 3 years!

I complained about poor windshield/blade contact at the dealer at my first service and they replaced the driver's side blade and the problem went away. They've worked great in the cold and ice so far since then (they were leaving a bad streak right in my line of sight before)

The streaking you're experiencing looks like run of the mill winter road salt/wiper fluid grossness, just in an inconvenient spot

You should "superclean" your windshield to get all residues/contaminants off. There are videos on YouTube on how to do this, but I've used 0000 steel wool to scrub down my windshield after cleaning with Invisible Glass. After the 0000 steel wool, again clean with Invisible Glass. Some instructions use a clay bar and lubricant instead of 0000 steel wool.

You should "superclean" your windshield to get all residues/contaminants off. There are videos on YouTube on how to do this, but I've used 0000 steel wool to scrub down my windshield after cleaning with Invisible Glass. After the 0000 steel wool, again clean with Invisible Glass. Some instructions use a clay bar and lubricant instead of 0000 steel wool.
Invisible glass is the great. Smell toxic, but the windows are so clean.

I have the same issue - bottom part of the driver's side looks just like the OP's picture. It's as if the windshield fluid does not get to that part. Slowing down/stopping and pressing the wash button for a LONG time with a lot of fluid finally removes it. I wonder how Tesla screwed up such a basic functionality (while being so successful in other areas.)

Has anybody found a solution that does not involve coating/scrubbing/using special and rare concoctions blessed by the delai lama? In my other cars I just... use the wipers... (also - automatic wipers actually works!)

(I can try to get the wiper replaced if it's worth the effort.)

A few comments:
Are you sure you properly diluted your washer fluid?
I recommend using Opti-coat No Rinse as your washer fluid in addition to the anti-freeze. It cleans really well and leaves behind a polymer that helps the windshield stay cleaner longer. Plus, it can't leave hard water spots on your paint and glass when it dries, especially if you're not using distilled water.
Lastly, a Glassparency ceramic glass coating makes a HUGE difference and helps your wipers quite a bit during rainy weather, and it's guaranteed for 3 years!

I would like to try the Opti-Coat No Rinse, but I'm in a winter climate. You mentioned adding anti-freeze somewhere. What kind of anti-freeze?

Sorry, I'm new to this. What does "diluting down to 10F" mean? What ratio of OCNR to washer fluid anti-freeze would that be? I probably need to go down to 0F to be safe, so how would I do that?
OCNR will freeze at 32F; your ready-to-use anti-freeze will freeze at let’s say -20F (they all vary but it’s printed in their label). So if you dilute it 1:1 with OCNR then your new mixture will freeze at 6F because that’s halfway between 32 and -20.
To calculate the freezing point of different dilution ratios is a little more complex, which I can go into at length if anyone needs to fall asleep.
Also remember that once you’ve filled your car’s reservoir, run the pump a little so you get your anti-freeze solution into all the lines.

OCNR will freeze at 32F; your ready-to-use anti-freeze will freeze at let’s say -20F (they all vary but it’s printed in their label). So if you dilute it 1:1 with OCNR then your new mixture will freeze at 6F because that’s halfway between 32 and -20.
To calculate the freezing point of different dilution ratios is a little more complex, which I can go into at length if anyone needs to fall asleep.
Also remember that once you’ve filled your car’s reservoir, run the pump a little so you get your anti-freeze solution into all the lines.
Ok, that makes sense. One more clarifying question. Is "washer fluid anti-freeze" different than just regular washer fluid that has anti-freeze in it, rated down to -20F? Like this? Or are we talking about mixing OCNR 1:1 (or maybe 1.25:1 in my case) with this regular washer fluid that has anti-freeze in it and is rated to -20F?

Ok, that makes sense. One more clarifying question. Is "washer fluid anti-freeze" different than just regular washer fluid that has anti-freeze in it, rated down to -20F? Like this? Or are we talking about mixing OCNR 1:1 (or maybe 1.25:1 in my case) with this regular washer fluid that has anti-freeze in it and is rated to -20F?
Yes thy are the same, people just use different terms to describe the same type of product.

I need to do a mixture of OCNR and -20F wiper fluid that will not freeze down to -5F. You said a 1:1 ratio would freeze at 6F, which makes sense, but also that calculating the freezing point of different dilution ratios is more complex. What ratio would I need to keep it safe down to -5F?