Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poorly Designed Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup that's why I saved the $2000 dollars and spent $400 to powder coat the geminis. I scratched them last night at a super charger but didn't hurt as bad, nothing a little sharpie cant fix.
I did the same thing besides the super charger scratch. Figured I could save the money for now and always upgrade to better looking wheels and much better riding tires once they wear out and use the Geminis as spares (or keep one as a spare and sale the remainders as spares for others!)

Reactions: hnguy054
It's for aerodynamics and for getting better range out of your EV.

If you want to add more protection to the rims, just get wider tires.

Me personally, I'd rather get wider tires and lose 1-3% driving efficiency than to get a curb rash.

What kind of engineer would design an expensive wheel that has it's edge on the same plane as the tire's sidewall? With these wheels, if you touch a cement curb even for one second while barely moving during parking, your wheel's finish is toast. Tires should prevent this. Vey poor design. Very unhappy.

Rant over.
A lot of wheels are like this, not just Tesla's. That's why people invented these things:
https://www.amazon.com/Set-ORIGINAL-AlloyGator-Wheel-Protectors/dp/B074KFXF4V/

Yup that's why I saved the $2000 dollars and spent $400 to powder coat the geminis. I scratched them last night at a super charger but didn't hurt as bad, nothing a little sharpie cant fix.
It’s not just curb rash it’s snow chains too. Will be super expensive to find chains that won’t damage your Induction wheels. People damaged their 20” I wheels after using chains sold on the Tesla website. I might have to get those hideous Geminis and power coat them instead

Just throw some 265’s on.

Attachments

• CF1F04F8-C868-40FD-A3EE-7F2686CFE2DF.jpeg
    CF1F04F8-C868-40FD-A3EE-7F2686CFE2DF.jpeg
    677.4 KB · Views: 223