Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poorly Designed Induction Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else had issues with tire shops and inductions? I just had a tire repaired and they scratched all of the spokes when they were mounting or unmounting the tire
I had to replace a tire already due to a pothole with about 450 miles on the car. I went to my favorite tire shop near me and sat and watched them do everything, including rebalancing all 4 wheels/tires and no wheels were damaged at all. The wheels shouldn't be damaged replacing a tire. There are a bunch of wheels nicer and more difficult than the inductions that work fine on other cars.

My previous car had 18" sport wheels with no tire protection similar to the Y. I never had an issue in 4 years. I can't say the same about my wife the handful of times she borrowed my car...

I agree. Here is what I am dealing with right now from the tire shop…

89B27BAA-CBC8-4B01-ADFD-6B7686943FDF.jpeg

What kind of engineer would design an expensive wheel that has it's edge on the same plane as the tire's sidewall? With these wheels, if you touch a cement curb even for one second while barely moving during parking, your wheel's finish is toast. Tires should prevent this. Vey poor design. Very unhappy.

Rant over.

How I read this

"I F'd up and curbed my rim but it's Tesla's fault for designing an aerodynamic 20" rim that is flat with the tire!"

Poorly designed rim? Or poorly designed cement curb? 🤣🤣

Has anyone else had issues with tire shops and inductions? I just had a tire repaired and they scratched all of the spokes when they were mounting or unmounting the tire
This is true of any wheel, not just the Inductions. I've been using custom 3-piece wheels on my weekend cars for years. You don't take expensive custom wheels to any tire shop because it's easy to damage them if the operators aren't concerned about scuffing them up. You've probably owned previous cars that had the wheels slightly damaged by a tire shop but never noticed the damage since most factory wheels are silver. It's more noticeable when your wheels are black or gray, like the Inductions.

This is a byproduct of rim vs tire size. I have the stock 19 inch wheels which use a 9.5 inch wide rim. When I replaced them with aftermarket rims I used an 8.5 inch rim ( acceptable size and load rating) for the same size tire. As you can see in the pictures, the stock rim and tire will have the rim hitting a curb whereas the smaller rim exposes the tire to curb rash first.

Attachments

• IMG_7845.JPG
    IMG_7845.JPG
    324.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_7846.JPG
    IMG_7846.JPG
    422 KB · Views: 155
I rashed an induction wheel the third week I had the car, it was a huge bummer. A little sharpie later, needless to say I've been extra careful when parallel parking after that. I take full responsibility for hitting the curb, as I clearly came in way too hot, on one of those curbs with a metal piece on it at that.

That being said, it's easy to also only blame the driver, I think there is some shared responsibility. This car obviously isn't the only one with this type of design, but there is a reason for a lot of people scratching them so easily. I also agree that them being black (and expensive) doesn't help either with people's frustration, as it's so noticeable.

Cars of today are a no-contact sport. You can't touch the car to anything without ugly damage. They're not like my first car which was a 75 Mercury that could take hits to the wheels, body panels, and bumpers without receiving any damage. Translation: You have to be a better driver today, or deal with the damage, but don't blame the car.

Reactions: Brian-MS90D
I'd rather keep the same tire size and get narrower rims. My "Model 3 only" TSV rims from Tsportline work perfectly well on my Model Y PUP. No more confused speedo with the same tire sidewall protection.
I got the Model 3 TSTs! I agonized over deciding between the TSTs and the TSVs. I ended up going with the TSTs because of the weight difference. How do you like the TSVs? Size? How's the ride?

I got the Model 3 TSTs! I agonized over deciding between the TSTs and the TSVs. I ended up going with the TSTs because of the weight difference. How do you like the TSVs? Size? How's the ride?
So far pretty good, outside of some additive resonance happening at ~43mph and ~78mph. I think this is related to my tire choice though. I'm still investigating however.

The slightly increased power efficiency is noticeable though...