TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Poorly researched "news" stories. As a news anchor, I'm tired of it

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scott jones, Jul 7, 2016.

1. scott jones

scott jones Member

It seems ANY day there can be a story that's perceived as negative for Tesla, I'm reading the script on our morning news.
    I have to correct and change them all the time as they seem to be full of opinion, and are slanted. I have no doubt they are copied stories from magazine and newspaper articles that have ties to the ICE industry. So this was my note to our producers this morning. Excuse it, as it was written quickly to prevent MORE such stories showing up on our air.

Producers:
    The corporate media world loves anti Tesla stories (stories against electric vehicles)
    Every time there is ANYTHING "wrong" with Tesla we do a story on it, complete with their slanted verbiage. Yet we never make corrections the following day when the claims are often disproved.

Today's Tesla example was about how long it took for Tesla to report an accident.

What I'm saying is these are stories that affect one vehicle at a time. Generally they are over sensationalized and are pushed by anti electric media outlets so we should be careful running them, or running them as is. Imagine if we did EVERY story that affected one GM or Toyota vehicle? We'd never have room for any other news. We only do stories on their cars if they involve thousands of vehicles.

PS, I'm not saying this because I'm a former a Tesla owner but because it's an obvious attempt to stop Tesla competing with gas vehicles, especially with their growing market share. Stories like we are running are all over the Internet and now they're making there way to local TV stations like ours, and they are pushed by the corporate world that has a vested interest in traditional car makers... be mindful.

• Like x 18
    • Love x 6
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

wow, good for you!

3. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Genesis - The Beginning - MS60D in its nest

4. jdw

jdw Member

Thank you for trying to bring some balance, objectivity and even vetting of facts to the news!

It does affect the credibility of any news source when you see a report about something you know about being misrepresented. Makes you wonder what else they get wrong ...

5. ElectricTundra

Producers, editors, and writers respond to the feedback they receive from anchors and management. When they receive no pushback and reporters and anchors largely parrot whatever they put out then some or many will slant stuff however they want. It's human nature. It's surprisingly difficult for people to be objective and doubly so when pressed with a high workload. A good anchor who pushes back on stuff to insure accuracy and objectivity will keep them focused on producing copy that is accurate. Good on you for doing so.

• Like x 1
  6. msnow

msnow Active Member

I was with you until you stated the motive. EV's have a very tiny market share and there's no proof that the groups you claim are behind it is fact. More likely bad reporting, sensationalism or many other reasons as to why this happens.

• Like x 1
  7. X Yes?

X Yes? Member

The media is generally Liberal (ask Sara Palin) and would tend to be on the "green" side of things. They certainly hammered GM on the ignition switch and Toyota and Honda. Systems such as AutoPilot are very risky, companies such as GM and Mercedes would never beta test on consumers. So when an accident occurs, they're gonna report it. Not likely you'll get a "fair and balanced" story from Fox News.

8. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

You just have to think about the states where Tesla is being given the hardest time and it's pretty clear what the motivations for these kinds of things are, I've lived in a lot of states at this point but some examples of the attitudes in places I've lived
    TX: Can't buy directly but has galleries and service centers - A state where oil is a big part of the economy...
    MI: Can't buy and has no galleries or service centers - The home of the big 3 in the American auto industry...

on the other end
    CA: Headquarters. I test drove at the (quite large) Buena Park gallery/SC since my parents live like 10 minutes away - A state which has always been well ahead of the curve in alternative forms of energy such as solar/wind. Also home to many tech companies

9. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I don't agree, anchors and reporters survive by being parrots, have you ever heard the term talking heads?
    if the anchors push back on the material they are given to read or if a reporter doesn't stick to the narrative being sold they will fall out of favor with management, will get crappy assignments and ultimately be fired. have you ever noticed the difference in reportage when an anchor is reporting on a live event versus the reportage after the writers/producers have ample time to script the narrative?

the power over the content presented to the public is determined by management not the anchors or reporters.

10. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

If you watch TV, you might notice that a large percentage of advertisements are for vehicles. A conspiracy theorist might say that they have been threatening to withhold ad revenue unless the related news outlet pushes negative EV news. Seems far-fetched, though.

11. McRat

McRat Active Member

No Chevrolet Volt has ever had a lithium battery fire in the wild, and there are more Volts than Teslas. Only a poorly handled NHTSA test procedure of a post-testing handling of 2 cars caused a preventative incident.

In fact, the NHTSA admits this:

However, media coverage of the Volt fires makes the Tesla press seem very trivial in coverage. People to this day believe EV's are a fire risk due to over-zealous reporting before the facts where available to create a story from.

You might see Tesla as being "picked on", but in fact, Tesla gets more press per car, and more favorable press than virtually all cars sold today.

If Tesla is going to become mainstream, they need to prepare for the Media War Against Cars which have been in fashion since Ralph Nader got rich by trashing a car that handle much like a Porsche and other rear engine rwd cars. In the end, the Corvair handled better than most conventional front engine RWD cars. But it was too late. Ralphy had exaggerate the story for profit and killed a lot of jobs and made no effect on actual safety.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Hmmm...if you are going to make a statement, at least provide a credible source.

"The media" is most definitely not "generally liberal". American "media" is diverse and should not be stereotyped.

The words "Tesla", "crash", and "Autopilot" in a headline attracts clicks. It's that simple. The text in the article under that headline is sometimes, though not always, more nuanced than the headline.

• Helpful x 1
  13. buckerine

buckerine Member

Thank you for this. I, too, am tired of the rampant click bait journalism on Tesla these days. It wouldn't ordinarily bother me that much, but here's a company that's actually doing a great amount of good for the world (putting aside profit motives, of course) and pushing through new technology that should ultimately prove to be beneficial to all of humanity. Meanwhile, journalists are distorting facts and almost trying to destroy its reputation. Just despicable.

14. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Incorrect. The media is generally conservative. Notice how they played Trump rallies in full, cutting into other programs to do so, cutting into speeches by a Dem candidate to show an empty podium saying that they're waiting for Trump to begin. Ignoring completely another Dem candidate.

• Informative x 1
  15. msnow

msnow Active Member

Correction, "the media" is focused on *ratings* which explains why they cut away to those rallies.

16. aus

aus Member

The media is biased???
    Can't be. Really???
    S'toon has his head in the sand or is watching Fox if he/she thinks the media is CONSERVATIVE???
    I'm more shocked at that statement than OP's.

17. X Yes?

X Yes? Member

They play Trump rallies because any exposure makes him look bad to the rational segment of the population. Conservatives like Trump and Palin have been whining for years about the media. Thus, the birth of Fox News.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

It's very important to recognize that there's someone who writes the article, someone who edits the article and someone who creates the headline. Try to avoid criticizing an article because the headline doesn't accurately portray the content. It's a waste of effort and would be like judging a car based on the car salesman.

19. Jlwine

Jlwine Member

Scott I have not been a regular viewer of your newscast--I am now! I appreciate someone who still has journalistic ethics and standards.

• Like x 1
  20. kort677

kort677 Active Member

cute story, too bad it is nowhere close to being factual. fox news was around long before palin or trump.