Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poorly researched "news" stories. As a news anchor, I'm tired of it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP: Why are you a former Tesla owner? what happened?

Great note to your Producers. This fight against big oil, ICE gaints, dealership mafia has to be come from grass roots levels like this.
Thanks.
I wrecked it April 1 of last year... Totaled! Yes, on April Fools day.
Early early morning, other driver had no lights at all on the highway. I braked while changing lanes as I noticed him...spun, hit the cement divider. I was mostly fine.

I've read all the responses just to let you know. Our producers don't have a slant negative about Tesla, but they do copy stories from the bigger media services without knowing enough about their validity. I don't expect them to necessarily do otherwise, as most people trust the information they are receiving. I follow all the stories about Tesla, so I obviously know more than they do. I just wanted to make sure they are aware of the slant that often accompanies Tesla stories in TV news.

PS, I'm not against ICE vehicles! I'm still driving my 2009 Genesis I bought in 2009 (car of the year) and kept while I had my Tesla. Matter of fact, ONCE Tesla offers more non plastic interiors, worthy of a $100,000 car, I'll buy another one. "And that's the way it is." Model 3 reservation holder

No Chevrolet Volt has ever had a lithium battery fire in the wild, and there are more Volts than Teslas. Only a poorly handled NHTSA test procedure of a post-testing handling of 2 cars caused a preventative incident.

In fact, the NHTSA admits this:

However, media coverage of the Volt fires makes the Tesla press seem very trivial in coverage. People to this day believe EV's are a fire risk due to over-zealous reporting before the facts where available to create a story from.

You might see Tesla as being "picked on", but in fact, Tesla gets more press per car, and more favorable press than virtually all cars sold today.

If Tesla is going to become mainstream, they need to prepare for the Media War Against Cars which have been in fashion since Ralph Nader got rich by trashing a car that handle much like a Porsche and other rear engine rwd cars. In the end, the Corvair handled better than most conventional front engine RWD cars. But it was too late. Ralphy had exaggerate the story for profit and killed a lot of jobs and made no effect on actual safety.

Actually I've never read on air one fire story about the Volt. I have read stories about: Teslas batteries, door handles, summoning feature, fires, and many about autonomous features. Stories regarding most brands... Even if they result in hundreds of deaths, rarely last more than a one day news cycle, unless it's about Takata airbags.

I was with you until you stated the motive. EV's have a very tiny market share and there's no proof that the groups you claim are behind it is fact. More likely bad reporting, sensationalism or many other reasons as to why this happens.

Yes they do have a very tiny market share. But note I wrote "a growing market share." ICE manufacturers have noticed that increasing share. And ever since the announcement of a mass market vehicle (model 3), the pushback of anti Tesla stories has ramped up. We aren't just hearing every little anti Tesla story coincidentally. Many other cars have similar features that you never hear about negatively when something goes "wrong", unless you really search to find them. And many car companies deliberately hide fatal flaws for years. Imagine if Tesla did what others do.

If autopilot or TACC are not turned on, you might as well be in a Volvo or Subaru. It's not like you buy the AP equipped car, and it drives itself away and looks for big trucks to hit.

If you activate autopilot without any research, reading, or understanding of the feature, is there no accountability ? It's always "someone else's" fault. Would anyone agree that alcohol causes more automotive deaths than autopilot ? I don't see the alcohol companies being called out, when their product, that is out of beta now causes an accident, and I didn't agree to that either.

I still think Tesla does need to rename the feature, and establish a better method of ensuring people that have the option understand it. I know a smart guy who recently got a Tesla, and thinks it can't hit anything, or be hit. I keep giving him the "no it won't" lecture but they need to ensure this feature is well understood. Better get in front of the issue before it gets any worse.

Reactions: scott jones
The day there is a case where a driver attempts to take control of the vehicle and AP won't allow it, and instead forces a crash--then you can argue that AP is a danger. If a driver uses AP as designed, and maintains road awareness at all times it is impossible for AP to increase the likelihood of a crash. A non-attentive driver on the other hand can cause a fatal crash, it happens multiple times every hour of every day. Of all of those fatalities we know of one that may involve the use of AP

Reactions: scott jones