Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pop/click sound when full turning (Video)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone experienced this click/pop sound?
I’ve brought it to service, they’ve charged me diagnostic, parts and labor fees, a couple of days in service, they returned the vehicle with a worse click sound than before. Tesla service in Delray Beach FL is a joke.

If it clicks/pops while the car is stationary as well, it def is the steering rack bolts that need replacing/shims added by the SB @ShawnA mentioned. My P85D was affected shortly after I picked up the car. Ranger performed the fix.
I tried while stationary, the suspension makes all king of weird noises but not the same pop/click sound, that specific one I can one hear while driving slow making sharp turns (my building garage for example)

Hi @Inboxrod ,

Check at the NHTSA recall website. You will need your VIN

You may want to try mobile service. There are good technicians in your area
and they will take the time to listen to your noises.

Good luck,

Shawn

I brought it back to service, they’ve spent 2 more days with the it and returned with same issue saying that they couldn’t find where the sound is coming from.

Have you asked the Service Center if all the recalls (including the steering wheel bolt) have been done on your car?

BTW, apparently Tesla does not always report the recall work completion to NHTSA. Two of mine (the airbag and the steering bolt) which were done on Feb. 2019 are still not reported to NHTSA as "completed"!!!

Have you asked the Service Center if all the recalls (including the steering wheel bolt) have been done on your car?

BTW, apparently Tesla does not always report the recall work completion to NHTSA. Two of mine (the airbag and the steering bolt) which were done on Feb. 2019 are still not reported to NHTSA as "completed"!!!
I forgot to ask SC directly, but NHTSA website shows all recalls were completed.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Did you ever figure this out? The video isn't working anymore. My 2015 85D is making a popping noise when turning at low speeds. It seems like something is shifting position in the front end, if I make a series of consecutive turns in the same direction it only makes the noise the first time, but if I turn left, right, left, right, etc it will make the noise pretty much every time. It seems to be worse when going up or down an incline like into a parking lot or driveway. The car has had the steering rack bolt repair done a few years ago. I took a video where the noise is clearly audible, it's a low speed turn into a parking lot. The noise happens at :04 and :06, easy to hear if the volume is turned up.

Any suggestions? Other than the noise everything feels tight, the car drives normally.

1631236084378.png

Last edited: