Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pop goes the something...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After many attempts to make contact with the Manager at my SC, I finally got an email attempting to explain the situation. He said the battery was "in need of a power switch replacement." And that the "process can take from 4 to 6 weeks" at the factory. And lastly the "battery will be serviced and repaired to the most current level available." I plan on decamping to AZ in 3 weeks, so not sure what's gonna happen if this isn't resolved by then.

After many attempts to make contact with the Manager at my SC, I finally got an email attempting to explain the situation. He said the battery was "in need of a power switch replacement." And that the "process can take from 4 to 6 weeks" at the factory. And lastly the "battery will be serviced and repaired to the most current level available." I plan on decamping to AZ in 3 weeks, so not sure what's gonna happen if this isn't resolved by then.

Bill, so sorry for you and your lovely car. It least you made it home OK from BC! Thanks for documenting all this, and insisting on what is fair.

I dare say, being 2,500 miles from home with the desolation of central South Dakota and Montana ahead of me, and the temperatures plummeting toward freezing, and my odometer advancing on 42,000 miles, I am NOT feeling warm and fuzzy about my A pack!

No, it wouldn't. It would give A packs hope of sucking less someday.

My A pack does not suck. It is a marvel of engineering and I am proud of it, knowing that it it is doing its best for me. I will love and support my A pack as long as it loves and supports me.

(I do hope you get a satisfactory resolution, Bill, but I wouldn't worry about the letter on the outside of your pack)

Bill
Any conjecture on why they would be so tight lipped about it? It creates customer animosity to be that way and we are their best advocates. I don't get it.
Where does one look on the battery pack to see which version the battery is?

I actually asked him that and was told that the "factory" does not provide any details on what they do or replace.

I wonder how difficult it is for them to replace an entire "module" within an existing battery. I think there's 14 sections in the 85 kWh battery so I am referring to replacing one of these 14 sections (a module). The pictures posted by the user who disassembled the 85 KWH battery make it look fairly complicated.

another problem is that a "new" replacement module has more capacity than the existing modules (due to use/cycles). Maybe use cells with similar cycles as the overall used battery.

It'll be interesting to see if Tesla ever goes down this road of refurbishing batteries packs Beyond just changing out power switches.

- - - Updated - - -

You can see the battery sticker and what type of pack you have a D etc. if you turn your tire to the left on the passenger side and look for the sticker down in the front wheel well.

Speaking as an owner of an A pack with >30K miles on it, if the A packs are at a statistically higher risk of having this problem, they need to address it sooner rather than later. I can think of a number of scenarios where losing power would be very bad or even fatal. I for one, do not want to be accelerating in a corner on 17 (think twisty 2-lane road in the hills with no shoulders and sometimes cliffs) and have the pack fail on me. Or in the middle of heavy highway traffic changing lanes.

I would be pleased as punch if they could retrofit A packs into B or D packs but I doubt they can without replacing all the cells.

I can live with the slower supercharging time (although I'd prefer not to :)). Losing power in the middle of accelerating ... very very bad.

I'm on attempt number two for upgrading of my pack.... First try, SC found errors after reinstalling my pack. Pulled it, put the loaner back in and sent mine back to Freemont again.

It's been about a month and not a word.
Any update on your battery repair? I'm on day 12 with no updates. I've sent multiple emails to [email protected] and have yet to receive even one reply. One interesting thing. I got the standard Tesla Feedback Survey on my the initial visit on Sept 29th and I scored it lower than I normally would. They do read those things as I immediately got a follow-up email asking why my scoring was so low (6's out of 10). Claimed my attached comments would be presented to Jerome Guillen at a weekly meeting. We shall see.

I received a call on October 27th from my SC that my battery had been "repaired" and returned to the SC. Unfortunatley I was leaving that day for a month in Arizona so will have to wait until my return to have the repaired battery installed. The lack of new incidents being reported on TMC is encouraging that the "A" packs are being taken care of.

Well, after 2 1/2 months, my "A" battery has been repaired and my Tess is tucked into bed in my garage. While I wasn't happy that the battery failed, TM SC in San Rafael really provided the best service possible. My hat's off to them. TM not so much. They have gunny-sacked the issue of the A battery failures. I can only assume that what was done at the factory resolved an undisclosed problem with undisclosed repairs. Trust me. Oh well, still love my Tess!